Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
recipe question about mocha punch
lzsbearly
I have this awesome recipe for mocha punch. It calls for instant coffee, to make the coffee concentrate or syrup, is there a way to do it with real coffee?
here is the recipe so you know what I'm talking about.

Bring 2c water and 1 3/4 c sugar to a boil in a sauce pan, add 2c instant coffee. Cool. Then add to 1 gal milk, 1/2 gal ice cream, and 1tsp vanilla or rum flavoring.
L'z

ginny
Great question. It also depends on what coffee you might use from your greens.

I would got out and buy some "instant" (yes that word passed my lips) coffee add it to the water and taste it...

caaa caaa...

my guess is that if you would roast your coffee to your taste, brew your coffee and add 2 cups of your brewed coffee and forget the instant altogether.

I may roast mine to a good vienna or use one of the funky coffee's.

I will try this tomorrow.

thanks L'z

s:8s:8s:8s:8

cuz I want chocolate!!

John Despres
My wife loves mochas. Is that two cups of dried coffee? Or two cups of brewed coffee? I'm guessing it's dried coffee, given the amount of liquid, but maybe not.
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

lzsbearly
Yes, John it is 2c of instant coffee crystals:7 into 2c of water and 1 3/4c of sugar. It makes a kinda coffee concentrate. Which mixed with the milk and Tillimook ice cream is awesome. It was only after I finished my morning coffee that I thought it would be better if we could use real coffee.
Just a thought An Aeropress makes concentrated coffee?

L'z

David

lzsbearly wrote:Just a thought An Aeropress makes concentrated coffee?

Indeed it does. If I am using coffee to flavor something, I usually use my AeroPress. It usually does pretty well if I let it steep for a few minutes
For a really syrupy brew I'll do an overnight in the Toddy Cold Brewer.

I know others would use 'spro,
but, alas, I have no espresso machine to brag about. c:4

John Despres
Indeed an areopress will make concentrate. But the question is how much to reach the correct matching amount. I imagine some playing around may be necessary to get the equivelant. What is Tillimook ice cream? I have not heard of it.
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

John Despres
That was weird - David's response showed on the reload after I posted my response and the first parts are amlost identical...
Respect the bean.
John Despres

lzsbearly
Tillamook ice cream is one of the few best I have had. It is by the same Tillamook that makes cheese. I know their cheeses are in Walmart or Safeway. As for their Ice cream you can only get it in the North west.

What is a Toddy Cold Brewer?
L'z
L'z

David

John Despres of West Michigan wrote:
That was weird - David's response showed on the reload after I posted my response and the first parts are amlost identical...

Not weird at all if you went to Kalamazoo College in the '60s. Shock

Yeah, Kazoo!! :|

John Despres
HA! Must be a Michigan thing...s:8s:8
Respect the bean.
John Despres

seedlings
Is a French Press handy? Put triple the grounds in there and let it steep a minute longer for Xtra Potent elixir! You may have to play with the grind size a little, but it would still have to taste better than freeze dried!

You can use strong coffee or espresso in place of water in pretty much any recipe... like brownies, or cake for instance. I've had great success.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

lzsbearly
Could I boil the sugar in with the water before putting it in the French Press?
L'z

lzsbearly
I finally made my punch for the 4th. I brewed a triple strength batch of coffee in the french press, then strained it through the Chemex. My little french press made just over 2 cups. We used a mix of Mexican, and Bolivian beans. After I strained it I stirred in sugar till it tasted sweet enough. It tasted like Cracker Jacks. The punch was gone shortly after I made it and there weren't that may people here.

THANKS for all your help with this
L'zc:3H)H)H)H)s:1s:1s:1s:1
L'z

Jump to Forum: