Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
So, Chad.....
Kaffee Bitte
Just wondering how your espresso is coming along. Haven't heard much about your gaggia in a while! Are you still using the BM/HG more than the drum?

Any new and interesting coffee running through your machines?

Once I am settled in over in Missoula I am going to get around to my various roaster projects.

Just curious what's up with you lately!
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."

seedlings
Howdy, there, Lynn!

I've nearly given up on the espresso. The next step is to buy a little scale to measure grams exactly so that's not a variable. I really don't have much more to say or ask about it. I know what changes do what, I just can't make it come together. The last few shots start good for about 3 seconds, then just spew a translucent yellow gyser. It's getting worse. The last week I've had beans between 5 and 7 days rested, too...

I haven't fired up the grill yet this spring, but propane is on my list of things to get.

Lately I've been working on my other other other hobby: building tube guitar amplifiers by hand. So far I've made two. Mucho thanks to Mr. Bill (bvwelch) for his surplus stock of transformers, tubes and misc eletronica parts! When you can't espresso... rock! I've just been using the breadmaker, although I am collecting pieces for the Rostus Ultimatus Jr.

You're up and coming, now aren't you! s:2 How's the move and the non-coffee-related job going to get in the way of your true passion for the bean?

Thanks for asking!

CHAD
seedlings attached the following image:
Amp small[856].jpg

Edited by seedlings on 03/25/2008 8:38 PM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Kaffee Bitte
Ah, yes espresso. Got to love the spro! If you have a spouted portafilter you should try that for a while. Sometimes the naked pf's can lead to a great deal of frustration at first. You look at the shot coming out and don't bother tasting it. Sometimes even ugly shots can taste like heaven.

Looks like you have a pretty nice stash of tube amps built up! Nice work.

The Missoula job is going to be great for me. I work three days per week and get 36-40 hours during that time. Good benefits, retirement fund. Four days a week can be devoted to coffee roasting, though I doubt I will have to go that far. Even if I have to roast all four days I am off, I rarely have to put in more that five hours total for that. The good news is that all of my weather related woes are about to end. The deck of the house I am moving into has a nice roof, to keep snow and rain off me and my beans! I will no longer be cooling beans with snow!!! Another nice thing is that being the alpha male of the house (my roommates are all younger) means I get two bedrooms for myself. One room will be my bedroom (of course), the other will be dedicated as a coffee shrine/office. I will live within six blocks of my work place and the downtown region is a twenty minute walk. Less fuel used means a happy coffee geek! It also means saving more funds to place to the service of building new and exciting coffee projects.
Lynn

John Despres
Tube amps? Cool. Mine's a Super Champ. Not hand made, though.

ROCK & ROAST!
ROCK & ROAST, DUDE!
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

seedlings
John, My first build was a Champ clone, but not the super, the original narrow panel 5F1 with the lone knob.

Lynn, wow, your own roasting heaven built-in to the back deck? That's KILLER! Oh, and the alpha male the one who fights and wins! Be prepared for the challenges to your authority! Note: once there is an alpha female around, there is NO question regarding authority.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Kaffee Bitte

seedlings wrote:Be prepared for the challenges to your authority! Note: once there is an alpha female around, there is NO question regarding authority.

CHAD

This is true, but not something I need to worry much about yet.
Lynn

Jump to Forum: