Users Online
Guests Online: 18

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,663
Newest Member: sihar

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
1 Kilogram Heatgun & Breadmaker 2.2 Pounds!
seedlings

bvwelch wrote:
I'm glad to hear otherwise. But I'll stay with my homebrew approach, at least until I run out of parts. :-)

From what you've told me I don't think running out of parts will happen any time soon!Grin

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

stuartgrant
Hey Chad/others,

Digging up this old thread for a few questions...

We tried a 1.3kg (2.9#) roast once... didn't turn out so good! Once the beans expanded we ended up losing quite a few over the edge of the bread pan... max capacity was probably more like 1.2kg (2.6#). The giant roast (also a Sumatran!) ended up quite uneven as well as having some tipping. Not cool.

We were able, for a while, to do 1kg (2.2#) roasts quite comfortably. Once our heat gun started to deteriorate as it got older (100 roasts+), we got tipping at that capacity and had to drop it back to 800g (1.8#). Interesting that this happened, yes? [The cause could have been something else, but that was our best guess!]

Anyway, my question was this: does the modded paddle mix the beans much more efficiently? Does it slow down the rpm and/or put strain in the motor? I think agitation is one of the key limitations in the Corretto (HG/BM) system, but hadn't thought to mod the paddle!

Cheers
Stuart.
Edited by stuartgrant on 09/06/2009 11:11 AM

bvwelch
Greetings Stuart,

The older bread machines that I've modded, have powerful motors, and no problems with even the largest home-made metal paddles I've built. In fact, one design idea that I 'borrowed' from David, was to chop the bottom out of a bread pan, and bolt it onto the bottom of a large steel bowl, and then sit a Turbo Oven on top. My first paddle was so large, I could sling the beans way, way up and over the rim of the bowl, even while green ( I didn't have the Turbo Oven covering the top during that test )

A couple of other things I ran into -- Be sure to get the 'tall' type of bread machine. Where the loaf is 'vertical'. This gives you more distance from the heat gun to the beans.

Throw away the original bread machine lid, and make a simple replacement from aluminum sheet. Cut a small hole and stick the snout of the heat gun through -- hands-free roasting. -bill

seedlings
Stuart, I don't think the stirrer had much to do with it, but profile did. I had to preheat and use much higher than normal temperatures initially, for the first 6 or 7 minutes so that I could really back off the heat later in the roast. The heatgun gets very close to the beans, and if they don't have enough heat early, then raising the heat later only chars some of the beans. Bear in mind that I have the lid on the roaster, and I believe this is important. I did lose some beans over the lip of the hopper as you did. I haven't done that large of a quantaty since. I regularly roast 1.25# give or take. I have a plastic cup for a scoop, and roast by volume, but I have measured the weight, just not every roast.

Looking back, 2.2 pounds is right, not the 2.5 in the original title... and it was pre-roast weight.

Oh, and I haven't done a video in a while. I could do another max-out on my latest machine.

CHAD

**EDIT: I changed the title to read "2.2" pounds instead of 2.5
Edited by seedlings on 09/06/2009 8:37 PM

bvwelch

seedlings wrote:
I haven't done a video in a while. I could do another max-out on my latest machine.

Please do-- with all this rain, more/new videos are welcome. Been so bored I was watching weed-whacker videos -- who knew they were using them for RC boats! -bill

seedlings
Sorry, Bill:

http://forum.home...post_17408

CHAD

Jump to Forum: