Who is here? 2 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What's in your cup?
Clifford
I just finished my first cup of the Panama Gesha from SM. It was absolutely fantastic, and this was the cheap stuff(relatively). I 2 weeks I can do another batch ---so I can stretch it out till this years comes in. Tom said that Lot 10 is intoxicating ---I got there on Lot 5.

Even more important, I am marching up the learning curve. It tasted sort of lemony, but not quite. I read Tom's instruction and he said it tasted like lemon rind --- BINGO The next sip confirmed that I was tasting lemon rind

This means two things to me.

1. My taste buds are earning to be accurate

2 I must be doing something right while roasting in my Behmor

I am congratulating myself on my progress. I can still taste the wonderful coffee and am deciding how to do my next roast
May the Force be with your cup
John Despres
Congratulations, Clifford! It's great when a plan comes together, Isn't it?

I bought some of each of that Gesha from Tom. Frankly, I would have never spent the money on the two high priced lots if the others had not been available as well. I haven't roasted lot 2 yet (I'm a bit intimidated...that's a lot of money to botch up) but will soon enough. The first three I've tried were outstanding and each was truly an improvement over the "lesser" bean.

Have fun and thanks for the post about this bean.

John

Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
BoldJava
Pura Vida's gifted Colombia. This is billed as a 'medium' roast.
http://www.puravi...mbian.html

The roast is darker than anything I have ever roasted. The oils are so pronounced that the roast reminds me of what our shoes were to look like during basic training. The grounds behaved differently in the vacpot, being one of the slowest drawdowns I have ever had.

Not my cup of tea.

B|Java

http://sidewalkmy...
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI
Clifford
John, It was lot 5 that I roasted, Tom wrote that Lot 10 is truly intoxicating. Ican not afford these and the others ??? out of reach, but I am looking forward to trying a 1/2 # of lot 1 after my next trial of 5

Yes, it is great when one finally sees progress
May the Force be with your cup
BoldJava
The Rwanda CoE, #18, from Buf Cafe. Very, very balanced cup. Skosh of Half and Half. Black currants/orange delight. Bright bugger that I took to FC which will probably be my roast of choice with it. Much too bright for the Czarina, who runs from a Kenyan.

A cup with which you dialogue. Love the complexity and nuances. The intl panel got it right.

B|Java
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI
cfsheridan
Vacuum pot of a Burundi Bwayi sample. Tree fruit, nice crisp acidity, chewy body, along with hints of caramel in the finish.

Bunn Airpot drip of a Kenya sample blend--lots of citrus in this cup, along with spice hints with full range (not heavy) body and citrus zest in the finish. Wonder if the churchgoers have started to figure out my mark on which cup is my favorite of the morning (I put a tiny piece of a yellow sticky on the pot I want (don't label them lately). Four regular and 1 decaf every Sunday.

BoldJava
Col COE, '08. Buena Vista, #18.

It was stellar at 36 hours, good at 5 days. Today, it is just another Colombian. Last year's crop and so it fades quickly.

While not a Colombian fan, it was the Choc bomb w/cream.

B|Java
Edited by BoldJava on 03/30/2009 6:17 AM
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI
seedlings
First cup of Red Sea Blend after 2 days rest. I'm going to give it a couple more days to mature. Plus, today, in a hurry, I grabbed the Stainless Steel travel mug and I think it's giving some of it's own metallicness in the cup that shouldn't be there.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
seedlings
First cup of Red Sea Blend after 2 days rest. I'm going to give it a couple more days to mature. Plus, today, in a hurry, I grabbed the Stainless Steel travel mug and I think it's giving some of it's own metallicness in the cup that shouldn't be there.

CHAD
cfsheridan
CHAD--give that one 4 days. The Yemen in that blend fares better with more rest than 2 days.
smatty1
Guatemalan Oriente DP. Roasted on eve of 4/5.
De-effin-licious!:)
Alas, a bit darker than I wanted and will roast a touch lighter next tiime, but a deep bodied chocolaty/fruity cup. Very Good:)
Ray T
SM Nicaragua Limoncillo - Java Longberry Cultivar, roasted FC in the hottop. Huge beans . Very sweet goes down to easy need to make another pot. Happy Roasting ;)
EddieDove
I am having two cups today from coffees that were roasted to the brink of 2nd crack (but not into 2nd crack) last Sunday (04/05) in the RK Drum.

In cup #1 is the Bali Organic "Blue Krishna" Kintamani - Oh my! What a nicely balanced cup of soft milk chocolate with good body - almost a melted-butter texture.

In cup # 2 is the Brazil Cachoeira "Canario Bourbon" - This is one of my all-time favorite Brazils - sweet chocolates in a velvety body with some aromatics that makes one think cinnamon and a really good, long, satisfying aftertaste.
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/
smatty1
Well....I couldnt wait for day 2 and had to try this Malabar I roasted yesterday!
Awesome! This is gonna be phenomenal in the morning! Sweet, nutty, with a creamy body. Similar to mysore nuggets..... Very nice cup!
GVDub
In my cup this morning I had two shots of homeroast SM Liquid Amber Blend and two shots of Klatch's 2008 USBC Competition Blend (comparing my roast with a really good commercial roast). It was all real good. I've got a blend I roasted Wednesday of Sumatra Lake Toba 19+ Extra Bold (about 20 seconds into second crack) and Guatemalan Huehuetenango Finca San Vincente (cut just before 2nd started) that I'll be pulling tomorrow morning. If I can wait that much longer.
smatty1
Bolivian FTO. After 2 days rest.....Bright and nutty, with a creamy body. Silky mouthfeel and lingering on the tongue/long finish. Definately picks up more character as it cools. Resembles a good kenya on the front end and ends up nothing like a kenya......not sure what:)
Nice cup. A nice break from my usual exotic DP cup.

Edit:
On day 3....Brightness seems to have gotten swallowed up by creaminess! Kenya would be the last thing that would come to mind now. Like drinking milk chocolaty/nutty clouds of creamy fluff!
Edited by smatty1 on 04/17/2009 9:00 AM
Ray T
Panama Boquete Lerida Estate "Miel" from SM. Very creamy, smooth, floral aroma goes perfect on a Califirnia spring day.ThumbsUp
EddieDove
This morning, my wife delivered coffee to the bedside for me. Immediately, I could smell the fruit from the cup. There is booming fruit in the olfactory and on the palate, but I didn't remember roasting any Ethiopian coffees recently, so I went and looked at the label on the jar: Ethiopia Koratie DP, roasted in the RK Drum on 03/28/2009. Brewed in the Technivorm this morning and still booming with berry and melon after 3 1/2 weeks. What a fantastic way to wake up!

What's in your cup?
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/
seedlings
Burundi Bwayi. It only has 12 hours rest, but I couldn't wait for a sip. Winey-chocolate with a nice pop of acidity. I'll give it a couple of days before I try it again... I think it will mature rather nicely!

CHAD
smatty1

EddieDove wrote:
This morning, my wife delivered coffee to the bedside for me. Immediately, I could smell the fruit from the cup. There is booming fruit in the olfactory and on the palate, but I didn't remember roasting any Ethiopian coffees recently, so I went and looked at the label on the jar: Ethiopia Koratie DP, roasted in the RK Drum on 03/28/2009. Brewed in the Technivorm this morning and still booming with berry and melon after 3 1/2 weeks. What a fantastic way to wake up!

What's in your cup?

OMG, Eddie! You dont happen to have some of that you'd like taken off your hands do you??:):) That was the best coffee I've ever tasted and ran out all to quickly:(.......the likes of which we may never see again considering the dire situation in Ethiopia:(
Jump to Forum: