Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What's in your cup?
wsikes

ginny wrote:
wsikes:

how are you preparing/drinking your roasted coffee?

gShock

Well, I certainly can't pretend to be a coffee snob... I am a mere mortal noobie who roasts coffee in a popcorn popper, grinds it in a cheap burr mill, and brews it in a common drip brewer.
Am I to be shot at dawn?

Unta

wsikes wrote:

ginny wrote:
wsikes:

how are you preparing/drinking your roasted coffee?

gShock

Well, I certainly can't pretend to be a coffee snob... I am a mere mortal noobie who roasts coffee in a popcorn popper, grinds it in a cheap burr mill, and brews it in a common drip brewer.
Am I to be shot at dawn?

Only if your talking about shots of espresso :) ...Welcome to the fray. glad to have ya aboard. I think Ginny was more curious then anything else.
Sean Harrington
educate.

ginny
wsikes:

no shame or shooting for any way you roast or prepare I was simply curious about how you liked to brew - drip or French Press, just wondered ...

I cannot get my older brother, the Marine, or my older sister in law to drink my
fresh roasted regardless of how I prepare it - they both think Folgers Rules!

a very warm welcome and I can clearly state that our members are ready and
willing to help you out.

Maybe get a sample pack from Sweet Maria so you can test/try several different
coffees.

ginnyGrin

wsikes
Ginny,
I am sorry for being so defensive... I just started roasting and have been following several forums for several weeks now and it seems that there are a lot of folks out there using poppers to roast but very few of them are posting. It almost seems if they are a "subclass" among the more experienced roasters... and maybe they (we) are... I don't know. All I know is I am enjoying this new hobby and am taking baby steps to improve my brew.
I am currently roasting/brewing from a SM sample pack but have also acquired some other beans from El Salvador and Colombia which I will roasting after I work my way through my samples.
The biggest problem I have run up against is the amoung of ground coffee to put in my drip brewer but I am getting very close to getting it to my taste... working both with volume and grind. This morning's Sumatra tastes much better than what I was drinking a couple of days ago... still tweaking... I guess I will always be "tweaking."
Thanks for the welcome and if I get too noisy just tell me to hush.
Bill

JETROASTER
wsikes,
Welcome to the fray. I can't speak to the other boards, but people are helpful and nice around here.
No sub-classes either. I also think popper roasters are cranking out great coffee, and in some cases, these folks are really pushing our understanding forward... 3 oz at a time.
The tweaking never ends...have fun! -Scott

wsikes
Thanks much Scott...

ginny
Hey dude:

I agree with Scott, here is/are no sub-classes around here. we have a whole popper section.

lot's of people use several different types of roasters store bought and made in the garage type. I still use a popper as well as an old Fresh Roast I was given in 2003.

you will get tons-o-help here for whatever you use. Feel free to simply post away. Some of us will send you links to another thread for a specific query you may make since there is most likely a large section about it with many more answers for you...

enjoy, your adventure is just beginning!!

ginnyGrin

wsikes

ginny wrote:
Hey dude:

I agree with Scott, here is/are no sub-classes around here. we have a whole popper section.

lot's of people use several different types of roasters store bought and made in the garage type. I still use a popper as well as an old Fresh Roast I was given in 2003.

you will get tons-o-help here for whatever you use. Feel free to simply post away. Some of us will send you links to another thread for a specific query you may make since there is most likely a large section about it with many more answers for you...

enjoy, your adventure is just beginning!!

ginnyGrin

Thanks Ginny... going outside to roast some Brazil... catch you later.
Bill

yantacaw

ginny wrote:
CHAD:

my first batch was FC plus a bit; not to FC plus rolling 2nd crack since in the HotTop these would have been way too black and on the edge of not drinkable since at times i do not sit on the machine...

this bean is one of my favorites. cannot thank you enough for getting these as
a member option purchase.

very cool.

I prefer the darker with most beans but especially these May Nuggets!

great plain old cup but wonderful cafe crema and as a SO espresso for those who like to be a bit edgy!!

thanks again,

gGrin

hi everyone,
newish around here though been a wallflower for awhile. i'll third the mysore nuggets. i'm still finishing my 2010 crop and will go in for some of the 2011 soon (hope it's as good). i must confess that this is a bean that this strikes me as a very particular bean but when that sweet spot is hit, it is a nice smooth drinker peppered with a lovely array of spice notes. i have always found that this one does best after 5 days rest.

oh, and i should mention that i really did not take to this right out the gate. third roasts a charm.
Edited by yantacaw on 10/15/2011 7:32 PM

wsikes
I finally finished the 1# bag of Sumatra yesterday and am sitting here drinking a nice cup of Brazilian. I was reading on the SM website last night when I read where Tom was saying his wife Maria simply will not drink Sumatran coffee.
Thank you Maria... I am not alone in this old world after all.
We all have different preferences... can't wait to get into my Central American beans.
Bill :)

JackH

wsikes wrote:
I finally finished the 1# bag of Sumatra yesterday and am sitting here drinking a nice cup of Brazilian. I was reading on the SM website last night when I read where Tom was saying his wife Maria simply will not drink Sumatran coffee.
We all have different preferences... can't wait to get into my Central American beans.

Bill, I tried that Brazil in a sampler pack and was very pleased. I hit on a nice sweet cup. I bought more and tried to duplicate what I did but got a very nutty flavor. Maybe too long drying time to 300F.

--Jack
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

wsikes

JHan816 wrote:

wsikes wrote:

Bill, I tried that Brazil in a sampler pack and was very pleased. I hit on a nice sweet cup. I bought more and tried to duplicate what I did but got a very nutty flavor. Maybe too long drying time to 300F.

--Jack

I am pleased with the Brazil sample from SM also... looking forward to the Honduras I roasted a couple of days ago... looking for the one I like best. I also have some Columbia, El Salvador, and Ethiopia I want to try after this.

hokies1999
Today's brew is Guatemala Finca Agua Tibia from 2010 crop. Roasted yesterday in the rk drum using Les's cinnamon profile. My be a bit bright being one day out of the roaster...

Kevin:trink29:
burnin' coffee

ginny
a Jet Fuel pod for the Kuerig. I forgot to roast. I may as well have had soaked cardboard. Horrid, like totally NO TASTE. How can people drink this stuff?

I swear 7 - 11 is better.

ginnyGrin

oldgearhead
Well, I love Sumatra coffee, but I'm taking a break from it this week.
Drinking: Brazil Sul de Minas, Organic, Pulped Natural, from peter at GCBC..humm 'baker's Chocolate'
No oil on my beans...

hokies1999
Guatemala Finca Agua Tibia 2010 crop roasted on the rk drum using Les's cinnamon roast profile brewed in a French press. Liquid heaven! Seriously good coffee!
burnin' coffee

seedlings
Ethiopian Harrar 13:00 to 425F City roast. High blackberry - blueberry notes, bittersweet dark caramelized sugar, toasted whole wheat bread, lingering full-bodied finish with blueberries on the palate. I call it berry cobbler.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

JETROASTER
Ethiopian A-La-Chad. 425. Snuck up on me at the end. I may slow things down a bit next time.
A little darker than I was shooting for, but still a bit of berry. Very nice.
-Scott

JackH
Enjoying a nice cup of Honduras FTO cafe alteza. Nothing fancy, great taste and a good morning cup.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

BenGeldreich
I am working through a roast of Java Kopi Sunda.

Ben
--------

Ben

Turbo Oven Roaster w/ Variac, TC4Cw/ Bourbon | Bezzera Strega | Baratza Vario Grinder | Yama 5 Cup Syphon | Aeropress

kgraham
Roasted again today some Hacienda La Minita. This bean is good stuff. Mexican Chiapas last week and also some Kona from a small farm in Hawaii. The La Manita and Chiapas were bought at The Coffee Project. Getting ready to get a Gene Cafe so I can also do some extended roasting and control time and temp as I see fit. :smileycoffee:

seedlings
Harrar again... this time a melange of two roasts- first roast slow, 15:00 to 426F finish. Second roast fast, 12:00 to 426F finish. This ended up replacing the berry with more of a floral honeysuckle/lilac kind of vibe. Throw in just a hint of Heath bar over the top of solid "good cup of coffee flavor" and that's it. I like the slow 15:00 426F roast better.

CHAD

JackH

seedlings wrote:
Harrar again... this time a melange of two roasts- first roast slow, 15:00 to 426F finish. Second roast fast, 12:00 to 426F finish. This ended up replacing the berry with more of a floral honeysuckle/lilac kind of vibe. Throw in just a hint of Heath bar over the top of solid "good cup of coffee flavor" and that's it. I like the slow 15:00 426F roast better.

CHAD

Chad, do find the slower roasts in general to have a more nuttier and less berry flavor?
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

dja
India Mysore Nuggets

I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette

seedlings

JHan816 wrote:

Chad, do find the slower roasts in general to have a more nuttier and less berry flavor?

Well, it depends on where you slow it down. For this bean I like to slow down the drying stage so there's "just enough" moisture to get to first crack. So I'm crossing the 300F bean temp mark around 4:00-4:30 but there is a risk of getting tea-like flat flavors if you go too long. From 300F to 400F, in vague generalities, slowing down gives nuttiness/reduced acidity and speeding up does the opposite, and I rarely intentionally take the slow lane here. From first crack on it's always slow, slow, slow, slow, without ever letting the beans drop in temperature. Finish this one light 426F for me.

I have a profile that works well for this Harrar. I'll try and remember to post it when I get home.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 11/29/2011 3:21 PM

Jump to Forum: