End roast & colander cool 16:45
Roasted weight 190g
Moisture/weight loss 16%
Roast level City +

Brewed in the Yama vac pot, Cory Rod filter
Ground course Zassenhaus knee mill
42g of coffee to 5 Yama cups of water.
2 minutes in the top bowl and cooled

This is one of those occasions, I feel I've found the perfect cup of coffee. I don't want this cup to end. Brewed the first day after roasting, I felt this was going to be a batch to look forward to in a few more days. And a few days later, I'm even more pleased.

If I could roast this one just like this for the rest of my life, there would be no need for other coffees. Well, for today anyway; I might feel the same way about tomorrow's brew of something different.

This cup is a little unusual to me. It's got great, creamy body and mouthfeel for a wet processed coffee. It feels like a dry process coffee.

The aromatics of the wet grounds in the top bowl are chocolate with a hint of orange. Once all the water was below in the pot, the aroma hinted more at bittersweet chocolate - sort of a pinch in the nose.

Hot out of the pot, the chocolate is present, but as it cools, orange grows and the cup evolves into a gold foil wrapped chocolate orange. The gentle, but big flavors and aromas are wonderful and this is definitely a wet processed coffee. It's not a terribly complex cup, but what's here is certainly choice.

It's pretty nice to feel like I truly nailed a roast. This is an amazing cup of coffee. After a quick check, it seems Sweet Maria's is out, so I'll just come back here to read this once I'm out.

I hope next year's batch is as good.

This coffee is not named as such for the flavor but the color of the bean at full ripeness.
Edited by John Despres on 03/26/2009 11:06 AM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Marshall_S
Hi John:

Wow! Very happy for you - I know the feeling when everything comes together.

I very much appreciate the post - Even though I've been home roasting for a couple years, I acquired a Gene Cafe last week and I'm just starting the learning curve.

I happen to have these greens from SM and cannot wait to try your profile this weekend! Thanks for sharing- I'll post my results in a few days-

Marshall
Edited by Marshall_S on 03/26/2009 9:22 AM

John Despres
Marshal, you're going to love your new roaster. What were you using before?

Mine heats up rather slowly, it reaches 482F in about 7.5 minutes or so empty, which is slow. Therefore my profiling is based on the onset of first crack. Once I hear the first outliers of first, I get cracking and choose the times you see on my profile. In other words, if first had occurred at 11:45, everything else would be back a minute as well.

I just noticed a mistake in my profile above - I bumped to 476F at 4 minutes, not 5 minutes and I've corrected it above.

Have fun, & don't forget to report back. We're all curious.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

EddieDove
Marshall,

Thank you so much for joining us and please do let us know your results. John is an excellent mentor when it comes to the Gene Cafe; he has a LOT of practical experience and the willingness to share freely! I thoroughly enjoy being challenged by and learning from him. The the home-roasting community and Homeroasters.org is better for him being part of it; no doubt we are better for you being here as well!

Thank you for this post, John; it brings back memories!

Coffees from El Salvador are some of my most-cherished favorites and the Orange Bourbon Cultivar is one of my favorites from El Salvador. My most memorable cup of the El Salvador Orange Bourbon Cultivar was courtesy of a roasted-coffee gift from John Despres himself, which ended an otherwise grueling day on a high note and prompted a phone call to Mr. Despres to thank him personally; I do remember that day and that cup.

John's notes on the characteristics of this coffee are spot on for when it is roasted to perfection. The creaminess John describes with the crisp clear notes presented in the nose and palate (characteristic of WPs) makes this cup engaging and it will have your undivided attention without you realizing it. It is a delightful cup!

I was trying to decide which coffees to roast this weekend and I believe I have another 2.5 pounds of this one.

Thank you again brother, John!
Edited by EddieDove on 03/26/2009 12:00 PM
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/

gene
Darn it John. Just placed another SM order Monday and looked right over ES Orange. Guess the word Orange threw me.
Had to try the new Eth Birbissa and Sulawesi Toarco.... with old standby Brazil Moreninha Formosa Raisin Coffee MicroLot because of lack of citrus, low acidity and Chocolate.
Trying to stay away from bright, but?

Interesting profile above on El Sal Orange....One point: From your roast profile,

"Outlier at 12:28
1st crack at 12:45"

Assume one or two small cracks at 12:28 and main crack beginning at 12:45.

And another assumption, from your profile, this is a relatively soft bean? No?

Thanks John, still working on learning the subtleties of roasting. You are a great case study!(grin).

gene

PS: Glad Marshal has a GC. Can't wait for him to publish some of his results. That is what makes the art of roasting so much fun....having people like John to pick on(and more importantly to pick from).

John Despres
Dang, re-reading this makes me want to brew another pot this afternoon, but I have a Yemen, I'm tracking through rest, so it'll be a pot of Sharasi.

Thank you for those most kind words, Eddie. I too, remember the call. That was the first roast I ever sent out and to tell the truth, I was a little nervous sending it.

Eddie mentored me through my early days of roasting with the Gene Cafe and got me off to a good start without any total failures with the GC. To this day, I still look at notes from our discussions. I always find reason to look back. The learning starts over and over with each bean I drop into the drum. And I know a phone call with a question will always get me something new to think about from Eddie. To my friend Eddie - Thank YOU!

This particular bean is graded SHB (strictly hard bean) and not soft at all.

If my roaster heated up faster, I'd profile much differently. I cut the warming/drying phase for this roast a minute earlier than most of the time, because at the slow rate of temp rise, I didn't want the beans wallowing that low for too long. I vary with warming/drying phases. Sometimes I don't use 'em, other times I do. Why? Just studying the bean. I play with all variables as much as possible. But only one at a time. Still learning. I know I'm not likely to tamper with the profile above, though. I'm very happy with it.

Yes, the main roll of first came at 12:45. I consider first crack officially begun when I get three or four snaps in rapid succession. I have no idea if this is a correct assessment or not, but I may have read it somewhere. Sometimes the gap between outliers and first is a few seconds.

Thanks for the questions! Keep 'em coming. I learn more every time I think about them.

And now, off to my Yemen Mokha Sharasi.

John

Respect the bean.
John Despres

Marshall_S

Thanks to both of you for the warm welcome.

Even though I've been drinking coffee for a good 40 years (you can do the math on my age..) I caught the coffeegeek bug a couple years ago. I think like a lot of people, I needed to cut down my intake and, in turn, decided to improve the quality of what I was drinking (you know.. quality vs. quantity).

Anyhow, after buying some basic equipment I started home roasting with the usual popcorn poppers (Poppery I and II) progressed to a FreshRoast with Variac/Kill-O-Watt, went on to a heat gun, went on to the Behmor when it first came out and just last week graduated to the Gene

I tend to roast mainly for myself so I'm definitely a low quantity roaster (a pound or so a week) but I really love it.

I've only had the Gene a week, I've turned out some good roasts right out of the box thanks to all of you. Believe me.. having profiles from experienced roasters is very much appreciated!
Edited by Marshall_S on 03/27/2009 7:12 AM

Clifford
I have put this on my "To Buy" list. I want to try blrnds consisting of the bourbon cultivar from different regions. I like the Rwanda as a morning cup so i want to experiment I will also put Guatemala bourbon on as well.

I am having more fun than a human being should be allowed Shock
May the Force be with your cup

Marshall_S
Hey John:

Maybe this is the way it is supposed to work (I've only had the Gene a little more than a week).

I set my Variac/Kill-O-Watt so that it drew down to about 118 during the roast, preheated the Gene for a few minutes @300 and followed your profile to a "T".

I am not kidding.. first Crack came at 12:45!!! This is awesome!

I think I came really close to getting your roast -

And now I have to wait 5 days!!! Heck, I can barely wait until the AM to check out this nirvana bean.

Anyhow, I'll let you know how it tastes.

BTW, I used the same profile for a couple of other roasts, shooting for City+ or Full City and they look and smell real good.. Thanks for the roadmap.
Marshall_S attached the following image:
_mg_2546-2.jpg

Edited by Marshall_S on 03/27/2009 8:52 PM

Clifford
Your beans look contented, happy, and ready to give you joy
May the Force be with your cup

John Despres
Congratulations, Marshall! I'm happy to help. The Gene Cafe will bring you hours and hours of fun.

I drank the last of my El Salvador Orange Bourbon yesterday and am missing it terribly. Be patient. You'll be rewarded.

John
Edited by John Despres on 03/28/2009 7:56 AM
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Jump to Forum: