sihar

Total Members: 7,663
Newest Member: sihar

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
How To Videos: Breadmaker and Heatgun
seedlings
Never fear. Even people like me can roast coffee at home. This video is a typical roasting session for me, except for the pesky camera and stand. Man what a chore, I tell ya. Plus I talked a lot so that you don't get bored... well, so I don't get bored. And I'm proud to say I actually stopped at City + and didn't get into 2C at all! What's in the video? One entire roasting session from scooping green beans into the breadmaker to cooling. What about the in-between part? Let me just say we'll touch on thermocouples, smoke aroma, crack sounds, analog thermometers, decibel meters... just to name a few things. Who doesn't like dry humor?

As a warning, I do use a CLICK -->Router Speed Control<-- to dial down the heatgun temperature, so I do have one extra piece of hardware besides a heatgun and a breadmaker.

Video production? Not necessary. Editing? No, thanks. Raw, and uncut, here you go. It's not the only way, but it works:

(Feature length: 10:00)

(Feature length: 10:00) When I say "The heatgun is pretty close to the heat" of course you'll understand that I mean "the heatgun is pretty close to the BEANS." Although it's funny.

Isn't it worth 20 minutes of your life?
CHAD
seedlings attached the following image:
Restricted[904].jpg

Edited by seedlings on 01/13/2009 12:26 PM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

bvwelch
Hey, nice job! It was real interesting to see your roaster in action, and the running commentary was good too.

PeteH
Great videos Chad, nice job of shooting while roasting. I have a router control just like yours and will start using it with my HG from now on for a little more control.

I'm sure a lot of people will get the urge/courage to try HG/BM roasting after seeing how easy you made it look.
Pete

bvwelch
If anyone should like to make more of these videos, I know us newbies would really benefit. Especially if you're able to video and provide commentary while slowing down the roast between 1st crack and the end of the roast.

Thanks!

bill

EddieDove
Great job, Chad! s:2s:2s:2
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/

seedlings

bvwelch wrote:
If anyone should like to make more of these videos, I know us newbies would really benefit. Especially if you're able to video and provide commentary while slowing down the roast between 1st crack and the end of the roast.

Thanks!

bill

With what? A popper? The breadmaker again? I'd be happy to run some more video.

CHAD

bvwelch
The bread maker would be my vote. You could just "film" your next few roasts, and we would have a nice collection of real-life roasts that we could discuss.

It seems like there is a common approach-- get the beans up to some initial heat level and try to hold them there, to dry them out... then, ramp up fairly quickly to 1st. But what is first? the initial "pop", or do you wait for a series of pops?

Next, the step that I usually mess up-- Allow flavor/taste to develop, (slowly?) as you move from 1st towards 2nd. But "don't stall the roast" (whatever that means), and don't rush to 2nd, and beyond, either...

Not sure, really, what I'm looking for. But if you're willing, surely just having a recording of your next few roasts will be helpful to us newbies.

thanks,

bill

seedlings
Hmmm, it sounds like you've been reading a lot. It's not nearly as complicated as we make it out to be. Don't get me wrong, it can be complicated if you want.

Honestly I'm not nuanced enough for this type of instruction video. I can tell you what I'm intending to do, but every roast I do turns into some sort of experiment. I'm not sure I will ever (want to) be able to give a dissertation of the minutia differences between roasting a dry process versus a wet process coffee, and where exactly the chemical reactions start. I sure admire those who can, though.

I'll film the next few roasts and we'll see what happens.

CHAD

bvwelch
CHAD, I think your video idea was, and is cool. But if gets to where you aren't having fun making them, just drop the idea.

But for me, seeing (and hearing) your "experiments" is both fun, and informative.

Thanks,

bill

seedlings

bvwelch wrote:
The bread maker would be my vote. You could just "film" your next few roasts, and we would have a nice collection of real-life roasts that we could discuss.

...snip...

Not sure, really, what I'm looking for. But if you're willing, surely just having a recording of your next few roasts will be helpful to us newbies.

thanks,

bill

You may be the only one interested, but here are the latest, this one's even LONGER and in 3 PARTS, plus I edited out just about all the lulls:

Part 1:
http://www.youtub...W_Ogv8FvLs

Part 2:
http://www.youtub...lujFT9-w9o

Part 3:
http://www.youtub...6H9rRLlRWA

I did edit out the part where I grabbed the smokin' hot hopper handle with my bare hand... should've made a blooper reel. Gee whiz, my name sure isn't Grace.

I'm tired. Going to bed.

CHAD

bvwelch
I really enjoyed the videos and I think I learned a lot that I can apply to my next roasts.

If I understood what happened-- you had a few "early" 1st crack sounds, and then a long time, and then the "real" 1st crack?

I think maybe sometimes what I thought was 2nd crack, was really just the *real* 1st crack. And so I may be pulling beans way too early on some roasts.

Thanks for these videos!

bill
Edited by bvwelch on 04/29/2008 9:30 AM

seedlings

bvwelch wrote:
If I understood what happened-- you had a few "early" 1st crack sounds, and then a long time, and then the "real" 1st crack?

I think maybe sometimes what I thought was 2nd crack, was really just the *real* 1st crack. And so I may be pulling beans way too early on some roasts.

Exactly. I think this is the downside of having the heat source an inch away from some of the beans.

You were right though about starting on Low Heat. I think it would work OK with much less beans. Often I do 2 cup batches instead of the giant one in this video. I think in future videos I'll decrease the batch size so the videos are shorter!

CHAD

bvwelch
CHAD,

I'll say again-- thanks much for these videos- I am learning from them, for sure!

If you should choose to do another video, I wonder if you could turn off both the heatgun and stirrer motor, for brief periods when you are hearing the cracking noises? Maybe your setup could capture those sounds, that would be an extra bonus.

Thanks again,

bill

Jump to Forum: