Print Thread
5lb Fluidbed
and
Hello, I am in the process of designing a 5lb fluidbed roaster.
How big (cfm) of a blower will I need for this? I want it to easily be able to loft 5lbs green beans.
I think I will use a sivetz torch if still available for the gas heat source.
I have this wild idea, do you guys think it would work? What if you had a really powerful blower so when your roast was done you could just crank it up and blow all of your roasted coffee out the top of the RC and through a funnel system into a container? Maybe that is far fetched though.
Another question on the RC, what would a good volume be? Like what diameter and height will I need for 5lb.

allenb
Hi and and welcome to HRO.
There's lots of design elements going into a fluidbed especially roast chamber size and configuration, heat input BTUs and blower type with it's needed static pressure and CFM. All of these elements have to come together as a whole and one of them can change the other. Due to this, there's no way for someone to call out the blower without giving us good data on specifics of your design, roast chamber style (asymmetrical, round, air entry size etc.)

Emptying your roast chamber via blasting all beans out the top would require one massive blower and would most likely result in broken beans.

Your best bet at this point is to read all through our fluid bed threads going back to the early days and you will start to get ideas for best practices and make some basic decisions first and we can guide you through the finer details once you have settled in on the basics.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

and
Ok, thanks. What would the max temp everyone see on the steel parts of their fluidbeds. I would like to know this because I am sourcing material for gaskets. Does anyone know of a good high-temp material to use?

Jump to Forum: