Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New here ... :)
kauphy
Just wanted to say hello. New here, not new to home roasting. First roaster was SR540 about 6/7 years ago. Graduated up to Behmor 1600 Plus after about 4 years, then to the Hottop 2K+ about mid-October last year. Usually roast 250g Bali Blue Moon to just after 2C. Mostly brew with Aeropress. Learning Artisan with about 16 roasts using it now. Working on a background roast at the moment to use as a guide for Artisan to follow.

Glad to be here.
Hottop 2K+ w/Artisan

allenb
Hi Kauphy and welcome to HRO! Sorry for the late welcome.

Where do you get your Bali? I remember it's sometimes a hit or miss on getting one without too much woody/earthy funk but when its right, it's an extraordinary coffee.

Glad to have you on board.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

oldgrumpus
Howdy kauphy! Welcome!!
Clever Coffee Dripper
Grinder: Macap M4
Roaster: Completed drum roaster project photos shown here:
Photos https://goo.gl/ph...Da6K4wfqw5
Videos https://www.youtu...Bd1NrdpSUH

kauphy
Thanks, allenb. I've been getting my greens from Coffee Bean Corrall, most recently, but started with Sweet Marias. On the last 5lbs. of the Bali, or so, of 25lbs.. Typically roast just to 2C. That's where I like most of the Indonesian beans I've gotten. Hoping to learn the roaster first with something that I have plenty of.

Thanks, also, oldgrumpus.

HarryDog

allenb wrote:

Where do you get your Bali? I remember it's sometimes a hit or miss on getting one without too much woody/earthy funk but when its right, it's an extraordinary coffee.

Welcome kauphy,

I picked up my Bali Blue Moon in Calgary (Single Origin Coffee), I think they have new sock listed to be in February, I have no idea if this is new crop or just re-stock. I have to start looking at when harvests are.
I roasted it to the lull, between FC end and SC start.
I will say it taste darker then the roast appears.
Very Chocolatey, full body, Dark cherries with light acidic finish. (1 month from roast date).
This was probably the best Espresso shot from my roasts so far.
I must not have been impressed as Drip because I never gave any away for Christmas, will have to test this again.
Edited by HarryDog on 01/23/2023 12:10 PM

kauphy
Thanks, HarryDog.

Yes, I do like Bali Blue Moon, also, but with more roast notes, so at 2C or just after, for me. I use an AeroPress most of the time and like it alot.
Hottop 2K+ w/Artisan

HarryDog
I like some darker roasts myself, I will roast a little longer (Right to SC) next time and see how that goes, it might be the sweet spot for me?

I have been roasting about 6-7 months on my modified poppers, thinking of making a cheap drum type roaster to see if I would prefer a drum roaster over a fluid bed.

What did you experience between your roasters in flavor changes?

kauphy
Not sure what I can say about the differences between roasters. I've just roasted by listening to when 2C happens and then dropping, with all roasters. I've not had any method of reading temps/etc. until the Hottop. Eventually, I have been able to hit the roast that I like on all roasters, but I like everything I make over what I can buy.
Hottop 2K+ w/Artisan

HarryDog
Just wondering how the roaster effects the tasting notes and acidity? I'm finding most of the beans I'm trying are overly acidic. Does the drum roaster tame some of this acidity?

kauphy
I don't think it's the roaster at all. I think it's the roast profile and how long it stays in the roaster. :)
Hottop 2K+ w/Artisan

HarryDog
I'm certainly getting some mixed results, but also trying lots of new green beans as well. More practice required.

allenb

kauphy wrote:

Thanks, allenb. I've been getting my greens from Coffee Bean Corrall, most recently, but started with Sweet Marias. On the last 5lbs. of the Bali, or so, of 25lbs.. Typically roast just to 2C. That's where I like most of the Indonesian beans I've gotten. Hoping to learn the roaster first with something that I have plenty of.

At a 25lb order you must be very impressed with Bali Blue Moon! I'll have to give it a try.
Another Indonesian to consider in the future is one called Flores Island from Happy Mug. Sweet Marias has carried it in the past. I just roasted a fluidbed test batch a few days ago and is very impressive. I took it to 15 degrees past end of 1C and took about 3 days to lose the little bit of earthiness it had on the day of the roast. It has some very nice mild berry notes, sweet and full bodied. Kind of reminds me of some of the better Sumatrans but without the heavy woody/earthy notes. I also tried one roast just a couple of degrees pre-2nd crack and held up well with rich darker roast notes. Unfortunately, HM doesn't have any left and not sure when they will have more.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

kauphy

HarryDog wrote:

I'm certainly getting some mixed results, but also trying lots of new green beans as well. More practice required.

Yes, always more practice!

kauphy

allenb wrote:

kauphy wrote:

At a 25lb order you must be very impressed with Bali Blue Moon! I'll have to give it a try.
Another Indonesian to consider in the future is one called Flores Island from Happy Mug. Sweet Marias has carried it in the past. I just roasted a fluidbed test batch a few days ago and is very impressive. I took it to 15 degrees past end of 1C and took about 3 days to lose the little bit of earthiness it had on the day of the roast. It has some very nice mild berry notes, sweet and full bodied. Kind of reminds me of some of the better Sumatrans but without the heavy woody/earthy notes. I also tried one roast just a couple of degrees pre-2nd crack and held up well with rich darker roast notes. Unfortunately, HM doesn't have any left and not sure when they will have more.

Thanks for the green bean recommendation! Always appreciated.
Hottop 2K+ w/Artisan

allenb

HarryDog wrote:

Just wondering how the roaster effects the tasting notes and acidity? I'm finding most of the beans I'm trying are overly acidic. Does the drum roaster tame some of this acidity?

I've had the pleasure of roasting through drums and fluidbeds for quite a few years. I'm sure you've probably seen older discussions where claims were made that fluidbeds produce roasts with higher levels of acidity or produce a "brighter cup" than drums as this was repeated over and over at various sites. My findings are that if the same curve is followed and all of the basic rules are followed especially in regards to ET limits, I can't tell the difference between the two roast methods. Most of the claims in the past of fluidbed-sour, drum-sweet were based on comparisons made without regards to equal parameters being followed in the testing being done.

renatoa
The key point is "same curve".
FB could be more acid because people use these machine for faster roasts, because the increased convection allows this. But is not mandatory to roast fast with a FB, you can roast also reasonably slow.
A drum machine transfers heat in a more complex way, that simply can't be done faster than a certain limit, without the risk of roasting defects.

allenb
Well stated and excellent points.

I've got a few more thoughts on this. In regards to flexibility, to me, the fluidbed is the winner. With coffees that are able to attain their best possible cup attributes using a fast, uncomplicated profile (some recent Kenyas and Ethiopians come to mind), I always resort to my fluidbed due to the reasons Renatoa mentioned where pulling off a fast roast can be difficult in a drum without introducing roast defects. With coffees that require more babysitting and a longer profile in order to achieve the best cup, the drum typically allows me to pull it off with the least amount of fiddling around with power level adjustments.

But, I'm able to attain a fairly fast roast in my 1lb drum if I cut the charge weight down to 10 oz or less but this requires me to be a lot more attentive to pre-emptive power level management since the thermal inertia is less and changes to power level can produce over-corrections very easily.

HarryDog
Thanks, I have done many longer slower roasts (few good cups.) then hotter and faster with an increase in tasty cups but so many are very winey with strong acidic finishes. I roasted some Monsoon Malabar and it had the right flavor notes compared to a bought roast, except mine was super acidic. I will have to double check my notes but it was probably 1:30 longer than I'm roasting now around 8min depending on the bean.

I'm going to have to do a couple of roasts tonight and post the curves as the temp is going down to -25c on the weekend.
Will try the Monsoon Malabar and a non de script Indonesian I have and go a bit darker.

Jump to Forum: