Print Thread
BocaBoca 250
chaaz900
A question regarding Chaff removal and smoke dispersal from the BocaBoca 250/500 models.
The drum end opposite the bean entry/exit has an adjustable venting system that removes some of the chaff while roasting. This largely gathers around the heating element. Upon completion of the roast, the cooling system collects most of the chaff from the heating element. I remove the last of it manually by flipping the beans in the air where the wind easily separates chaff from roasted beans. This I do outdoors where we usually have some wind to expedite. This requires bout a minute depending on the strength of the wind.
Smoke is easily handled by our cooktop vent indoors. Because of this I see no need to move outdoors for roasting.
This is my first and only experience roasting. Once I ignored all the "how to's" for other machines and simply followed the directions provided with BocaBoca 250 I achieved success. With time and experience, I will learn more accurately when to stop the roast with varying beans.
I choose the 250 over the 500 for 2 primary reasons. First: the 250 is under $400 - delivered. Second: We are only 2 requiring just 40g per day and I'm retired and so I can roast anytime. 200g net roast last us enough time for our roast to remain fresh.
chaaz900 attached the following image:
l1010381-2.jpg

allenb
Hey Chaaz, Beautiful roaster! This has to be one of the most stylish I've seen in quite a while. Nothing wrong with a little bit of hands on manual action.

When you get a few miles on it, let us know if you find a sweet spot for power management throughout the roast.

Good to have you on board!
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Ploni
Do we have here on this site more first-hand info on/reviews of these Bocaboca machines?

I'm very interested to hear if this inexpensive unit is well worth the $400 price.
Edited by Ploni on 01/16/2022 8:19 AM

chaaz900

allenb wrote:

Hey Chaaz, Beautiful roaster! This has to be one of the most stylish I've seen in quite a while. Nothing wrong with a little bit of hands on manual action.

When you get a few miles on it, let us know if you find a sweet spot for power management throughout the roast.

Good to have you on board!

Thanks Allen B,
The instructions are straight forward and work well leaving the stop roasting up t the user.
1. power 12 for preheat
2. power 10 till first crack
3. Power 6 for 3 minutes or......
Thats it.
C

chaaz900

Ploni wrote:

Do we have here on this site more first-hand info on/reviews of these Bocaboca machines?

I'm very interested to hear if this inexpensive unit is well worth the $400 price.

Hi ploni,
I found a little info using Google search and YouTube, enough encouragement to proceed. It fit my criteria. The seller (eBay) shipped immediately, the packaging is first rate. The unit feels solid and is completely free of plastic. It comes with gloves, Sash Brush and instructions. Replacement parts are available.
I second-guessed myself over the 500g but in the end there are only the 2 of us and I don't need to batch larger than 250g.
I'm happy with my purchase today and time will tell if the BocaBoca is a wise decision.
C

Ploni
Excellent!

Thanks, chaaz.

The unit certainly appears capable and reasonably priced.

Did you purchase the cooler attachment?

chaaz900
Hey Pioni,
Yes, It's included in the price.
C

Ploni
eBay is asking for the roaster alone $399, with the cooler attachment, $519.

Is it worth $120?

chaaz900
Here is my purchase
https://www.ebay.com/itm/333619645551?var=542979878551
screen_shot_2022-01-17_at_44936_am.jpg

Ploni
Thank you, chaaz.

I see that there are multiple sellers of this unit on eBay.

Good price.

Let's hear more about your continuing use of this machine!

Tasty roasting to you!

chaaz900
Will do
img_2761.jpg

Jump to Forum: