Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Brewing home-roasted coffee
Alexkrawczyk
Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to homeroasting, and have been doing it exclusively out of a cast iron skillet.

I have had varied success, but my coffee recently has been taking an extremely long time to filter through my Chemex. Could this be something due to my green beans or my roasting technique? I have tried changing my grind settings and have had no luck.

Thanks for your help,
Alex

renatoa
How long was the roast? passed through first crack ?

Alexkrawczyk
Roasted about 2/3 cups, for 9 minutes. The first crack was just about done when I took the beans off, but I could be mistaken. Should I be waiting a certain amount of time after all the beans have gone through the first crack? I'm just worried some will start the second crack before others are done with the first.

renatoa
Sounds a right done roast.
Then I would look at the grinder, maybe the dial is off, by one turn...
On my Feldgrind 1.2 is espresso, while 2.2 is Aeropress...

Alexkrawczyk
I use a Hario slim hand grinder, and I cleaned the whole thing out, but unfortunately the filtering problem still exists. Any other possible causes for this?

jkoll42
Have you had success with the Chemex using other beans with that grinder previously?

I have a Chemex that is basically only used anymore for camping because those filters love to clog with fines (and this is even with my Bunn LPG which has a very uniform grind) and being a cone they often run into slow pours.

IMHO in my experience for pourover/drip the actual roast rarely messes with pour times unless you completely massacre a roast. Espresso is a whole different story.

That leaves 1) The grind 2) the technique of the pour or 3) the quantity of coffee grinds used.

I don't have experience with Hario Slims but if it's putting out a lot of fines even changing to a courser grind setting is still going to give filter clogging fines especially on a Chemex filter.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

renatoa
Try sieve the grounds with a standard flour sieve, which should be calibrated to 800-850 microns (mesh No. 20), if a quality sieve.
If more than 30% under 800 fraction, then the grinding is the reason.
Sieving my grounds result is in the 20-25% ballpark for this size of particles.
Almost all manual grinders, even the best, rated "for brew" are in the 20-30% range for this fraction.

jkoll42
Alex - if you want to post a pic of the grind we can let you know if it looks off. Just hold the Hario over some white paper and let the grinds lightly "dust" the paper so there is still white visible (no piles)

-Jon
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

Jump to Forum: