Homeroasters - Home Roasting Coffee Community » HOMEROASTER USER GROUPS (HUGS) » South HUGS
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
GA HUG 9
David
There will be a meeting of Atlanta and Georgia homeroasters in the next few weeks. I am checking out some tentative dates and will post the time, date, and place very soon.
David

grinndel98 wrote: I can possibly go on that sunday. Would you want me to bring my redkeck roatery roaster? If so,,,,,, What else should I bring? May I bring one quest? It sounds doable if the guest is invited also.

We'd love to have you, your roaster, and any number of guests.
H)
There will be show'n'tell for home roasting equipment, a roasting demo, as well as a lot of excellent espresso.
grinndel98
sorry I was so adamant about inviting a guest....... I just feel more secure having my wife or friend go with me.
My rotary roaster putts out a lot of chaff, so, its messy! Be Forewarned!

my email is grinndel98 at yahoo dot com
Edited by grinndel98 on 08/04/2008 10:17 PM
evanherik
Excellent!
Regards,

Ed Van Herik
David
I have had responses from a few people, but not enough can come on the 17th to make it worthwhile. So, we'll be looking at a date in September.
David
OK, here we go. The HUGS 9 is on for September 21st at 3pm.

We will be at the home of Bob Roseman again. That means gourmet food and wonderful hospitality which is not to be missed.

Please indicate your interest here or PM me.

David
David
HURRAY! We are at a dozen committed folks and another 4-5 maybe's.
There is plenty of room for more. Come and bring a guest.

Send me a note if you'd like a map an directions.

David
bvwelch
Sounds like fun! If gas prices weren't so high, and it wasn't on a Sunday, some of us in Alabama might be tempted to crash the party!

Maybe next year.

-bill

David
Sorry to add to the temptation, Bill...but

In addition to the gourmet food that we always have at Bob's home, we now have another special treat: the fine folks at Counter Culture Coffee will be conducting a coffee cupping for us.
Come early [3pm] to be a part of this. Grin

David
David
17 adults and 3 kids! One person drove two hours and another an hour and a half to join us. A very fine turnout for nice breezy early fall afternoon. The food was plentiful and delicious, of course.

David Lamont of Counter Culture Coffee led us through the steps of a cupping using three CCC coffees and three home-roasted coffees. Two of the three CCC coffees were from the same farm in El Salvador, but with different prep. The first was the usual wet-processed variety. The second involved letting the cherries go past full ripeness to the point of drying on the trees before harvesting. They are then "hulled." These beans from this microlot were termed "pasa" -- which in this context means "raisin." To me the flavor was much more complex and intense, and it had a bit of a rustic finish.

Two of the three home-roasted coffees were the same Nicaragua beans, but roasted with different profiles in WesT's split-wired popper. For the second of these two roasts, WesT turned down the fan speed to see if he could get some of the tastes of a drum roast. I like the original one at first, but as they cooled I thought the second [low fan speed] coffee became much more interesting and flavorful.

The third home-roast was the notorious India Anohki Liberica brought by evanherik. Whoa! That was pretty unique: "blueberry barnyard" seemed to be the common experience. Blueberries at the beginning and, well, the finish was quite different. The glorious positive notes of blueberry were almost canceled out by the finish, but not entirely. Several people went back to taste it more than once. One fellow, a serious geek who shall remain anonymous, really liked it...wanted to take some home. ?! ;)

There were two roasting demonstrations, including one with Thomzilla's new Behmor. It was certainly a nice roasting appliance, but it is definitely not plug-and-play. We could tell by Thom's fiddling with it throughout the roast that each bean type would have to be "dialed in." We only had time for once through, so we could not see the whole process, but it looked like it could be done quite easily.

Next was the espresso lessons and some latte art. CCC's Espresso Tuscano blend was remarkably smooth, nutty and chocolate-y. It's easy to gone on and on about the latte art, but suffice it to say that there were lots of Oooh's and Aaah's.

Thanks, Bob and Libby Roseman, for hosting another fine meeting. And special thanks to Debbie Roseman for the fine, fine food.

Stay tuned for GA HUGS 10.
Jump to Forum: