Members Online: 0

Total Members: 7,663
Newest Member: sihar

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
sight glass for breadmachine?
bvwelch
I'm wanting to see what is going on during the roast, with the heatgun / bread machine set up.

My wife suggested fitting the top with a glass lid, maybe corning ware from a thrift store... Not bad, but what I'd really like is a side view.

Concept-- slice the side of the bread machine cabinet, and the loaf pan, with a saws-all or some such tool. Then RTV some sort of oven-proof glass onto the loaf pan. Done.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-bill

MarkBart
Many bread machines come with a glass viewing port in the top, at $4 to $8 a machine just think of all the spare parts you'd have left.
Bread pans modified for small loads, machines with 30 minute dough cycles, components for that 1 kilo halogen machine you always wanted, or maybe that 10 pound roaster made from five 2lb roasters, hehehehe. Talk about bowning out the grid.
I'm so Bad, I'm Good! www.homeroasters.org/php/images/smiley/cool.gif
I'm putting the small back into Small Business!

MarkBart
Come to think of it, those glass fronts to the halogen lamp fixtures would make very nice large viewing ports. http://www.northe..._200309783 Item# 160947 only $6.99 on Northern Tools website, deffinately more in your local NT store.
Edited by MarkBart on 06/03/2008 2:38 PM

bvwelch
Thanks for some good ideas. I had assumed that the viewing ports on the breadmachines were plastic, so after your suggestion, I checked my breadmachines, and you are right-- they are glass. I chose the thickest one of the three, and cut a hole in my homemade "lid".

Man, it is great to be able to see the beans again! Something I was missing from my "popper" days...

I also remembered how Stu has his breadmachine on the ground, or at least on a low platform-- so I tried that-- wonderful, now I can monitor the roast much better!

I do wonder if this glass is rated for the heat I'm giving those beans... So I'm trying to keep a safe distance from it, except when actually looking at the beans.

Thanks!

-bill

MarkBart
I like the idea of the glass side ports, and any glass ie. the stuff 2 inches infront of them halogen bulbs would probably work well.
Hmmm 2 halogen lamps for the cover for overhead heating, and since the front glass had to be removed to bring the lamps close enough to cover the machine, the unused glass could be used for the front of the breadpan and for the front of the bread machine. What a view you would get, might have to cover the inside of the glass with perferated metal or mesh to darken all that light.
Edited by MarkBart on 06/07/2008 11:46 PM

bvwelch
I am enjoying my "viewport" on the top of my breadmachine "lid" so well, that I have put off trying to install a side-port.

It sure is great to be able to take a look-see without disturbing anything.

I'm still a bit anxious as to how hot a temp this glass can withstand. But I'm trying to keep the air temp below 450 so hopefully that will be OK.

Thanks!

-bill

boyntonstu
When Grandma was baking a pie in the oven, did she need a sight glass?

No. She opened the oven door and peeked inside.

My $0.02 is that many folks are making simple things complicated.

I like KISS.

It takes a only second to lift the lid and peek into the tub of my setup.;)
boyntonstu attached the following image:
Heat Gun BM15 with  thermometer[987].jpg

bvwelch
Stu, your hands-free lid design is great, and I enjoyed building a similar lid for my setup. thank you.

But the mod to add a glass "window" in the lid was trivial and allows me to take a look without removing the lid. I had the glass from the original bread machine lid anyway.

It seems to me, by definition, we DIYers are making things more complicated than necessary-- we could just go out and buy an off the shelf coffee roaster.

I'm glad you like your setup. I like mine too.

-bill

boyntonstu
Bill,

A few comments:

If you really want to see the color of the beans why look through a small glass that is not completely transparent?

When folks buy something in a store and the color is important, why do they go outside to really see the color?

What I attempt to do is to roast midday with the sun overhead.

I can "make" an "inspection glass" by just pulling the lid aside.
about 3/4".

I really don't do that because a full peek is so much better.

I use color, smoke, and most importantly; SOUND to determine when to dump.

To date, I have never burnt a batch.

FWIW.

BoyntonStu

P.S. Is a BM/HG more or less complicated than an off the shelf coffee roaster?

I believe that my setup is less complicated.

On/Off control is all that I require or deem necessary.

IMHO Adding hoses, HG holders, multiple HGs, digital controllers, etc. will complicate the design.

bvwelch wrote:
Stu, your hands-free lid design is great, and I enjoyed building a similar lid for my setup. thank you.

But the mod to add a glass "window" in the lid was trivial and allows me to take a look without removing the lid. I had the glass from the original bread machine lid anyway.

It seems to me, by definition, we DIYers are making things more complicated than necessary-- we could just go out and buy an off the shelf coffee roaster.

I'm glad you like your setup. I like mine too.

-bill

seedlings
Stu, you haven't burned one, but have you underroasted? That's the problem I have when I go by sound and smell alone (and don't forget, you added a thermometer recently!). OH, I forgot, is the heatgun "attached" to the lid so you can pick up the whole HG/lid assembly with the heatgun handle? I bet it is, handy as you are. I like a little bit of complication. T'ain't nobody happy who don't got somethin t' comlain 'bout.

Bill, are you giving up on the breadmaker now to improve the SC/TO with the 360 degree view???

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

boyntonstu

seedlings wrote:
Stu, you haven't burned one, but have you underroasted? That's the problem I have when I go by sound and smell alone (and don't forget, you added a thermometer recently!). OH, I forgot, is the heatgun "attached" to the lid so you can pick up the whole HG/lid assembly with the heatgun handle? I bet it is, handy as you are. I like a little bit of complication. T'ain't nobody happy who don't got somethin t' comlain 'bout.

Bill, are you giving up on the breadmaker now to improve the SC/TO with the 360 degree view???

CHAD

Chad,

I added a thermometer and removed it after a few roasts. I deem it as unnecessary.

I can hear the 2nd crack and judge more precisely than I can observe the subtle color change. That is why I minimize a sight glass.

I have under roasted a little before I zeroed in on observing the sound.

It is crinkling as I dump.

Stu;)

bvwelch
Stu, I'm glad you're happy with your setup. Thanks for your insights.

I find it entertaining to view the beans-- not just color, but size of bean, chaff, smoke. Having a window is fun-- like the glass in our woodstove.

I enjoy logging the temp on a scrap of paper, and when I think the beans are around 300, I flip the heatgun on low for a couple minutes to dry out the beans a bit. Then I go back to high setting for a while, until around 390 or so. Then I toggle between high and low, while the temp climbs slowly over several minutes to around 330 or so, at which point, just as you say, I hear the 2nd crack and dump the beans.

I recently stole another good idea from CHAD, and added a 2nd temp reading near the top, and I try to keep the air temp below 450. This seems to help me maintain more control over the roasting process.

I'm having fun, and I deem it necessary. :-)

Otherwise, I could go back to buying my roasted beans from a very nice family roasting business near by. Until I started homeroasting, I had no idea how good a job they are doing!

-bill
Edited by bvwelch on 06/23/2008 9:53 AM

bvwelch
CHAD,

On Saturday, I switched back and forth between the bread machine with the heatgun, and the other bread machine with the Turbo Oven. It was fun!

Honestly, if I hadn't found that Turbo Oven for $1 at the yard sale, I wouldn't have bothered. And the Stir Crazy motor is too weak. But man, using the bread machine and the steel mixing bowl is amazingly powerful.

I suspect my next project will be a bigger cooling setup, and after that, I may get the nerve to try two pounds of greens with the mixing bowl and the Turbo Oven!

-bill

DavidG
So I went back to find this thread...

I have a sight glass upgrade on my BM/HG rig precisely because this thread stuck in my head.

I have copied so many ideas here at HRO and modified and integrated so many ideas from this forum that the least I can do is post up some pics so others can copy, be amused, and get thinking about another way it could be done.

Now that I have the sight glass, I am seriously thinking of adding an oven light to the inside of the lid. The sight glass came from another BM from my BM chop shop in the basement.

DavidG
DavidG attached the following image:
23684_1395773864143_1526104909_2585645_5327116_n.jpg

Edited by DavidG on 04/11/2010 10:56 PM
europiccola | yama + coryrod | chemex | AP | clever
wbp1 | wepp1 | bm/hg | co hybrid (still coming soon...)

DavidG
pic 2
DavidG attached the following image:
23684_1395774144150_1526104909_2585648_1683069_n.jpg

bvwelch
Very cool mod David! And having a light sounds great, if you can figure out a way to deal with the heat.

Truth in advertising moment--- Stu was right. After a while I got bored with the glass and although I still have it, I never bother to clean it, and so I can't see much of anything thru it. -bill

seedlings
Great machine, David! Is it all-new, or have you been using it for a while? It's so clean!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

DavidG
CHAD, I'm still breaking it in. So, you're right, the brown, burnt plastic and stained metal patina is yet to come!

Probably 6 or so roasts so far on this set up.

David

Jump to Forum: