leekindo, Welkome !

09/14/2021 9:18 AM
TheHobo, Bigtuna and kilaw, welcome to forum

09/10/2021 8:14 AM
Welcome, hakan and flugsio !

09/06/2021 10:48 AM
Welcome, White Iron ! Grin Welcome marmalade

09/01/2021 1:51 PM
Welcome, sunbear73, KellersCup and cchrisgates !

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 18

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,320
Newest Member: leekindo

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hi from Tampa Bay
Scarlock138
Hi everyone!

I'm brand new to the hobby and the forums. I've always loved coffee and decided on my recent birthday that I would begin learning all I can about roasting. I've purchased a JIAWANSHUN 800g roaster, a bean cooler of the same make and 3 lbs of Caturra for a start.

long term, I hope to eventually make a small business out of this that will sustain my income after retirement, (15 years from now) so I'm looking to learn from other's mistakes and successes. I welcome ANY advice especially in the areas of machines that would scale well for small scale production (50 lbs a week or so). Also if you have roasted Caturra, a temp and time setting to begin with would be super helpful.

As for now, I'll take my little starting machine and learn what I can for recipes, roasting times and flavor profiles.

Glad to be here!
renatoa
Welcome to HRO !

Unfortunately this device is far from the definition of the right coffee roaster, so, if not unpacked or used yet, I would try to return it.
What you should be aware in the future, in the endless quest of such machine:

Raw coffee 500g; 180-240°C; 24-40 minutes

quoted from the Amazon page.
A proper done coffee roast process should take no more than 15 minutes. More than 20 minutes produces what we call baking, not roasting. Bready, flat, dull, or oaty taste, instead coffee.

The temperature interval is right though, what is not right is how the energy is transferred to beans.
When we cook we have 3 methods of heat transfer to the food:
- contact, think to pancake or crepes,
- convection, almost any oven or boiling process
- radiation, some barbecue and grill devices, most no contact heating, when you see red hot metal or halogen lamp, then is radiation. When doing barbecue we have a mix of contact, with hot metal bars, the result being burns and smoke, and radiation, from hot charcoal.

To roast coffee we want as much convection as we can get, with some hints of radiation, and as little contact as possible.
This device provides heat exactly in the inverse worst imaginable way: probably more than 80% is contact, the rest is radiation, and we have almost zero convection, no airflow in that pan.
Search on the internet articles about roasting defects, and will see there the results of such heat transfer.

Not the least, roasting coffee means "keep beans moving" ... and moving FAST ! Is one of the first three mantras of roasting coffee. This device performs an agonizing torture instead an airy tumbling that is the right method to move the beans during a roast. In an ideal world, each bean should levitate alone in its "personal space" of about one cubic centimetre, of permanently fresh hot air. A Whirley-Pop pot for example, does a much better job in this respect.

Even if you could get some decent results from this device if using less beans, let's say to start with 200 grams or whatever is necessary to have no more than 2 layers of beans high bed, and increase agitation by stirring with a wood spatula... but there is no chance to acquire useful experience from this tool to help you when moving to a true production roaster.

We are here to support you with any future advice you want for the next step, buy or build yourself, and what to look for a wise choice.
Good luck !
Edited by renatoa on 09/07/2021 1:32 AM
Scarlock138
I'm disappointed in myself for ordering the wrong thing, but I will return it. I guess Ill go with my first instinct and get the Behmor. Thank you for the help.
allenb
Hi Scarlock, we normally don't advise against this or that roasting machine since many of them, while possibly unorthodox, can be tweaked into roasting some decent coffee but when a member states the intended purpose of the roaster, we do try to advise for or against a given roaster if we think it won't be a fit for that purpose.

Unfortunately, if you are wanting to buy a small roaster with the hopes of using it to learn how to roast and be able to transfer skills learned from using it to roasting with larger shop roasters, the Behmor will not fit the bill either as it is not equipped with thermometry and is a radiant type design which shares no similarity to any commercial machine you may decide to use for small scale production.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
Jump to Forum: