Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,167
Newest Member: Soubriquet

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
1st try with bread machine and heat gun
seedlings
Stu, if you watch carefully I have a pair of plyers and a small wrench on the bench. Pick up the tub's handle with the plyers, then use the wrench to tip it upside down.

...Or... is my real name Clark Kent?

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

bvwelch
I purchased a cheap ( $4 ) pair of leather "welders" gloves from Harbor Freight.

I am right-handed, so the left hand *always* has the glove on. I pull the right-hand glove on and off as needed, but keep the left glove on, in case I have to grab something or other... Kind of a Michael Jackson look with the one glove, but I think it is worth it.

bill
Edited by bvwelch on 04/25/2008 4:18 PM

boyntonstu

bvwelch wrote:
I purchased a cheap ( $4 ) pair of leather "welders" gloves from Harbor Freight.

I am right-handed, so the left hand *always* has the glove on. I pull the right-hand glove on and off as needed, but keep the left glove on, in case I have to grab something or other... Kind of a Michael Jackson look with the one glove, but I think it is worth it.

bill

Exactly what I use.

BoyntonStu

seedlings
Pliers: Free
Chubby wrench: Free
Great coffee roast: Priceless.

CHAD

bvwelch
Can't resist rubbing it in, about my bad roasts, huh?

I seem to recall we've both spilled the beans, literally. Did your pliers fail, or your wrench?

bill

seedlings

bvwelch wrote:
Can't resist rubbing it in, about my bad roasts, huh?

I seem to recall we've both spilled the beans, literally. Did your pliers fail, or your wrench?

bill

I've had so many bad roasts, spills, poorly engineered roasters... I'd never make fun of anyone but myself. The flip side is that if something is funny - it's funny. You know the cliche..."I'm laughing with you..."

I take pride in being the butt of my own jokes!!!!

CHAD

bvwelch
Yeah, I know, just having a little fun here too.

And by the way, even with my cheap glove, you can't hold the loaf pan too long. :-)

I may try the pliers.

And my wife stands at the ready with the fire extinguisher, since she witnessed my spilling of one pound of beans, which were still into 2nd crack as they lay scattered on the shop floor.

bill
Edited by bvwelch on 04/25/2008 9:19 PM

seedlings

bvwelch wrote:
And my wife stands at the ready with the fire extinguisher, since she witnessed my spilling of one pound of beans, which were still into 2nd crack as they lay scattered on the shop floor.

So, what you're saying is that she's supportive.

CHAD
;)

bvwelch
Yes, my wife is truly a blessing from above!

Today, I got the bright idea to modify my bread machine, to make it into more of a vertical style like yours, Chad.

Also, I tried an experiment-- I did the entire roast on the "low" heat gun setting. I donated one pound of my wife's Sumatra beans (sshhh don't tell).

I'm afraid they are "baked" beans -- that is the bad news. Some "good news", is that the TC gives much more reasonable readings now, with the "vertical" setup. I assume it is mostly due to how "tall" the column of beans are now, such that the TC is buried deep in the beans. But another factor might be that since the heat gun was on "low", and the beans "baked" slowly, the TC had plenty of time to "keep up" with the bean temperature.

Here are a few excepts from the "baked bean" profile-- it took twelve minutes to reach 300 F, and it didn't hit 395 F until a total of 25 minutes elapsed. I pulled the beans at 31 minutes, and a temp of 440.

Photos of the mods follow:

bvwelch.com/roast/bread1.jpg

bvwelch.com/roast/bread2.jpg

bvwelch.com/roast/bread3.jpg

bill

seedlings

bvwelch wrote:
Here are a few excepts from the "baked bean" profile-- it took twelve minutes to reach 300 F, and it didn't hit 395 F until a total of 25 minutes elapsed. I pulled the beans at 31 minutes, and a temp of 440.

:(

I just don't understand why the temp didn't come up. Could it be there is that much more area in your bread pan? I'm sorry to lead you to a pound of bland.

Be sure to brew some so you also know how baked tastes. I'm not joking. You don't have to drink but a sip, but pay attention to the smell of the grounds, dry and wet, and then the sip.

Unfortunately this is how we learn. The scruel of hard knocks.

I was just thinking... does your breadmaker still have the built in heat element, because maybe you just need a little heat boost?

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 04/26/2008 8:57 PM

bvwelch
Hey Chad, no worries. I learned a lot. And I could tell, in the first 5 minutes, that this would probably be a "baked" situation, but I chose to go all the way to the end (on LOW heat), and took notes (in the interest of science).

I didn't mention it before, but with the new "vertical mod" in place, I did a dry run (no beans) on HIGH heat, and wow, the temp shot up like a rocket -- 450 F in about 80 seconds. So, in the future, with my '555 controller, or just manually switching from HIGH to LOW, I should have great control over the profile.

Also it was a good test of the new "vertical" mod, and the improved TC readings are very encouraging.

Personally, Sumatra seems flat to me anyway, so it may not be too different. We'll see in a few days.

bill
Edited by bvwelch on 04/26/2008 9:08 PM

David

bvwelch wrote:I didn't mention it before, but with the new "vertical mod" in place, I did a dry run (no beans) on HIGH heat, and wow, the temp shot up like a rocket -- 450 F in about 80 seconds. So, in the future, with my '555 controller, or just manually switching from HIGH to LOW, I should have great control over the profile.

Hi Bill,

The air does heat up in a hurry. But drop a pound or so of beans into the roaster and watch the temperature drop. Mine typically drops to about 120F before it starts to climb back up. Just something to be aware of when timing the roast.

Still, that 555 does promise a lot of control.

David
c:1

Jump to Forum: