Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Caffe Rosto Roaster -Help!
major4579
First: I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for this post, if not, my apologies - let me know and I'll move or delete it as required.

Here's a bit of blast from the past. The Caffe Rosto has been out of production for a long time, but I've been roasting on my modded Rosto since 2005 (maybe earlier). As parts break I've been able to replace them from my collection of old Rostos and parts I've acquired along the way.

But I've finally come to an issue were I don't have a replacement and I will have to retire my trusty Rosto unless I can find the part. I need a fan blade as my last one self destructed. Odds are no one has a fRosto fan blade kicking around but if anyone does or if you have a complete unit I would be very interested in acquiring it.

Thank you.
John

renatoa
From the roaster diagram shown here:

https://legacy.sw...iagram.jpg

looks it is similar to a turbo oven fan blade, is this right ?

http://andybrown....w/fan1.jpg

If true, and size match, they can be found.

If size is different, there is still hope... I am pretty confident... with some skills it can be done fully manual, there are still tin crafters that are doing wonders with a small hammer and some simple tools.
Or, a similar fan blade from a household convection oven, if exists such size...

major4579
The fan is 3" in diameter, I haven't thought to try those options. Thanks!
The turbo oven fan blades I could find were all too big, But Grainger had a selection of 3" metal fan blades, so I ordered a bunch to see if I could make one work.
major4579 attached the following image:
fan_1.jpg

Edited by major4579 on 02/19/2019 9:06 AM

snwcmpr
I do not know the failure of the blade, but a braze or weld may be a solution.

I did see a recent sale on that auction place.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Caffe-Rosto-CR-120-Coffee-Air-Roaster-Home-Roasting-Appliance-NO-SALES-TAX-/283301523809
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

major4579
snwcmpr,
While running, my guess is, one blade broke off and that piece of metal in a confined space caused all the rest of the blades to break and become mangled. I'm left with a flat metal disk and a bunch of bent up metal bits. There really is no way to rebuild it.
I'm hoping that I can adapt one of the fans I bought from Graingers. I will not know for a week or so.
Thanks for the suggestion.
John

allenb
It would help if you could post a photo of the hub plus vanes that broke off. Also shaft diameter.

These blowers utilize a radial impeller design, not a pitched fan blade design as you've shown. It should look something like this:
allenb attached the following image:
thumbnail_duke_blower_wheel_for_subway_o-duk154019.jpg

1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

major4579
allenb,
you are right, it was an impeller. I will be away from home for a week but I will post that info and pics when I return.
Thanks

major4579
I'm back and have pictures. The overall diameter is 3" (76mm). The shaft is OD= 0.24" (6mm) ID is threaded and appears to be 8-32, but I'll need to take it somewhere (HD) to test for metric thread size. I'm going to try and bend the propeller fan blade into an impeller. Will post pic when I'm done.

www.nccs.biz/files/Front%20Side%20-%20Head%20On.jpg

www.nccs.biz/files/Front%20Side%20-%20Angle.jpg

www.nccs.biz/files/Whats%20left%20of%20blades.jpg

www.nccs.biz/files/Back%20Side.jpg

major4579
I bought a $4 blade assembly from Grainger and cut and manipulated it into an impeller (approx.). At least it moves a load of green beans around and doesn't seem to vibrate any more then the old one. One difference is that this is 10 blades whereas the old one had 12. Next is to try doing a roast.

www.nccs.biz/files/New%20Blade%20-Head%20On.jpg

www.nccs.biz/files/New%20Blade%20-%20Angle.jpg

allenb
If that moves the proper amount of air to push your beans around and doesn't vibrate too bad, you may be fine with that one. But, at high rpm of most of these designs, any vibration will usually cause premature failure. If you end up needing an impeller, let us know and we'll try and locate a source.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

major4579
Thanks, I may have to take you up on your offer, but let me try some roasts and see how it goes.
John

JackH
Nice job fabricating it!
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

renatoa
Please go back to post #2 and have a look again at the turbo oven fan picture.
What I noticed missing from your van is the external ring, made from same tin as the fan blades.
I think this could be the key of the failure. That ring brings a lot of peripheral rigidity, and keep the blade tips at equal distance. not allowing them to bend or vibrate.
I know from my other hobby, model planes, how distructive could be the flutter, i.e vibration induced into a flight surface, either wing or propeller.

Jump to Forum: