renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
greyberry2, N C, welcome cup

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,210
Newest Member: N C

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Chaff collector 3d model
a1970gto
I haven't tried this yet, I still haven't received my 3d printer. I'm hoping to be able to print it within the month. I'm planning on printing this on the 3dTop filament and annealing it afterwards. This is the filament that CK recommended from his Transparent Fluid Bed design.

There are quite a few files on the grabcad site already, but if you need any different ones I'll do my best to get you what you need. I use F360 and have step and stl files on there already. I'm also new to modeling, but I've spent quite a bit of time on it and hopefully will work rather well.

Any feedback would also be very welcome. Thanks! Enjoy!

https://grabcad.c...llector-19

jkoll42
It will be interesting to see how it works with how much surface area chaff has compared to weight.

Most cyclonic filtration I've had involvement with (wood dust collection) generally has the waste exit a smaller diameter than inlet/exit to encourage clean air to exit correctly. Was there a reasoning behind the large waste diameter?
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

a1970gto
I wanted to use a mason jar to collect the chaff, the larger 28 oz ones. Not sure if that will work, but it seemed like a 2 liter bottle or soda bottle would clog. My goal was to have a sealed environment to control smoke and to have a removeable collection bin. Any other ideas of something that would work?

lil_roasty
I 3D printed a chaff collector out of metal.

I printed the top "swirly" bit including the intake and exhaust ports, and then used a tri-clamp conical reducer to a canning (mason) jar for the 'body'. It works very well. Pressure drop across the cyclone is perhaps a bit higher than I'd like but the collection efficiency is extremely good so I can't complain. As long as your blower has sufficient headroom, should be ok.

Your design looks very nice! If you chopped the bottom off you could use the concentric reducer like I did, or whatever works for you.

I'd recommend printing out some cheap low temp test parts and testing cold before using the high temp filament. I made a few prototypes out of plastic and tested them without the heater. When I was satisfied (after a couple tweaks), I printed the final version out of metal. That high temp plastic (https://3dk.berli...-resistent) would probably work instead of metal as long as you keep an eye on temps and don't exceed 230C exhaust temp or it could get melty.

I tested by putting some chaff on the edge of a table and using the cyclone intake to suck it all up using my hand-held Dyson vacuum for "sucking power" on the exhaust side, verifying that none of the chaff ended up in the vacuum. Seems to work just as well when "pushing" air through it as when I tested "pulling" air with the vacuum cleaner. So far I have seen literally no chaff (even the tiny particles) come out the exhaust of my design, I'm honestly surprised how effective it is.

The tri clamp to mason jar strategy works extremely well, I highly recommend it! It looks nice, locks up very tight without leaks, and is easy to get in/out for emptying.

I used...
- 1 "Jaybird ULTIMATE Tri Clover CANNING JAR YEAST HARVESTER 4 Conical Fermenter Wash" 1.5" tri clamp to wide mouth mason jar adapter from ebay seller norcalbrewingsolutions https://www.ebay....2029855967
- 1 triclamp 3" x 1.5" concentric reducer from glacier tanks https://www.glaci...0-150.html
- Standard silicone tri clamp gaskets between all flanges, also from glacier tanks
- 3D printed top piece (see pictures). The design is a little bit funky because it's designed for additive manufacturing and was made to print with minimal supports.

Cheers!
lil_roasty attached the following images:
jaybird_canning.jpg img_7826_1.jpg

Edited by lil_roasty on 10/03/2020 5:51 PM

lil_roasty
For some reason it's only letting me attach two of my images... Here's the rest. Unfortunately I neglected to get a good image of the final assembly with the metal piece, and now attached to my roaster it's tricky to get a good picture.

i.imgur.com/pgxwv66.jpeg
i.imgur.com/oRmpuqQ.jpeg
i.imgur.com/jrRYfo8.jpeg
i.imgur.com/xwqPNmU.jpeg

a1970gto
That's a good idea, I might try the reducer down to a flat plate and just screw the mason jar on like you do. It would be a simpler print as well. I've checked the output of my roaster with a laser thermometer and it never get's above 180C.

Do you route smoke outside or do you use a filter? I have a charcoal filter coming, but not sure how effective it will be. I'm really wanting to keep my garage door closed this winter.

Also, what do you use for a metal 3d printer?

lil_roasty

Do you route smoke outside or do you use a filter? I have a charcoal filter coming, but not sure how effective it will be. I'm really wanting to keep my garage door closed this winter.

I considered trying to filter, but I just vent out a window via a metal flex duct. I only briefly looked, but couldn't easily find any filter media that I felt would be simultaneously...

1. Effective
  2. Low-ish back pressure
  3. Able to handle the high temperature
  4. Affordable

I'm skeptical that activated carbon would do much other than perhaps reduce the smell a bit. Unless I'm mistaken, charcoal doesn't filter particulates effectively.

Since the window was an option I didn't investigate options much. I'd be curious to hear if you find a decent filtering solution! One idea I somewhat considered was a HEPA filter with a dedicated fan to pull in a mixture of ambient and hot exhaust air in order to drop average temp to a level the filter media could handle.

Also, what do you use for a metal 3d printer?

I have access to a Markforged Metal X system via work. Very useful for my roaster! Here's an overview of how that system works if you're interested: https://www.youtu...diwBiw5dyo
Edited by lil_roasty on 10/03/2020 6:47 PM

JackH

lil_roasty wrote:

For some reason it's only letting me attach two of my images...

I usually resize photos using paint or whatever you have to max of about 800 X 600. This makes the file size of each under 200K or so and is good enough for web viewing. Then you should be able to get many photos to display.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

a1970gto
I could just put a dryer vent out the side of my house, but I'm hesitant to put a hole in the house. I can pretty it up with a dryer vent cover. I could also run thru the ceiling and out the attic vent, but that is a fairly long run. I could also go out the roof, but more holes. I've also thought a K&N filter might work, but haven't heard of anyone trying that.

a1970gto
It would be awesome to have the Metal X system, but the freaking kids need food and I'm fresh out of a disposable $125k for a hobby. I'm sure there are places that I can send off to for a fee, but I'm going to try the 3dkTop fillament first.

I was planning on figuring out the print with a regular PLA first, but thanks for the tip as well.

lil_roasty

I usually resize photos using paint or whatever you have to max of about 800 X 600. This makes the file size of each under 200K or so and is good enough for web viewing. Then you should be able to get many photos to display.

Ah that must have been it, thanks for the tip!

a1970gto wrote:
It would be awesome to have the Metal X system, but the freaking kids need food and I'm fresh out of a disposable $125k for a hobby. I'm sure there are places that I can send off to for a fee, but I'm going to try the 3dkTop fillament first.

I was planning on figuring out the print with a regular PLA first, but thanks for the tip as well.

Pesky kids! The high temp filament definitely sounds like a good option, much cheaper than sending out to a metal printing service bureau if that works out. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)
Edited by lil_roasty on 10/03/2020 8:40 PM

Jump to Forum: