topbanner.gif
Login
Username

Password




Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

03/04/2021 9:04 PM
I have been trying Scott Rao Hario V60 pourover this week. 1:17 and blooming with 2 parts water the first 45 seconds then splitting the rest into 2 pours. A little stirring is included. We like it.

03/04/2021 11:35 AM
My brew ratio is 1:17 (exactly 59.5 g/L). That's roughly 8.5g per 5-oz cup.

02/27/2021 9:29 AM
I'm looking to hire someone to teach/help me to find the best roast profile for the 3 types of coffee that grow on my farm in nicaragua. I live in LA, but but could go anywhere in so cal with my Behmor for a roasting lesson. Please contact me if you're in

02/17/2021 7:20 PM
When your wife thinks 30 grams for a 6 cup setting is strong, you learn to drink muddy water when you are making coffee for both of you.

02/17/2021 8:32 AM
I use a rule of thumb of 60 grams per liter. 8 cups (1 liter, 32 oz) = 60 grams, 6 cups (3/4 liter, 24 oz) = 45 grams. 10 cups = 75 grams 12 cups = 90 grams

Users Online
Guests Online: 9

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,053
Newest Member: AJRoaster
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
My heat gun / drum roaster:
zamunda
Hello,

I am finishing my prototype roaster: drum is from a washing machine and heat source is a Steinel heat gun. Drum is driven by an old motor lying around but has variable speed control: does the job quite nicely!

The gun performs very well, enough power to roast 1-1.5 kg.

However, since this is a prototype, based on my roasting experiences, I want to buy a dedicated motor and heating element.
Any recommendation/tips here?

Please let me know!

Thanks and regards,

PS: I would like to add images from my Mac, but the GUI does not allow to upload them?
zamunda attached the following images:
aaa.png koffiebrander3_07.jpeg koffiebrander3_05.jpeg koffiebrander3_04.jpg koffiebrander3_08.jpeg screen_shot_2021-02-09_at_103930.png

Edited by zamunda on 02/09/2021 3:41 AM
JackH
You can also use a photo hosting site like Imgur.com for posting your photos.

You are using the Attachment/Browse at the bottom of the screen?


homeroasters.org/forum/attachments/photos.jpg
JackH attached the following image:
photos.jpg

---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
zamunda

Quote

JackH wrote:

You can also use a photo hosting site like Imgur.com for posting your photos.

You are using the Attachment/Browse at the bottom of the screen?


homeroasters.org/forum/attachments/photos.jpg


Yes I used the Attachment/Browse option exactly as you did!

Any ideas why this does not work?
JackH
Browse usually opens a file window on your computer.
Could something be blocking like antivirus?
You might also try clearing your browser cache or trying another browser.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
zamunda
Hello,
I temporarily disabled the adblocker, that helped for 1 image, however, I could not upload a second image with the adblocker disabled.
JackH
You can click browse and it works for the first image. Clicking browse again should should pop up the file selection screen and you can add a second file to the list and so on....

Be sure not to use "Preview reply"-- it causes some problems for attached images. Also, watch your file names, no special characters or spaces.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
zamunda

Quote

JackH wrote:

You can click browse and it works for the first image. Clicking browse again should should pop up the file selection screen and you can add a second file to the list and so on....

Be sure not to use "Preview reply"-- it causes some problems for attached images. Also, watch your file names, no special characters or spaces.


I could add 2 images more but it remains buggy I think, adding another images does not work. Strange...
renatoa
Confused... is the roaster on the workbench the 1.5 kg capacity, with a drum from a washing machine ?
It should be 10 litres or so for this task...

The other two images are CG.
zamunda
Hello,

Yes, the prototype on the workbench holds a drum from a washing machine, it is about ten liters.

What do you mean with CG? The are rendered images from Solidworks

I would like to post more images but having trouble with uploading.
renatoa
CG = Computer Graphics, yep, rendered...

A typical washing machine here is 50-60 litres, those rated 6-8 kg of dry laundry. What model is this so tiny?
zamunda
Hello

This is a tiny model, there are also larger models, I guess it depends on the size of the household (single).

The volume of this drum is 10.8 liters, it is perforated which makes it suitable for use with hot air IMHO.

Is there a kind of "golden ratio" between drum volume and amount of kilos which can be roasted? Or is this a matter of testing?

Thanks and regards!
zamunda attached the following images:
_85.jpg _85c.jpg _85s.jpg

Edited by zamunda on 02/09/2021 3:33 AM
renatoa
Nice small drum... Grin

1:6 is the golden ratio, 1 kilo of greens needs 6 litres of hot air.
The ratio is a consequence of the ratio of specific heat of hot air, and the average green bean. The later depends a lot on origin and moisture, so 1:6 could vary 10-12% up/down.
If someone want to cram more beans in a given volume, the temperature needs to be increased, thus more chances of roast defects.

The above assertions are right at normal pressure. Someone could imagine a high pressure roast system, but is out of our scope.

So your finding is right, i.e. 1.5 kg is close to the limit.
Jim Schulman has a recipe somewhere... quoting approximately from memory: load a sample batch, keep it at 245 C hot air, if no FC until minute 12 try again with 20% less beans, until FC appear in the min 8-10 window.
zamunda

Quote

renatoa wrote:

Nice small drum... Grin

1:6 is the golden ratio, 1 kilo of greens needs 6 litres of hot air.
The ratio is a consequence of the ratio of specific heat of hot air, and the average green bean. The later depends a lot on origin and moisture, so 1:6 could vary 10-12% up/down.
If someone want to cram more beans in a given volume, the temperature needs to be increased, thus more chances of roast defects.

The above assertions are right at normal pressure. Someone could imagine a high pressure roast system, but is out of our scope.

So your finding is right, i.e. 1.5 kg is close to the limit.
Jim Schulman has a recipe somewhere... quoting approximately from memory: load a sample batch, keep it at 245 C hot air, if no FC until minute 12 try again with 20% less beans, until FC appear in the min 8-10 window.


Hello,

Thanks for this info, very useful!!!

Could you say something on perforated vs solid drums? According to my limited experience (this is my first project), the perforation benefits the flow of air around and inside the drum but absolutely no scientific proof just empirical assumptions.

Thanks and regards,
renatoa
At 23 cm drum diameter I could imagine a TO as main heat source, in an oblique setup, drum at 45 degrees, placed inside in a 32 cm diameter oven, having the TO as a cover.
Additional heat sources are required at the bottom of this oven, because TO alone at 1300 Watts is not enough for 1.5 kg of greens.
Dump could be done by tumbling the whole oven, something like a concrete mixer. The TO cover should be articulated with a hinge somewhat.
renatoa
The post above (#14) was sent before reading your post #13.

Well... I hate solid drums, I am sold to hot air roasting...
Solid drum is somewhat as a heat exchanger and you are forced to play with two variables, heat and airflow, in a way that I can't manage... and I don't want to learn or love it Grin
Delivering a stream of hot air at constant temperature is much simpler for me, technological and understanding.

But... it's a personal preference... the rest of industry seems not agree with me :)
Edited by renatoa on 02/09/2021 4:14 AM
zamunda

Quote

renatoa wrote:

At 23 cm drum diameter I could imagine a TO as main heat source, in an oblique setup, drum at 45 degrees, placed inside in a 32 cm diameter oven, having the TO as a cover.
Additional heat sources are required at the bottom of this oven, because TO alone at 1300 Watts is not enough for 1.5 kg of greens.
Dump could be done by tumbling the whole oven, something like a concrete mixer. The TO cover should be articulated with a hinge somewhat.


Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean with "TO" in this context?
zamunda

Quote

renatoa wrote:

The post above (#14) was sent before reading your post #13.

Well... I hate solid drums, I am sold to hot air roasting...
Solid drum is somewhat as a heat exchanger and you are forced to play with two variables, heat and airflow, in a way that I can't manage... and I don't want to learn or love it Grin
Delivering a stream of hot air at constant temperature is much simpler for me, technological and understanding.

But... it's a personal preference... the rest of industry seems not agree with me :)


I fully agree (based on my limited experience with gas and heat gun heating).
Thanks!
renatoa
TO = Turbo Oven
The halogen lids used as ovens with a glass pot.
100% convection in its purest form.
With some flavor of infrared, depending on tuning you made to the halogen "shower plate" Grin
The forum has a separate section for machines based on this heating method.
Jump to Forum:

Similar Threads

Thread Forum Replies Last Post
Heat gun bread machine roaster--how can I change container? Heat Gun Roasting 8 03/05/2021 4:14 PM
Advice on first my roaster (in UK) MY FIRST ROASTER 11 03/01/2021 2:26 PM
1 lb. gas fired fluid bed roaster Fluidbed Roaster 17 03/01/2021 1:15 PM
Sandbox Smart R1 roaster Other Roasters 7 02/14/2021 8:29 PM
Mystery new chinese drum roaster Drum Roaster (Store Bought and Commercial) 3 02/12/2021 6:47 AM
Homeroasters Association Logo, and all Content, Images, and Icons © 2005-2016 Homeroasters Association - Logos are the property of their respective owners.
Powered by PHP-Fusion Copyright © 2021 PHP-Fusion Inc
Released as free software without warranties under GNU Affero GPL v3
Designed with by NetriX