Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,176
Newest Member: Adrian

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
IKEA cabinet fluid bed roaster
Jwheld
I wanted to share my recent roaster build. It’s basic at this point but hoping to eventually add PIDs. The cabinet was from ikea. I borrowed the ideas from several threads using heat gun element, drain tube, and bake a round. I do not know the specs of the motor. I tore it out of an old vacuum and made a box for it. The tube is mounted with friction via 1/8” BBQ grill gasket. Figured that should withstand the heat and not leach anything toxic into my beans.

Both controls are SSVR with potentiometers. I wired it so the fan has to be on before the heater can turn on. The thermocouple will hook up to artisan via tc4 that I borrowed from my popcorn popper. When I figure out a good orientation I will mount more permanently.

Right now I can get a good stream of beans up to about 3/4# roasted and 1# green. With this being a 120v system I’ll start with 1/2# batch and tweak from there.

Getting ready for my first roast this evening, wish me luck!
Jwheld
Guess I don’t know how to attach photos! I’ll have to look into it this evening.
Jwheld attached the following images:
cabinet_3.jpg cabinet_2.jpg cabinet_1.jpg

Edited by Jwheld on 04/19/2021 2:42 PM
allenb
Looking good! Have you done any preliminary roasts in hand mode to see if you have sufficient element BTUs?

Keep the updates coming as you progress.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
Jwheld

allenb wrote:

Looking good! Have you done any preliminary roasts in hand mode to see if you have sufficient element BTUs?

Keep the updates coming as you progress.

First roasts were tonight, done under manual control. 1/2# of green got me to about 10 degrees (400F) above first crack before no more heat was being absorbed. I like it a touch darker so I will probably try a 5 oz load next time. Would like to get just before second crack so I will keep an update.

I've got a lot of beans to use up first! :-)
Jwheld attached the following image:
img_2678.jpg
Jump to Forum: