Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,626
Newest Member: RoyB

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The Behmor 1600 It's here!
TheArtfuldodger
I just received a Behmor 1600 from Tahoe Joe. This unit was a pre-shipment of his final production roaster which should be available before Christmas. I will be doing a full review on this roaster.
i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/ghholt/Behmor%201600/FrontBehmor1600.jpg
B)B)B)

David
I feel so bad for you that you will have to test this out all by yourself. s:5

Yeah, right! ;)

Happy Birthday, TAD.
H)

Call me if you need any help;
Or at least please let us know how it goes. Grin

TheArtfuldodger
Here is a little slide show of the roaster. This is the production model that will soon be available. I will be roasting in the morning.
B)B)B)

dennist3
I loved what I saw and I can't wait to have these hit the market

Dennis
AKA
FC1(SW/AW) Dennis W. True
USN (ret.)

HG/DB roasting in the warm Cuban Sun

Check out my Blog!!!!!
http://coffee-kit...gspot.com/

TheArtfuldodger

dennist3 wrote:
I loved what I saw and I can't wait to have these hit the market

You should not have to wait too much longer.
B)B)B)

Dan
Very exciting! s:2

TheArtfuldodger
This is my first attempt at a video. I roasted 5 pounds in the Behmor yesterday. I even roasted a batch of Harrar with only the loss of a few beans. The #2 Nicaraguan COE from the Co-op was by for the coffee that produced the most chaff. But it did not cause a problem. All my 1-roast have been in the 16:30-18:30 range plus cooling. The cooling cycle runs about 12 minutes. I have been waiting about 2-1/2 minutes and opening door to speed the cooling process. You do get a bit of chaff falling out. but a little chaff does not scare me. Last night after I did the recommended dry burn (after 5 roast) I cut a hole in the chaff tray. Joe sent me this diagram of a mod some one had made. I think this roaster is going o be totally hacked in no time. I am sure we will see the likes of PID control and lots of temperature probing gone on when this unit hot the streets in a few weeks. Joe said if you signed up on his site for updates on the roaster there will be one published on Oct 8.
I will be doing some serious cupping on Friday I will have at least 6 different coffees to cup.
B)B)B)

TheArtfuldodger
I do not know who came up with this hack but Joe sent me this diagram. I hacked my chaff collector last night. It does give you a much better view of the beans as they progress in the roast. One draw back on the roaster is the stock light. It is very yellow, this is on Joe's list of things that can be improved. I have a nice bright flash light that helped a lot when viewing the beans.
B)B)B)

TheArtfuldodger
This is a video through the modified behmor chaff collector.
B)B)B)

TheArtfuldodger
Last Saturday I had 3 samples I had roasted of a Colombian COE. 1# Behmor, 1# Diedrich and 300g Hot Top roast. Three people cupped 1 experienced cupper and 2 novice. They all picked the Diedrich over the other 2 roast and were split on Hot Top and Behmor. 2 Behmor, 1 Hot Top. I also mailed the same samples to BobY. Bob's samples did get to rest longer then the samples we cupped Saturday. Bob picked the Hot Top roast as his favorite the Behmor 2nd and the Diedrich last.

I cupped 13 coffees with 8 people yesterday, 8 of the coffees were roasted in the Behmor. I cupped two recent COE coffees (300g batches) a Colombian and a Costa Rican with 3 cuppers Friday morning. Two of the cuppers had commercial roasting/cupping experience. They both picked the Behmor roast over the Hot Top.

Yesterday afternoon we tasted 6 coffees 3 recent COE's and a Panama PB, CR Tarazu and Harrrar. All coffees were prepared in a French Press and tasted as they cooled. The Nic COE was the lightest roast., it had a wonderful sweet Honey Finish and was as clean as a Whistle. Both the CR's were excellent cups the Tarparto was a great cup of coffee and I thought the COE CR was a little more complex. The Panama PB was quite an interesting cup. And the Harrar longberry (darkest roast) had it's usual Blueberry note but was a little smokey. All and all this was a very good table of coffee all roasted on the Behmor 1600.

In my opinion the Behmor held up to my expectations. By no means is a perfect roaster but has a lot of potential. It is nice to be able to roast a 1-pound roast in doors with out any or very little smoke. If you take the roast into second crack you may see some smoke around the door seal. You do need to have ventilation or the gasses will set off your detectors. But there would be no problem roasting under a good externally vented range hood. I just opened a window and ran a fan.

I mailed BobY the roaster and he received it yesterday. So keep an eye out for BobY's review.
B)B)B)

ginny
Hi there TheArtfuldodger:

Are you going to do a full review of the Behmor 1600?

From your perspective, start to finish personal review?

Just curious since this is a much anticipated roaster.

Overall, what is your opinion?

Thanks,

ginny

looking forward to it.

always B)B)B) GrinGrin s:8s:8

seedlings
Wow, how did I miss this video and updates to the Behmore? Very nice work, TheArtfuldodger!

CHAD

Jump to Forum: