Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

03/04/2021 9:04 PM
I have been trying Scott Rao Hario V60 pourover this week. 1:17 and blooming with 2 parts water the first 45 seconds then splitting the rest into 2 pours. A little stirring is included. We like it.

03/04/2021 11:35 AM
My brew ratio is 1:17 (exactly 59.5 g/L). That's roughly 8.5g per 5-oz cup.

02/27/2021 9:29 AM
I'm looking to hire someone to teach/help me to find the best roast profile for the 3 types of coffee that grow on my farm in nicaragua. I live in LA, but but could go anywhere in so cal with my Behmor for a roasting lesson. Please contact me if you're in

02/17/2021 7:20 PM
When your wife thinks 30 grams for a 6 cup setting is strong, you learn to drink muddy water when you are making coffee for both of you.

02/17/2021 8:32 AM
I use a rule of thumb of 60 grams per liter. 8 cups (1 liter, 32 oz) = 60 grams, 6 cups (3/4 liter, 24 oz) = 45 grams. 10 cups = 75 grams 12 cups = 90 grams

Users Online
Guests Online: 8

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,050
Newest Member: TopherM
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Challenge to Brave Espresso Brewers
seedlings
I'm looking for a few brave home espresso brewers to volunteer a good clear picture of what your espresso grind looks like. Believe it or not, some of us have never tried, or have tried unsuccessfully to make espresso. I'm thinking a process like this:

1) grind as normal for your usual great espresso
2) pinch some of the grounds between your index finger and thumb
3) submit a "thumbs up" close-up picture of how fine and uniform the grinds look embedded in your thumbprint (you may have to use the "macro" or "flower" setting on your digital camera for a good close-up )

Of course, those of you leary of "big brother" getting a thumbprint... provide an alternate picture, but find a creative way for me to compare your picture to another...like...

1) grind as normal for your usual great espresso
2) sprinkle just a teeny pile of grounds in the portafilter basket
3) snap a great close-up

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
MarkBart
Glasshopper, Glasshopper, Glasshopper!
To ask of us a difinitave answer in a medium that is so full of variables, you do us a disservice. (wow ain't he prosey!)
I never could understand the grind level either so I got me a "Nekid Portafilter" and printed out The Home Bartista's Guide to Espresso from
http://www.home-b...guide.html In the section labeled Introduction to Barista Techniques, subsection Grinder Adjustment and beyond are tips and techniques on how to zero in on the correct extraction and grind based on time of shot until it blonds.
I have found my grind was good for aged 3-4 day coffee but not for anything newer. the grinder needed to be adjusted a half step on those. I found a nice step by step way to dial in your grinder here
http://www.home-b...t3113.html
Mark
Edited by MarkBart on 01/30/2008 4:36 PM
I'm so Bad, I'm Good! www.homeroasters.org/php/images/smiley/cool.gif
I'm putting the small back into Small Business!
Kaffee Bitte
Ok, so they aren't the best pics, but here is what my camera would produce.

These pics are of fine grind that nearly chokes my lever machine. Infact it would mostly likely be too fine for most pump machines.

farm3.static.flickr.com/2254/2230954875_1f0ab9f15b_m.jpg

farm3.static.flickr.com/2102/2230954225_dc5e8dae7d_m.jpg

and this one is a little perspective.
farm3.static.flickr.com/2131/2230954581_c10a2d9fbe_m.jpg
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."
bjanis
This is the grind that gives me a 30 sec 1.5 -2 oz. shot.
bjanis attached the following image:
grind1[703].jpg
bjanis
Tis never easy. .5mm pencil lead and 1/16 graph paper
bjanis attached the following image:
grind2[704].jpg

Edited by bjanis on 01/31/2008 8:46 AM
Kaffee Bitte
Bjanis, that looks to be about the same grind level as I am using with my present coffee.

MarkBart, gave you some good advice there, Chad. That link is truly helpful, with tons of good and useful information in it.
Lynn

seedlings

MarkBart wrote:
Glasshopper, Glasshopper, Glasshopper!
To ask of us a difinitave answer in a medium that is so full of variables, you do us a disservice. (wow ain't he prosey!)
I never could understand the grind level either so I got me a "Nekid Portafilter" and printed out The Home Bartista's Guide to Espresso from
http://www.home-b...guide.html In the section labeled Introduction to Barista Techniques, subsection Grinder Adjustment and beyond are tips and techniques on how to zero in on the correct extraction and grind based on time of shot until it blonds.
I have found my grind was good for aged 3-4 day coffee but not for anything newer. the grinder needed to be adjusted a half step on those. I found a nice step by step way to dial in your grinder here
http://www.home-b...t3113.html
Mark

Markoson, I have consumed those threads already! Tasty. I asked for nothing definitive, only relative. I'd hoped to learn a little bit about espreso grind, but also to provide a fun excuse for people to snap a picture and post it up. Ooh, and I got's me wanna doze nekkid portafilters too! I cannot find the in-between from the 12 second blond gusher and the complete trainwreck dribble .5 oz in 30 seconds. I pulled my "best" shot yet this morning in 15 seconds. It was still a blond gusher, though. Coffee has rested 4 days now.

Thanks Lynn and bjanis! Actually you both grind a little coarser than I do right now. Very interesting. Thanks for the participation. CafeParts has shipped my new burrs, so we'll see!!!!! Omigosh, I need to post a picture!!!

CHAD
EddieDove
Hey Chad,

I have heard that Splenda is a good comparison for size of grind for espresso; at least in the ball park.
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/
seedlings
I'll have to ... ahem ... "acquire" some splenda packets from the local fast food establishment. I take my coffee black and my wife prefers the pink stuff.

Caution: I've got the calloused, dryest and most stained thumb there is.

CHAD
seedlings attached the following image:
Thumb[707].jpg

Edited by seedlings on 01/31/2008 7:00 PM
Kaffee Bitte
Looking at your photo, Chad, and Bjanis's. Yikes my camera is awful. But on a better note. The grind that is in my pic was actually a bit finer than Bjanis's, but not as fine as yours. Then again, your grind appears to have a fairly wide variation in particle size. Not easy to tell, but I see lots of fines, some middle sized particles and also some much bigger chunks.

The short story? New burrs. Yep, I said it.
Lynn

bjanis
I am using a 21 gram, triple cup, in my open bottom portafilter. That's why mine is coarser, of course. The settings on my Mazzer mini are at 4 notches above 4, or 2 notches below the median on the label for the grind of espresso.
seedlings
I rolled the grounds between my index finger and thumb, which may explain the clumping. The new burrs should be here today!

CHAD
bjanis
I think I saww that thumb on CSI

s:8 s:8 s:8 s:8 s:8
seedlings
Um... no, no! That's . . . err . . . my pinky. Yeah! That's it... my . . . pinky! Uh, I really have no idea what you're talking about or anything. Really, I'm innocent, I swear it. I mean, how could I have robbed that ice cream truck?!? It's, like, winter and everything.

Gosh. What're you even talking about? You have the wrong guy.

-JOE
bvwelch
I saw a web site recently, that sprinkled the grounds over the face of a U.S. dime. It was a neat way to compare the grounds to the lettering on the coin. Be sure to scroll down and look at the high-res photos, not just the thumbnail (pun)

http://www.ineedc...ffeegrind/

-bill
Edited by bvwelch on 02/01/2008 5:31 PM
Kaffee Bitte
That is a good illustration, Bill, however...

Is it just me or did they just use a hammer to "grind" that coffee. Don't get me wrong it is a great way of showing it, but seriously those were CHUNKS of coffee, not ground coffee. The coarse one would take like twenty minutes of brewing in a french press. The fine one would be workable as a french press maybe but need a five or six minute brewing. No way would that "fine" grind ever make an acceptable espresso. Watery dreck!

Alright everyone, Throw down your grind on a dime variations!! Lets show how we roll around here.
Lynn

Jump to Forum: