Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Best Green Coffee Under $4 per pound (no snobs allowed)
seedlings

bvwelch wrote:

Your coffee went out this morning.

-bill

Rock ON!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

bvwelch
Roasted some greens from Chad today --

http://sales.inva...perior.php

I truly enjoyed roasting these beans-- large beans, easy to roast, nice 1st and 2nd cracks, plenty of smells, smokes-- it should be very easy to learn these beans. Admittedly, my first roast went rather long and dark, but for me, it is the best way to learn how to roast a new bean. I can always find someone who (thinks) "the darker the better", but I'll probably enjoy them myself!

Thanks Chad-- my next batch will be lighter.

-bill

ps: no rocks or any foreign matter in these greens!
Edited by seedlings on 12/04/2008 3:08 PM

stevegoley
Hello Roasters, I'm new to home roasting and am looking for some good cheaper coffee, from a reputable vendor. I prefer to buy from companies that are involved in co-ops or similar ventures. Does anyone know of a vendor that fits this description - I typically like Costa Rican beans but am up for anything. I once visited Costa Rica and had the best coffee of my life...I'm still trying to replicate the experience.

seedlings
Huge welcome stevegoley! Great inquiry, too.

I think all of the sites mentioned so far sell Fair Trade and/or Organic coffees, which many believe improve working conditions for the farmers.

If you're asking specifically about co-ops, you must check out www.greencoffeebu..., which is a cooperative of people like you and me who buy 130 pound bags directly from coffee importers and divide them out to ship to other guys like you and me.

The third issue may be that you're looking for companies that SELL green beans to us, AND IMPORT them directly from relationships with the farmers. This situation is rare. I'd say that www.sweetmarias.com is the only one that comes to mind, but I'm pretty sure they do not directly import, but buy coffee imported by (an)other company(ies).

Actually, I have offered two coffees now for sale here, a Brazil and an Ethiopian. The Brazil was under $3 shipped, and the pricey Ethiopian was
right at $4 shipped. I sold out of each very quickly. Check back often though.

Hope this helps a little!

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 02/10/2009 8:49 AM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

BoldJava

stevegoley wrote:
Hello Roasters, I'm new to home roasting and am looking for some good cheaper coffee, from a reputable vendor. I prefer to buy from companies that are involved in co-ops or similar ventures....

Steve, check back in late Feb 22nd or so. I expect to move a bag or two thru the site. Please see other thread for details:

http://forum.home...ad_id=1186

B|Java
http://sidewalkmy...
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

GregLee
Especially if you live Hawaii, you might want to take a look at Black Gold Coffee (www.blackgoldcoffeecompany.com), which has prices starting at $3.15/lb. and free shipping on orders >= $25. What's special about getting green beans in Hawaii is that "free shipping" offers often do not include Alaska or Hawaii. and there are some special restrictions on shipping green beans into Hawaii that are essentially impossible for private individuals to satisfy, so that Sweet Marias, e.g., will not send me green beans at all.
Greg

bvwelch
There are some great prices over on GCBC right now -- Sumatra TP for under $4 shipped (within USA). Also Bugisu for $5 shipped. I'm just a well-satisfied customer. -bill

JuJuBean
Another place you can get green coffee under $4 is qualitygreencoffee.com. I just received an email with the discount coupon, 15% off on Brazil Cerrado. They say it's an additional discount and the price can be as low as $3.89/lb, if you get more than 15 lbs or so. If you get less than that, I don't think it's going to be $3.89, but I think you still get 15% off the regular price... BTW, in their email, they said I could pass this coupon around... Coupon Code - QGC854125SO0231RSTR

JuJuBean
QualityGreenCoffee.com just lowered their price for Brazil Cerrado. With 15% off coupon, now it's about $3.50... just for your information...

bvwelch
I'm looking for recommendations for Brazil and Columbian greens. Price is important, but also how do they taste?

Thank you.
Edited by bvwelch on 12/04/2009 5:56 PM

JuJuBean
Based on my roasting and cupping experience, Columbian coffees have better aroma and acidity than Barzil Cerrado. Cerrado has lower acidity. The price difference btw Cerrado and Columbian Papayan was about $2 as well. For two dollars, I think you can get better aroma and more bright taste. Hope that helps...

Clifford
Bold Java Thanks for your post. I will eagerly await this years selection. I still have some of the Peru and East Timor from this year and an drinking some now. ...mmmmm good
May the Force be with your cup

John Despres
Clifford, BJ's post was regarding last February 22... Don't go looking for it this coming February.
John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Clifford
Thanks John, I guess that sometimes I am not too up on things. This is fun
May the Force be with your cup

Jump to Forum: