Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What's in your cup?
ginny
Hey Old Seattle:

Happy Birthday, I still have a few years on you, youngster!!

one of my personal favorites he M M.

you really should consider taste testing right away, then the next day and so on!
You may be amazed by what you taste. Let some sit around for a couple of weeks too.

Thanks for joining us OS!

ginnyGrin
ginny
Scott:

Not sure but I will check with S Maria's.

I whined and cried about birthdays and no beans and on into the night so my younger (read only) sister sent me 5 one pound bags of beans along with a 75 dollar gift cert from Sweet Maria's.

My bd is not until Sept 15 so I get some yummy stuff in late July/August.

I am thinking about crying about the Easter Bunny and maybe I can get some chocolate covered, marshmallow bunnies this month! One of my most favorite things. The cheap ones are the best, ya know 6 little bunnies for a buck!!

ginnyGrin
JackH
A nice El Salvador Molino de Santa Rita from a SM sampler pack. Brewed with the Aeropress. Too bad that coffee is now unavailable.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
coffeeroastersclub
Some raw jamaican blue mountain was given to me.ThumbsUp Gonna roast some of it up. I've never had it before so this is a first for me.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln
gene
Hey I'm excited. Drove hour and fifteen minutes Friday to Abington VA. Not much time for a cup before and drove to Zazzy Z's coffee shop. Loved Ollie's Malawi Mapanga roasted to City +. Asked to speak to Ollie and he was in building next door roasting. Had Malawi coming out of roaster and I snapped up three pounds. He also sold me three pounds of green so I could compare my roasts to his.

Had over ten coffees in ton and a half of stock. He will sell to homeroasters. Even tho his price has doubled in past two years price to homeroasters is still $5, Wow, what a guy.

I know you are not supposed to drink two day old coffee but had a cup yesterday afternoon and it blew me away. As I sit here this AM I'm tasting the sweetest fruit I have tasted in awhile.
Life don't get no better than this!
gene
JETROASTER
Guat as a SO espresso? Any thoughts? -Scott
seedlings

freshbeans wrote:
Guat as a SO espresso? Any thoughts? -Scott

I drink it! Yum! In fact I almost always have SO for espresso. All I suggest is that you make sure to hear some second cracklings before dumping.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
JETROASTER
What your stretch between the cracks? -Scott
seedlings

freshbeans wrote:
What your stretch between the cracks? -Scott

Really I don't do anything different than for drip except maybe add :30 or 1:00 of roast time and maybe cool a little slower. What I mean is that I'll shut the heat off while the fan is still on and the bean temp might go up a degree or two then level off and start to come down slow. That up, level, down process takes less than a minute, and then I'll dump to cool. So I kind of let them cruise for a bit past normal end of roast. Stretch between cracks is 4:00 (or more if I'm paying attention). What that means to me is from rolling first crack to first snap of second crack, and this definition may not necessarily be the same as others' definition. (and it may not be optimum, but I'm happy)

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover
ginny
you can drink 10 minute old coffee...

do not worry about tasting right away or 10/12 plus days.

remember you still have the freshest coffee in the world.

Panama Carmen again today about 6 days, still full blown malty and sweet.
this was roasted to full city and maybe one +in my Hot Top on automatic about 17 minutes but I put the beans in while I was heating the machine.

wow, I am always blown away. this was used as a cafe crema in my Solis 5K.

yum, yum and more yum

ginnyShock
dja
drinking some Ethiopian that I got from I belive Roastmasters that I roasted about 4 days ago.
This was the first roast that I have done in the 2 pound weight. And I will have to say the roast even though I thought that it was going to stall has turned out to be a very pleasent cup so far. I let the beans sit for about two days before grinding and brewing.

The cup has a sweet citrusy taste that I haven't been able to put my finger on yet. The beans although they had started to just barely show one or two oil spots when I pulled the plug on the heat and turned the air up to almost max for an in roaster cool down, has really suprised me.

This was a bean that I had started to wonder if I was ever going to get that taste of Africa that I like in the beans from there.

Next bean in the roaster will be some IMN when it arrives.

One thing for sure, the roaster I built still amazes.

DJA
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette
JackH
I had a very successful roast using the last of the Sweet Maria's 8 pound sampler. "Brazil Cerrado DP Fazenda Aurea" is the name and it is very rich and creamy as a pourover. I was careful with the heat and it looks and tastes great.

--Jack
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
ginny
Jack:

you cannot go wrong with the SM Sample packs; they are great.
I am glad you are enjoying them; SM rocks!!

I am surprised youy guys do not drink some of your beans right away.

ginnyShock
ginny
Ya know Scott:

so much of these greens can be so espresso; really depends on the roast.

ginny

all mine get tried as SO Espresso.
next cafe cremas with cream and sugar sometimes.
oldgearhead
This week its 'Huey Hawm' (nuts and exotic woods), roasted FC-, from:
Mai Thai Coffee, blended with 'Gayo Lintang', roasted FC, (wine), from Peter at GBBC.

The ratio is 3:1. Blended in the grinder and drip brewed.
Awwww!
No oil on my beans...
ginny
the remainder of my Gualemala Huehuetenango - Finca La Providencia Dos,

mild cup with a bit of a blackberry finish!

Full C+ on this 1/2 pound.
jfrescki
Papua New Guinea Baroida Plantation. DP coffee, city - city+. Pulled out the french press this morning, and.....wow....tons of fruit and spice. it's too late now for a cup if I want to sleep, but looking forward to the morning.
ginny
jf:

sounds like a really tasty cup. thanks for the post.

ginnyGrin
dja
the same Ethiopian and Indian Mysore Nuggets, flavor is getting better this morning I made it about half way across the back yard and its like darn that's some good beans.

Hello Caffeine World
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette
Third Crack
Yemen Mocha Harazi. Never roasted a Yemen bean and this was a bit of an adventure. The bean was quite small (screen 14?) and I wasn't sure of the roast profile. I used my standard SHB profile on my Gene Cafe which has been super reliable on a wide variety of SHB beans. My normal roast time to City+ is about 13-13-1/2 minutes. I wanted to go to FC with this bean. The later part of the roast was extremely fast and I blew through 1C without hearing and was full into 2C before I knew what was going on. The total roast time to around FC+ was 13 minutes. So the small bean had an effect. On the recommendation of John I let these rest 5 days. The result is excellent. Big body and velvety mouthfeel, exotic and I still get some fruit even at this roast level. I expect it will improve further over the next few days. I will try adjusting the profile and bring it to FC (under better control) next time as a comparison. Highly recommended...available at Roast Masters (at a very high price unfortunately). Bob
Technivorm, Chemex, Coava Kone, Compak K-3 Touch, Gene Cafe
Jump to Forum: