Newest Member: Zabbaskeema

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The Junk Yard Tow Truck
seedlings
"Wonder-twin powers ACTIVATE! Form of : FABRICATION SKILLS"

***BBRRRrrrrrRRiiiiinNNNNGGGGGG***

IOW, very nice work! Can you just bend it a little?
CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

John Despres
I feel those super powers activating now!

I sure can bend it. Hammer and an anvil bending method. So then, what do you think? bend it so the outside of the curve is the front? I imagine I wouldn't want it to scoop the beans, right?

Thanks, Chad!
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

seedlings
I just re-examined my "hand-crafted" stirring vane for the BM. It will certainly catch some beans a-la your first design, but MUCH more beans. I think your original will be fine, actually, because your vane has such a narrow profile where it attaches at the rod.

CHAD

John Despres
The original (the posted pics) is the one that was catching and burning beans. I'll probably go ahead and cut it & re-weld it. Can't hurt. Besides, I like welding...
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

John Despres
Another thought... Yours is a heat gun roaster, right? Do you hand hold he gun, chasing beans? Mine was a fixed heat source. I wonder if that makes a difference?
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
A couple weeks ago before I started on the humidor (I suffer project ADD), I rebuilt the lamp array to reduce the overall size. I decided it was in the way of hitting a constant spot in the bean mass with the IR thermometer. The only spot I could hit very well was at the back and I frequently hit the body of the drum, throwing off my readings.

Once I rebuilt it, I threw in a pound of IMV and roasted away. Correction: I ruined a batch of IMV. I am now a proponent of using throw-away beans for testing a new roaster. IMV is not a throw-way bean. This was the most eneven roast I've ever seen - some were black and oily and some never reached first. This is the only roast I've never tasted. I jarred it up and it sits on my shelf as a reminder to not use good beans to test a new, unfinished roaster.

Ugh!

Now I have some Columbian to run through it to dial it in until I'm comfortable with quality beans.

Glad it wasn't Aussi Mtn Top...

I found a very bright stainless steel cookie sheet I hammered dimples into for a new reflector. The array is now a tighter unit with the stainless l reflector. I used the sme stainless to cover the array with as well.

I then drilled a couple more holes to play with the placement of the array relative to the beans and removed two vanes from the drum. Then I ruined the IMV. I replaced the vanes...

Then I built the humidor. Tomorrow I go back to the Tow Truck and see what I can do.
Edited by John Despres on 03/25/2008 6:02 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres

seedlings

John Despres wrote:
I suffer project ADD

Brothers in arms, we are.

CHAD

John Despres
Hard to stay focused on one project when no one's paying for it except me...
Respect the bean.
John Despres

seedlings
Workin' fo da Man. True. Workin' fo da Man.

CHAD

John Despres
Made some adjustments today and I'm getting closer to having a pretty decent roaster! WOOHOO! There's more to be done, but I backed off the heating array, and got what looks to be roasted coffee. I won't taste it - I stopped several times during the roast to open it and make adjustments.

In the process, I messed up my IR thermometer. Well, I stuck my finger in the sensor and moved the flimsy fresnel lense piece of plastic. I was cleaning it. It probably says right in the directions "do not put anything in the sensor tube" or something to that effect... Anyway, first crack now takes place at about 325 degrees. I took it apart, but can't make it all the way into the sensor tube. I may be able to do it with a dowel tomorrow. I hope.

Respect the bean.
John Despres

seedlings
325? That seems pretty low. I'd think the air temp would be 400F or more, and the beans should be in the vacinity of 375F. Is there any wiggle room with the temp probe?

CHAD

P.S. Taste the beans!

John Despres
OK, I'll brew some. But I'm blaming you, CHAD, if I spit all over the kitchen...

It's not a temp probe. The reading came from my now messed up infrared thermometer. I'm going to try to fix it now...s:6
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
I took the IR thermometer apart and fixed it.

I brewed a cup and it's perhaps the most uninteresting cup I've made since I started roasting. No character, light body, hardly any aftertatse to speak of. There was no need to spit across the kitchen. As it cooled it was brown water...
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
I'm vey pleased!

After yesterday's test batch that didn't taste so good I had the JYTT fairly well dialed in. Tonight I loaded it with a half pound of Ethiopian something or other and ran it full tilt until first crack.

The bean temp readings from the IR thermometer are deceiveing. I'm used to the Gene Cafe temps which are much higher (first comes at about 465-470) the temps in the JYTT are much closer to bean temp and first came at 396F. Watching the temp rise, I was becoming discouraged. I wanted them to race up, I wanted it to be over powered so I could have lots of control later as I begin profiling. Being used to the GC, it took me almot 5 minutes to realize this roaster was moving along quite quickly. First came at 10:15, I dropped the temp and kept the beans at about 402 for 5 minutes and ran the temp back up. I dumped the beans at 16 minutes to cool, right on the verge of second - I think...

I'm very pleased and tomorrow I'll drop a 1 pound test load of throw aways and if all comes out pretty good, I'll start roasting good coffee and see if it really works.

WOOHOO!
Respect the bean.
John Despres

seedlings

John Despres wrote:
I brewed a cup and it's perhaps the most uninteresting cup I've made since I started roasting. No character, light body, hardly any aftertatse to speak of. There was no need to spit across the kitchen. As it cooled it was brown water...

I accept full responsability. :| Consider it a reminder of what "they" drink every morning. (although a bad cup at the Despres house is, I'm sure, WAY better than a good cup at Maxwell's house)

CHAD

John Despres
Oh, yeah! I have no trouble having meetings at my house. I get to stay home, the house gets picked up more often and everyone shows up!

All I have to do is make coffee!
Respect the bean.
John Despres

RockinJava9

seedlings wrote:

John Despres wrote:
I suffer project ADD

Brothers in arms, we are.

CHAD

Project ADD? Not me....
Armin Trosser - disassembled on work bench for almost 1 year.
Have a new Bosch sander, 4 months old, haven't begun cleaning up the wood - just need to get to it!
UNIC Diva and tow UNIC Phoenix machines in my garage
Need to make one a working $1K espresso machine... Bought Oscar cause it was already running....

Brothers in arms, we three!
Shock B) :@ B) :@ B) Shock

Brainiac

MeBeBrett wrote:

UNIC Diva and tow UNIC Phoenix machines in my garage
Need to make one a working $1K espresso machine...

hi Brett

Need any help with Diva information? I did a power of work on my Twin Diva to get it going. Got control box circuit diagrams'n'stuff....

Brian

John Despres
WOOHOO! I made some good headway this afternoon!

The roasts have been terribly uneven. I don't mean the occasional light bean, I mean half the roast is still yellow when it reaches first. I wasted a half pound of Idido Misty Valley. Hence my total and unrelenting support of "R & D Beans". Don't waste the goods one... Start with what the beans look like just to get that far...

I let the roaster sit quietly while contemplating my next move. I opened it frequently, stared at it and just let it rumble around my brain for a while. Then it hit me. The lamp array is about 2 inches from the back of the drum while the front of the array is touching the front door of the drum. There's a big cool area there at the back... I needed to get those "back" beans under the heat. I angled the vanes on the sides of the roaster, but that didn't move the beans forward enough, so I added 4 paddles to the back (formerly the bottom of the pasta pan). These paddles, set in a sort of "swirl" pattern, do a great job of dumping the beans back under the heat.

I also got real tired of dinking around with the IR thermometer through the little hole in the front. I seldom got reliable or consistent readings because of the drum design. There was too much exposed metal as the beans shifted and rolled. This afternoon I bought a thermocouple at Meijer (and a large display timer that counts up). I installed the TC and ran a couple more roasts, tweaking the TC position untill I liked the read-out.

It won't work in the bean mass because the vanes will knock it around so I was looking to place it in a location that would give me first crack at around 400 degreed. I know it's no real indicator, but it's the scale I will use with the timer on this roaster.

All in all, the point is, I seem to be getting pretty darn good roasts out of it. Tomorrow I'll taste the "R & D Beans" and will than choose beans I am familiar with and roast a half pound of those.

Given tha adjustments I've made, I think I'll be able to profile roasts pretty well once I get the hang of this thing. I played a bit today - first roast was heat wide open; I hit first at roughly 12 minutes and dropped so I hit second at 16:30. Next roast I warmed the beans and hit first about 14 minutes with second about 18 minutes. Third roast Was about the same as the second roast.

Next will be back to the R & Beans to see if a pound is possible. If not, no sweat, but I hope it works.

Oh, the coolest part? Chaff control. With the angled vanes, the chaff slides to the front of the drum and escapes into a pie pan though a slight gap between the front door and the drum lip. There's very little chaff to worry about in the colander vacuum.

WOOHOO!
Edited by John Despres on 05/02/2008 5:46 AM
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
I've finally gotten the JYTT truly dialed in - now I need to figure out how to use it.

I'm very pleased I seem to have a pretty darn good little roaster with a lot of potential for variables.

Here's the latest -

I was still getting uneven roasts. It wasn't bad coffee by any stretch, but I knew it wasn't right. I read some more, played some more and I knew I needed more information from the roaster itself so I added a thermocouple through the front door to give me drum temp and started using a wooden spoon as a trier to get bean temps. I just scoop out a few beans and shoot 'em with the IR thermometer. It's not 100% accurate, but awfully close and gives me something to work with.

I then changed my log sheet to give me a graph of each temp as I roasted. I keep an older laptop in my "roasting room" and make entries as I roast and can watch both curves as I go and make adjustments on the fly. It seems on the fly was the way to go for the time being but I was still getting uneven roasts - some worse than others.

Given the two graphs and sorting out everything I don't know with what little I do know, I started comparing the two curves based, not on looks but actual temperatures. The drum temps seemed too hot - 515 degrees in the drum to get to 1st at about 12 minutes?

I tried slowing things down somewhat. Here's what I started with (keep in mind this is a rheostat with arbitrary markings I added, but a measure nonetheless)

Pre-warming the drum to 300F and dumping the beans in just as it reached 300. I pre-warmed with input set at full. Upon adding the beans, I reset to 9.5 on the dial. I chose 9.5 because I learned it kept the drum temp at or very close to 300F - up or down a couple degrees didn't matter much to me since the beans rose at a steady rate.

From there I chose settings to raise the temps and continue the roast. After roasting more and more batches, I realized I was pushing the input to fast at too much of an increase so I pulled it back. I had been raising the input by full numbers - going from 9 to 10 to 11 to full at certain time increments.

Too much, too fast. The drum temp was still racing up. I decided to raise the input by halves and spread out the time I did it in. Hmmm. That worked, now try a little more time between - My log sheet is divided by 30 second intervals so I tweaked and tweaked some more.

Oh, yeah, I was definitely raising the input way too fast! It seems a slower steady rise with first crack at about 14-15 minutes gives me much better looking, more even roasts. They taste good, too!

Now I can actually start profiling. I have enough information and a basis to ramp beans up faster or slower.

Where I was raising temps by whole numbers on the dial, I now raise them by halves and never go to full.

Interesting thing, I was hitting first crack in a drum temp of 520F at 13:00 or so and now I'm hitting first at roughly 450F at about 14:30-15:00 and getting very even looking, tasty roasts.

It took me a while, but I'm delighted with it! Much more to learn, but I got the insanely hard part out of the way. Now I'm up to the hard part.

I'm still having a difficult time dropping the temp at the end just the right amount and at the right time to let exothermic take over without stalling the roast.

The last thing I need to do is see if I can roast 500 grams so I can call it a half kilo roaster.

Gettin' there!
Edited by John Despres on 06/02/2008 8:37 AM
Respect the bean.
John Despres

EddieDove
Another excellent report, John! Keep the notes coming!
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/

John Despres
Here's more. I think I can call it a half kilo roaster! The JYTT Half K. Sounds pretty cool, huh?

I just did 500 grams and am adding to the mush sloshing around in my brain.

I warmed the drum to 300F and added the beans. The drum temp dropped to 245F rather quickly. I set the temp to maintain 300F for a half pound, but apparently it's not enough. I'll have to set it higher since that many beans sucks the temp right out of the drum in a big fat hurry. The bean temp did indeed rise as time passed, but at a slower rate, than I think it should be. I was still within 10 - 15 seconds rise per minute.

Do you all who roast larger and smaller quantities need to adjust accordingly? I've never roasted this much so I'm unclear.

All in all, I hit first at 19:30 and ended the roast at 24:00 without hitting second. Munch test tells me it's good, but the brewing will tell the true tale.

The roast is about City/City + with a 14% loss in weight. There's still a bit of light chaff showing in the seam.

I'm certain I have the power to hit first much sooner with a 500 gram load, so that'll be the next test.

The JYTT Half K. I like it!
Respect the bean.
John Despres

seedlings
Way to go, John! Let us know how the temp ramps change with the larger batch sizes.

How do the IR thermometer readings from beans scooped out compare to the TC inside the machine?

CHAD

John Despres
Once the beans catch up to the drum temp and the two temperatures start running more or less parallel, the beans lag behind the drum temp by about 55F.

I actually don't really scoop out the beans. I scoop them and, keeping them in the drum, can gat a shot t them with the IR thermometer. I can get a shot at the beans in the drum, but under the light, I'm reading the energy of the 1000 watts of light.

Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
My memory fails me... I should have referred to a log or two. The bean temp lags behind by about 25-30F.
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Jump to Forum: