renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Indian Monsooned Malabar
seedlings
Imagine lots of books. OLD books. Put a hundred OLD books in an OLD box in an OLD lady's closet. Leave them in her closet for 76 years. Walk into the house, into the closet, open the box and inhale deeply the distinct smell of old books in an old box in an old lady's closet. That's what Indian Monsooned Malabar tastes like.

https://www.theroasterie.com/coffee/Special-Offering:--Indian-Monsooned-Malabar-Coffee/642/26/1

CHAD
Edited by ginny on 01/27/2008 6:54 AM

Donut Dog
Chad:

I must/y say I m not thrilled with sucking in an old ladies closet!!

Bet me I will smell that smell regardless of what I roast tonight.

Thanks,

db

you make me laugh s:8s:8

seedlings

digi bean wrote:
Bet me I will smell that smell regardless of what I roast tonight.

...unless your neighbor is burning leaves!

s:8s:8
CHAD

Dan
MM is not for everyone, but I add it to all my espresso blends. It gives a rich, earthy low note to the flavors. Tom at Sweet Marias adds it to his Liquid Amber blend.

seedlings
The wife took only one sip. I finished the cup, but don't crave another. I agree it's not for everyone. The Roasterie said they have one small coffee shop customer in Iowa that orders 40lbs MM roasted every week. Go figure.

CHAD

John Despres
I disliked it a lot when I first tasted it... After some rest, it seemed to improve.

But old lady closet? Whew! That's bad!

I'm just beginning to toy with blends... Any suggestions as to what may work with the MM?

I like old books.Grin
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Kaffee Bitte
Imagine what Europeans thought when they first tasted coffee! This is what they drank! Or something similar. I agree with Dan though the MM makes a nice addition to an espresso blend on occasion. Wouldn't go more than 20% on it though and even that may be too much.
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."

DavidG
So I went hunting for any old threads/posts about Indian Monsooned Malabar. Thus, I resurrected this thread.

I am trying to decide how/from whom to order this stuff. I have a dear friend who has bought nothing but MM from a local cafe/roastery for like 6 years straight. It is the only thing he drinks -- every day, for 6 years. So, I want to surprise him.

Thought 1. The crops and quality for the 6 years must have variation and some must have been better than others. Thus, what I order and where and how old matters, but not much.

Thought 2. Some of the notes I've read imply that there is very little good MM out there, and plenty of baggy, old lady's books being pawned as MM <tips bookmark to CHAD -- see earlier posts>.

So, who has a thought or two on where to order and how to guess about what's good and not good with MM. All of it is, by definition, old. Can there be a "season" or "current crop" with MM?

CBC and others offer it. All the descriptions seem to focus on the stories and not on the cupping notes.

David
europiccola | yama + coryrod | chemex | AP | clever
wbp1 | wepp1 | bm/hg | co hybrid (still coming soon...)

milknmycoffee
I am not an expert in all things Monsooned Malabar but I highly recommend the one from Coffee Bean Corral. I drink it as a single origin.

I taste sweet straw - like if you could taste that wonderful sweet smell of wet hay right after a Spring rain. There is a 'baggy' taste but in a good way - similar to that wet straw taste. There is also a nutty flavor-maybe Macadamia nuts? Maybe a hint of coco floating around too.

If you like nibbling on the end of a piece of hay then you will probably enjoy Coffee Bean Corral's Malabar. I like it so much that if you buy it and hate it - I will buy the remainder from you..how's tat for a no risk trial ;)

bvwelch
Tom of S.M. had a few comments recently on his mailing list. In short, he is concerned about mold, etc, and is quite picky. He did mention that they keep it in stock for their 'liquid amber' blend, and they might be willing to sell some if you emailed them.

Jump to Forum: