1st and beyond initial ROASTS...
texh
hello
so i finally did my first roast...
method: stovetop wok with whisk
Beans: colombian superemo
weight: around 50g
duration: 19mins 30sec
roast level: idk maybe some beans city plus some beans vienna..
1st Crack: 14m 25sec
2nd Crack: 18mins 58secs (i think)
Lesson Learnt: Never to roast coffee in bad lightening

ok so today i tried to roast my beans for the first time.. was wayy too excited.. had all the things needed in one place and preheated the wok... i used low heat so that i dont burn my beans.. and after watching alotttt of stovetop roasting videos i had an estimate of having 2nd crack by 9~mins since my quantity was v.less
but after 12.5mins i dint hear any crack i cranked the heat abit to about medium and in 2 mins i hear 1st crack.. from there it was confusing as there were big aps between cracks so couldnt say when exactly was my 2nd crack...
by 17 min mark i turned on my stove head light for better view and to my amaze they are abit moree darker than i was thinking they were in low light.. but i kept roasting as i needed to hit 2nd crack..when i was sure this is defo a 2nd crack i waited about 20 secs and rapidly cooled the beans...
just to be clear.. i was agitating beans non stop for the whole process...
so let me know your thought on this and what level roast is this exactly and if any advice please share.. im posting my roast pics

i.imgur.com/nikiyVj.jpg

i.imgur.com/90hDnmP.jpg

i.imgur.com/88z3c8X.jpg

i.imgur.com/mCOAm0I.jpg
Edited by ginny on 09/14/2016 9:05 AM

ginny
Texh:

not sure what the last photo is, perhaps explain.

your photo of black beans is way beyond a Spanish Roast and I would not brew it.

not hearing the cracks is not as important as the look and feel. you can roast by not hearing cracks as the color will tell you where your roast is and I think if you simply
roast anther batch and watch the color and stop most likely half way from your earlier, posted roast, you will have a winner.

roasting in a wok, open fire is a challenge as your control is limited to heat for the most part and your manipulation of the beans.

do not give up and keep your fire down a bit.

ginny

bbq

snwcmpr
+1

Don't give up.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

texh

ginny wrote:

Texh:

not sure what the last photo is, perhaps explain.

your photo of black beans is way beyond a Spanish Roast and I would not brew it.

grinny..
the last photo is with flash on so its giving false pic..
its same as second last picture where i stoped n rightaway cooled..
so based on second last picture is it okay roast?

texh
hey all
so its my 2nd roast.. and from what i learnt from my 1st roast was to use better ligthening so i made this batch in the morning and also last time i used a wok that made this really hot on the surface even on a low flame so this time i used a deep unstick pan with a whisk..

Method: Stovetop unstick Pan with a Whisk
Beans: Ethopia Sidamo
Weight: 50g~
flame: low
Duration: 36mins~
Roast level: not sure.. please you guys tell me? full city?
1st Crack: i heard one on 18mins than heard a few at 33mins
My 1st Roast Thread: http://forum.homeroasters.org/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=13&thread_id=5097

so i decided to try to roast these on low flame and use something besides a wok..
i knew as i read somewhere that ethopian origins get late 1st crack but i was really confused why i havnt reached 1st crack by 33min... i thut maybe i have skiped 1C but i couldnt as i was roasting in a quite envirnment and was keep close eye on the process and the bean colour was also not dark..
by 29min mark i think i raised the flames and cont constant stirring...
at 33min mark i got a crack and it was very few of them and with soem distancce till 35mins and some secs.. i kept on flame for 30more secs and cooled it rightaway..
the bean size isnt as big as i have seem on youtube but there was no burns or anything..
please check the pic below and comment/advice

i.imgur.com/B0uskYQ.jpg

thanks
Edited by ginny on 09/11/2016 7:48 AM

turtle
To my eyes it appears a combination between cinnamon and city (little uneven)

If they are hard to grind they are under roasted.

I've never roasted in a pan but a suggestion based on other roasting methods I am familiar with, try starting with a hotter pan to shorten your drying time, then bring the temp down when you start to see cinnamon color.

With a pan you only have heat so you need to work your heat without any fan.

36 minutes seems like a long roast time but since I have no experience with pan roasting it might be just fine.

Edited by ginny on 09/11/2016 7:47 AM
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

texh
My 3rd Roast!
Method: stovvetop silver fry pan with whisk
beans: Nicoragua
weight: 50gm~
Duration: 15mins30secs
1C: 5:30mins
2C: 10:20min
flame: started with preheated pan and high flame.. turn down during roasting

this roast seems much more even to me and still have that golden crust in most of the beans..
check the pic and comment/advice

i.imgur.com/OmPWjdz.jpg

thanks

ChicagoJohn
I'm not at all familiar with pan roasting so I have no way of judging how uniform results can be. While there is some variation in your sample, I like the levels of color I see and, after allowing it to stand a few days, I would suggest grinding and brewing a couple of cups to see what you think of the aroma and flavor in terms of acidity, sweetness, any burnt characteristics, complexity, finish, and so on. In the end, for me anyway, that is the final criterion of which bean appearance is but a possible indicator. There are many ways to brew just a cup at a time for evaluation. As turtle said, if you're hand grinding with a conical burr mill especially, you'll be able to discern a difference in how much torque it takes to crush the beans as you turn the handle. When they approach or get into second crack, they crumble very easily in the grinder. When they are early in first crack, they have a lot more compressive strength and will tend to stop the grinder until you really crank it hard. I like a broad spectrum of flavors and I like to experiment with blending, so the range of color in the beans in your picture could be a good thing in that regard. The key thing, I think, is how you like the coffee.
So many beans; so little time....

texh
i did tried 1st two roast in moka and blended both in a french press..
moka gave me better result while 4min brew of french press gave me light taste...
im still waiting for a conical hand grinder to ship so im using a blender(i know it sucks) to be honest i cant tell the taste as they advertise on green beans details like it will taste chocolaty or hazenut etc flavour..
but i guess it could be my grinding process or could be because i have grinded them after 1 day of roast.
ill test out my 3rd roast tmrw..

JSA Coffee
If you can, got to a Goodwill, or thrift store,and pick up an old wok or baking pan. Then put that on top of you heat, and your wok with beans on that. It should give you a more even heat to work on. Keep the beans moving like you were sauteing expensive mushrooms.

At this point in your timeline, the blender isn't important for your coffee. That will come later. Keep at it!

walt_in_hawaii
texh, listen to JSA Coffee. You are probably having a hard time because the wok is designed for a certain type of cooking. The center is supposed to get very hot and the sides, cooler. Chinese like it like that, they have an active center for cooking at high heat, and move stuff off to the side after its done. It's not just a big bowl. But it IS supposed to be very thin, which makes it hard if what you need is even heat. If I were you I would switch to any old pan, the heavier the better, to try to get an even heat across the cooking surface. Your beans look like your heat is uneven, or you aren't stirring enough. But if your roasts are taking a half hour, who can blame you! That's a lot of stirring!! I would aim for a first crack within the first 10 minutes (use more heat if it's taking longer than that).

But hey, you're doing great! The HARDEST part about roasting coffee is... getting motivated enough to just get started and doing it. As you learn, you'll get better. Don't give up.

texh

JSA Coffee wrote:

If you can, got to a Goodwill, or thrift store,and pick up an old wok or baking pan. Then put that on top of you heat, and your wok with beans on that. It should give you a more even heat to work on. Keep the beans moving like you were sauteing expensive mushrooms.
!

i did tried on wok on my first roast.. u can check my first post.. if ur saying something eles than kindly please elaborate more clearly...
my 3rd roast is more even...

i did non stop stirring with a whisk...

JSA Coffee
I am suggesting you use something like a cookie sheet, or another wok to roast over. You put the cookie sheet over the heat to dissipate the heat more evenly. It helps to eliminate hot spots, which helps reduce uneven roasts.

You are working with a very narrow band of temperature when roasting, keeping an even temperature is important.

snwcmpr
texh, where are you? What country?

Question:
People suggesting a cookie sheet. Have you actually used one?
I imagine it very difficult to keep the beans moving and flipping with a large, flat, shallow edged, area to use. A skillet might be a more manageable method. I actually tried a skillet when I started. I found that difficult enough to get an even roast. The beans did not want to flip. I browned one side of most of them before I could brown the other side. That was when I got the popper.

I think the wok may work for the movement and flipping. But, I don't have one.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

JSA Coffee
I wasn't suggesting roasting the beans on a cookie sheet.
1. Start heat.
2. Place cookie sheet or other non flamible heat dissipating metal on heat source.
3. Put beans in wok or pan that can provide even heat.
4. Roast beans.

The whole point is to provide even heat. It would be difficult at best to roast in a cookie sheet.

ChicagoJohn
A couple of thoughts regarding evenness of heating. I've never used anything but a popcorn popper, but imagining what's happening in a drum roaster, as it turns over the heat source, I'm thinking it is tending to heat fairly uniformly.

Steel, and especially stainless steel, has a quite low thermal conductivity -- around 20 W/m?C. Aluminum, by contrast, is 8 times higher and copper is like 3 times higher in thermal conductivity than that. This is why you will see stainless pots and pans with aluminum bottoms or copper clad -- so the bottom of the pan doesn't develop dramatic temperature gradients over a gas flame, for example.

So if you were able to find an aluminum bowl to stir the beans in, you might be better off than using a steel bowl for that reason. Also moving the container on and off the heat source will allow more time for heat to distribute itself as elevated temperature throughout the metal -- like what happens when the drum turns in a drum roaster.

Another thought is that the beans themselves will pick up heat mainly from direct contact from the metal and to a lesser extent with their contact with other beans that are hotter than they are, and since they are rounded, the actual areas of contact are quite small.

With that in mind, I would think that constant motion of the beans is very important in this type of contact heating. When the beans are surrounded by hot air they are going to heat more evenly, but moving them quickly enough obviously will work since that's heating via conduction is the main mode in a drum roaster, I would think.

Anyway, that's what I thought of reading this thread. Keep trying, as someone said.

texh
My 4th Roast!

method: Charcoal portalble grill with heavier wok and whisk
Beans: Sumatra Mendhling
weight: 70gm~
duration: i dint count this one so around 11 mins
roast level: i think FC+

so i tried to change every aspect of roasting to see the result.. i increased weight, used beans that are better off darker, instead of stovetop i used portable small grill because of which I DINT HAD HEAT CONTROL WHATSOEVER.. i used heavier wok and different whisk what was pretty entangled help me stir much better.. i started off in a hurry so forgot to time it but it was around 11 mins process with approc 6min for 1C...

i.imgur.com/fyvy5iU.jpg

open image in new tab will give u better view
again... comments/advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!
Edited by texh on 09/14/2016 12:51 AM

texh
My 5th n final roast

method: stovetop
Beans: Guatemala
weight: 75gm~
duration:12mins
1Crack: 8:30min
2Crack: 11:25min
Roast level: i think FC

so i had a pretty decend 4th roast so i tried to apply all those news changes for my 5th roast but instead of charcoal grill i used stovetop again..
it was abit more uneven than 4th roast but i could hear proper 1C andwith constant stirring i did got somewhat even roast with about 10% tipping on medial side because maybe the beans with broader flat surface dint turn over even with alot of stirring...
anywho posting my 5th roast pic.. comment/advice is as always appreciated!

i.imgur.com/2A1qJdB.jpg

thanks!

ChicagoJohn
Well, you seem to have gotten them roasted. My opinion is that while color and appearance is an indicator of quality, especially after a definite, repeatable process has been established, it is not necessarily the determinant.

As we know, many factors affect the outcome; green beans, roasting method and profile, storage after roasting, grinding, brewing, and who is drinking the coffee and under what conditions. I'd suggest that using a given method of grinding and brewing, whatever that may be, you try to make some comparisons involving aroma, taste, and flavor differences, noting what you like more and what you may not like as much.

That's more or less the process I've been going through anyway. But however you decide to proceed, I think the key thing is that an hour of actually doing it is worth a month of just thinking and reading about it. If you keep at it, you will be assured of making progress in obtaining a result you like much better than your previous coffee drinking experience.

texh
looking back at my initial roast i used to think they are soo good now i see them and only see diaster.. anywho i have learned alot in my 20 somehting roast i did and from stovetop WOK to stovetop direct fire roasting i finally up my game and bought a heatgun 1500W.. thou i had abit trouble during the process like i forgot to take a cloth with me etc still the roast i did camout pretty well

i did about 60gm of Guat... 5mins on low heat making them yellow to v.light brown and about 3 or 4 mins of high heat till end of 1C..
here is the result.. check the pic and comment/advice

i.imgur.com/zqWudwx.jpg

the only reason for upgrade was to get muuch even roast and less effort/roast... still im in initial phase of learning with heatgun ill defo get better on this..

P.S can anyone tell me how to cool heatgun metal nozzle faster? it remains hot for 10-15mins...

texh
finally did a really nice roast with nicagragua...
11.10min total time, 60gm batch..
first crack 8.30mins stoped roast at start of 2C

i.imgur.com/ntRCSFw.jpg
image is abit brighter than real thing

ChicagoJohn
Looks real nice to me, texh! How's it taste to you?

texh

ChicagoJohn wrote:

Looks real nice to me, texh! How's it taste to you?

thanks!

i havnt tasted it yet.. still waiting for 2 days degassing period to be over..

i feel like i have learned a thing or two about roasting coffee beans.. :)

ChicagoJohn

i havnt tasted it yet.. still waiting for 2 days degassing period to be over..

i feel like i have learned a thing or two about roasting coffee beans.. :)

A thing or three, four, or five, I'd say! Good goin'. Success always tastes sweet ThumbsUp

texh

ChicagoJohn wrote:
Success always tastes sweet ThumbsUp

thanks man...

so i tried about 2 days later.. tasted abit heavy on the body with chocolaty taste.. thou i dont have really good palates so telling specific taste profile is something i wont be able to do...

Jump to Forum: