Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

10/15/2021 2:19 AM
merlot85, maycondelpiero and hoeltz, Welcome !

10/14/2021 10:06 AM
Thanks for the addition to the group. Seriously considering building a drum roaster along the lines of oldgrumpus's. Love the design and craftsmanship.

10/14/2021 4:00 AM
Morning, ar3mia ! and... coffee drink

10/12/2021 11:55 AM
Evan Slack and CupOfJoe, Welcome !

10/07/2021 3:24 AM
Larry140, Roastiva and fkrauthan, Welcome !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 13

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,360
Newest Member: maycondelpiero

View Thread

Who is here? 2 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Need Help with Body/Depth
TopherM
My GF got me one of these guys for Xmas (link below). I'm making decent coffee on it, but all of my batches have tasted thin, low body. I'm going for somewhere between a Vienna and French Roast. My basic process has been:

1) Preheat roaster to 200C
2) Add 1 lb of green beans and cover
3) Let beans steam, listen for first crack
4) Right after velocity of first cracks slows down, increase heat to 240C
5) Listen for 2nd crack
6) Give it about 30 seconds after 2nd crack velocity slows down, transfer to a colander to cool
7) Rest for 48-72 hours

Any tips to improve the body?

https://www.amazo...&psc=1
Edited by TopherM on 04/22/2021 12:09 PM
renatoa
Body is a matter of grinding, not roasting. More exactly % of fines in your grounds.
TopherM
Thank you, maybe I'm askign the question wrong.

Without changing the grind on my Burr grinder, a commercial Vienna/French roast has a ton of body/depth, my home roast coffee has very low body/depth. My roasted coffee beans smell great, the resulting coffee is just thin, lacking character.

Maybe I mean more depth of flavor/complexity/roast, not exactly body. I'm getting very thin, watery coffee with very low coffee flavor.

Do you see anything off in my process?
renatoa
This depends first on quality of greens and how are they blended.
Commercial roasts are not single origin beans, but blends with a variable amount of Robusta, for more crema.
Home roasting focused especially on single origins roasting, mainly for brew, less for espresso. I mean the home roasting mania that emerged in the last years, together with 3rd wave of (speciality) coffee.

Not the last, your machine and process is also not so optimal.
The machine roast massively by contact, and very little convection, is the least recommended combination of heat transfer methods to achieve a good roast.
Actually, this machine is falsely advertised as good for coffee roasting, if it were me I would ask them to stop and recall their stuff.
Your beans should exhibit a lot of roast defects, like scorching/tipping/charring, less noticeable visually due to the fact you are going into 2nd crack, where the whole mass of beans turns into charcoal. But noticeable in taste.
Also, the thermal regime approach is a bit off from the "orthodox" way.
Theoretically, would be very hard to achieve first crack with 200 C degrees, in a reasonable time. The internal machine/environment temperature should be at least 25C more than beans, in order to drive a good roast profile.
The fact that you are reaching FC take me to the guess that temperature is regulated by an On-Off thermostat, with a large temperature sweep, thus what you read as 200 C on dial is actually a temperature surfing into a range like 170 to 230 C, having as average the dialed temperature.

Unfortunately very little can be addressed for this case.
You can try other beans, like south America origins, known by the their chocolate bomb nature.
Regarding the roast itself, I would start with 180 C, then slowly increasing temperature to 240C up to minute 4, then let there to the end.
If FC is not in the 10-12 minutes interval I would lower the beans load until reaching this goal.
Jump to Forum: