Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,785
Newest Member: Zabbaskeema

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The Junk Yard Tow Truck
John Despres
My heat control. Since I can't find these bulbs at 750 watts, I use a rheostat that goes to eleven. It's a bit hotter, you see?
John Despres attached the following image:
Heat control[824].jpg

Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

John Despres
It ain't pretty, but it does work. I call it the Junk Yard Tow Truck because it looks like one of those home-made tow trucks for dragging hulks around the yard. Ugly but functional.

As I was finishing up, I had no idea where to place the lamps with regards to the bean mass, so I queried Brian. His answer of about 2 inches got me roasting.

I hit first crack at about 15 - 16 minutes.

The small hole in the front allows for IR thermometer readings.

There have been some mishaps along the way. Yesterday I replaced a lamp and started a batch. As it was roasting, I realized I had the lamps pointed straight down. The beans spend most of their time somewhat to the left of center as the drum turns counter clock-wise, so I have the het angled a bit to the left.

Well, the screw holding the lamp asembly on is right at the front, so I decided to correct the angle on the fly...

Dummy! I over corrected and a tab on the assembly cover caught in one of the vanes... I blew a lamp, turned the whole assembly to the left...

Six minutes later, I restarted and finished the roast. I haven't tasted it yet, but I don't have high hopes.

That's the Junk Yard Tow Truck story.
Edited by John Despres on 03/07/2008 1:29 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

David
Kudos to you, John. That's a beauty. s:1
Great story, too.

High praise again to Brainiac for his inspiring contest entry. s:2

seedlings
Huzzah! Huzzah! Hey, Hey, Huzzah!

GREAT stuff!

Do you notice the standard amount of smoke? OH, and, at the risk of being way too nerdy, the "goes to eleven" is hilarious, but did you actually change any of the innards?

Nerdy,
CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

John Despres
Thanks, Chad!

The smoke is an interesting question - Of course it increases when I roast a pound, but it's not so bad that my exhaust fan can't keep up. The interesting part is the temperature port that lets the smoke out also lets steam out. I lean over the port and let the exhaut hit my glasses where I can see the steam fog the lense. I can now detect when most of the moisture has escaped he beans. I'm going to get a small piece of glass to put there so I don't burn an eyeball one day

No, I didn't change any of the innards. The eleven is an homage to a favorite film.

Can anyone name the film?

Junk yard roaster,
John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Kaffee Bitte
Nice John! Looks good. Now can you build one to roast 5 pounds?
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."

John Despres
Thanks, Lynn.

Hmmm. Five pounds? I'll have to get a bigger dial. Maybe one that goes all the way to 13 or 14...

s:8 s:8 s:8 s:8 s:8
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Kaffee Bitte
LOL
You'd probably need a few more halogens, more power running to it, and a bigger pot.

Seriously though Brainiacs design is top notch. When I saw his roaster in the contest I was awestruck. I would love to build something like it with more oomph though.
Lynn

seedlings
This is for the 60 Kilo prototype.

CHAD
seedlings attached the following image:
batman[826].jpg

Edited by seedlings on 03/04/2008 10:19 PM

Kaffee Bitte
I can't even imagine how many halogen lamps that a 60 Kilo would need!
Lynn

MarkBart
One, and a big ol gas burner under it, heheheheheheh
I'm so Bad, I'm Good! www.homeroasters.org/php/images/smiley/cool.gif
I'm putting the small back into Small Business!

John Despres
Indeed; a GREAT big ol gas burner! For 60 Kilos, maybe I rent time on a machine at my local roasterie...

I still want to try the first idea in my first post. I think it can work but I can't get the paddles to agitate well enough without burning.

Maybe it's the top drive post that's causing the problems, but the single paddle seems to work in a bread machine. I'm letting the idea rumble around in my brain for a while...

Any ideas?
Respect the bean.
John Despres

seedlings
You're on the right track. For your original idea, mount a breadmaker motor to the bottom of the pasta pot. You'll have to fabricate a larger paddle (easy enough with a ground clamp and some #6 solid copper wire), but it will work great. I know for fact that 2.5 pounds is doable.

CHAD

John Despres
DOH!

I just figured this out. Bad paddle design. I ran by the studio this morning and looked at my paddle laying on the bench. I then started playing with the remnants of the bread machine I destroyed, and looked carefully at the paddle in the dough bucket. The paddle itself is off center of the post.

Here's my old paddle design.
OLD PADDLE DESIGN[827].jpg

Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
And here's the new paddle design. This could work!
NEW PADDLE DESIGN[828].jpg

Respect the bean.
John Despres

mehhistory
Is there a prize for guessing at the title?

"Spinal Tap" BTW

Mike H.
"In the vault, no one can hear you scream"

seedlings
New paddle looks great! What's the "front" view? Like a pitching wedge?

CHAD

John Despres
Yes, exaclty like a pitching wedge - but more stretched out. I'll post a picture soon.

Sorry no prize for "Spinal Tap", except to shout "mehhistory is a movie trivia genius!"
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
Here's the paddle as I designed it the first time.
paddle 1[829].jpg

Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
And another view.
paddle 2[830].jpg

Respect the bean.
John Despres

seedlings
"Wonder-twin powers ACTIVATE! Form of : FABRICATION SKILLS"

***BBRRRrrrrrRRiiiiinNNNNGGGGGG***

IOW, very nice work! Can you just bend it a little?
CHAD

John Despres
I feel those super powers activating now!

I sure can bend it. Hammer and an anvil bending method. So then, what do you think? bend it so the outside of the curve is the front? I imagine I wouldn't want it to scoop the beans, right?

Thanks, Chad!
Respect the bean.
John Despres

seedlings
I just re-examined my "hand-crafted" stirring vane for the BM. It will certainly catch some beans a-la your first design, but MUCH more beans. I think your original will be fine, actually, because your vane has such a narrow profile where it attaches at the rod.

CHAD

John Despres
The original (the posted pics) is the one that was catching and burning beans. I'll probably go ahead and cut it & re-weld it. Can't hurt. Besides, I like welding...
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
Another thought... Yours is a heat gun roaster, right? Do you hand hold he gun, chasing beans? Mine was a fixed heat source. I wonder if that makes a difference?
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Jump to Forum: