Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

10/15/2021 2:19 AM
merlot85, maycondelpiero and hoeltz, Welcome !

10/14/2021 10:06 AM
Thanks for the addition to the group. Seriously considering building a drum roaster along the lines of oldgrumpus's. Love the design and craftsmanship.

10/14/2021 4:00 AM
Morning, ar3mia ! and... coffee drink

10/12/2021 11:55 AM
Evan Slack and CupOfJoe, Welcome !

10/07/2021 3:24 AM
Larry140, Roastiva and fkrauthan, Welcome !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 19

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,360
Newest Member: maycondelpiero

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
A few Blends for those interested...
Coffeenut
Eddie has asked about a couple of my blends, so here's 3 to get things started. It would be neat if we had a "Blends" thread or sub-folder. I would say that 75% of my roasts are blends and I highly recommend doing blends. It's a great way to learn which coffees compliment each other and in many cases a way to use up left over small quantities of coffees. If you do some "left-over blends" always take a moment to record the qty of each coffee used in case you land upon a killer blend. There's nothing worse than landing upon a great blend and not knowing the percentages of the coffees involved (voice of experience here).

I roast most blends as a single roast, meaning I roast all the coffees together. This method is simpler and less time consuming, but I will say that my best blends have come from individually roasting each coffee to their own needs and then post-roast blending the coffees. This is especially true with coffees that vary widely in times to 1st or 2nd C.

Red Sea blend (one of my favorites and not my creation):

1/3 Yemen Mokha Ismaili Hirazi
1/3 Ethiopian Sidamo
1/3 Ethiopian Harar Horse

This blend has a very distinct African flavor profile that really speaks "Red Sea". It has a distinctive smell and flavor of wine that makes it unique amongst most of the blends I've tried or created.

PawPaw's Mornin' Blend (my creation, best at 2-3 days rest):

40% Brazil Fazenda Brauna (or any good Brazil)
30% Costa Rica Miel (St. Elena or other))
20% Yemen Mokha Ismaili Hirazi
10% Uganda Nanga Robusta

This morning blend is clean, with a hint of spice, a little leather and a rich aftertaste. I like it for drip or espresso.

"Black Cat" replica (my attempt at Intelligentsia's famous blend):

40% Brazil (any good Brazil)
30% Sulawesi Toraja
20% Ethiopia Organic Idido Misty Valley
10% Guatemala "Blue Quexal" Bourbon

This is an excellent blend with very deep, pungent (but not overwhelming) notes. It certainly reminds me of the depth of Black Cat. I'd experimented with a couple of Black Cat recipes (Jim Shulman's recipe too) and even ordered a pound of Black Cat from Intelligentsia for comparison. The result was that I could not exactly match Intelligentsia's blend and certainly not the quality of their roast. But this blend is close enough to satisfy my need for Intelligentsia's famous blend.

Rick c:1
thirddayhomeroaster
Do you find that you need to change the % a LOT to change the taste? ie if you made the 40% 30%, and the 10% 20%, would it be noticable?
TIM
Coffeenut
Tim,

If I had the uber discerning taste skills of a person like Tom at Sweet Marias, I could probably describe a 10% adjustment. I might notice a difference at that level of change, but its also likely that I would not. Some coffee's have more impact than others like a Robusta. You will read opinion that says don't use more than 10% Robusta in a blend, but I have gone to ~20% at times and loved the results. However, I don't routinely adjust the percentages up/down to see the effect (just don't have the time).

I began as most people do by using other people's blends and then taking off from there. I've had some blends where I used the same percentages, but the coffee (same origin, different grower) had to change because a particular coffee was no longer stocked. In some of those cases a blend that I once loved became a so-so blend.

As you play with different blends and combinations of coffees you also encounter what doesn't work. As I was experimenting with blends, I've had some that were uninspiring and not worth repeating. I kept record of their recipes too even though they were not worth repeating so that I had record of what I didn't like.

Rick
bjanis
What roast do you take the Red Sea Blend too?????

c:3
Coffeenut
I'm using a grill-roaster and take the roast to ~ 20 seconds past 2nd C. Here's my profile (from a couple weeks ago) on a 1.5 pound roast of Red Sea blend:

Temps measured via thermocouple set 1/4" from drum and centered with bean mass.

Temp (F)/Time (mins)
384 - 1
411 - 2
431 - 3
446 - 4
444 - 5
455 - 6
434 - 7
459 - 8
492 - 9
531 - 10
525 - 11