Total Members: 7,794
Newest Member: RC-Roaster

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Lots to learn
Microfiche
Hi all!
Just got my FreshRoast SR800 and 5 lb of various green beans a week ago and have 5 (relatively successful) roasts under my belt.
I admittedly bought the roaster before I understood how complex the process can be - and (unfortunately at times) I am a bit of a perfectionist and a data freak.
Looking for some seasoned roasters to help me on the journey, I had posted a few times in r/roasting without getting any responses so I am hoping that this forum might be more helpful and active?
I don't see any newbie specific threads besides this one, so assume I can post my roast questions in the general roasting profile thread?
I am currently trying to hold myself back from tricking out my SR800 and simply learning the basics to start, though I am a gadget guy as well, so it is difficult. All I have done so far is to make a little notch in the lid so I can drop the probe of a ThermPro wireless meat thermometer into the middle of the beans to get an accurate bean temp.
Finding the process of manually recording 5 variables while watching the beans and adjusting the fan/power settings a bit daunting at this point!
Edited by Microfiche on 11/28/2022 12:57 PM
Retired, newbie roaster, long time coffee lover, with Phidget connected thermocouples in SR800

renatoa
Welcome !

Record them as in video Grin
Then playback in slow motion, and take notes

Microfiche
Great idea @renatoa! I have been trying to get the proper setup for my GoPro, this will be a good incentive. I was going to record just to see the bean change etc. but that would be an added bonus!
Retired, newbie roaster, long time coffee lover, with Phidget connected thermocouples in SR800

allenb
Welcome to HRO Microfiche! Our site does not get the kind of traffic that other sites get since we don't utilize sponsors. Due to this, there is sometimes a lag in getting a response but sometimes folks jump on and respond quickly.

The roasting profiles thread will be perfect for your thread. Enjoy your new roaster and new coffee! ThumbsUp
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Microfiche

allenb wrote:

Welcome to HRO Microfiche! Our site does not get the kind of traffic that other sites get since we don't utilize sponsors. Due to this, there is sometimes a lag in getting a response but sometimes folks jump on and respond quickly.

The roasting profiles thread will be perfect for your thread. Enjoy your new roaster and new coffee! ThumbsUp

Perfect! As long as there are some active members who enjoy sharing their knowledge, this will be perfect.

Jump to Forum: