Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Air vs Drum roaster
Rito89892
Hi guys I've been looking around this forum for info about roaster and i met with a roaster from a few towns over and he said try sweet maria's to get a roaster and i see they have air roasting and a drum roaster. i really like geek grind coffee which they say is air roasted. but i want to learn home roasting and then slowly dip my feet into commercial roasting as id like to own my own cafe one day. https://www.sweet...roast.html https://www.sweet...kit-2.html https://geekgrind...

renatoa
Welcome !

Please be aware that qualifying a machine as a drum roaster is very tricky and misleading.
Rolling beans in a thin mesh cage, having a cylinder shape, is far from the thermal model of a true commercial drum roaster.
Even as heat source and transfer method, Behmor is not even close to a drum. It is a radiant machine, and use a particular power management pattern, specific to this class.
Beyond this, the control capabilities of Behmor are very weak, to be useful as a learning tool. Even if many people get good results from the Behmor, it does not allow learn roasting in the classic commercial way, as you intend to progress.

Rito89892

renatoa wrote:

Welcome !

Please be aware that qualifying a machine as a drum roaster is very tricky and misleading.
Rolling beans in a thin mesh cage, having a cylinder shape, is far from the thermal model of a true commercial drum roaster.
Even as heat source and transfer method, Behmor is not even close to a drum. It is a radiant machine, and use a particular power management pattern, specific to this class.
Beyond this, the control capabilities of Behmor are very weak, to be useful as a learning tool. Even if many people get good results from the Behmor, it does not allow learn roasting in the classic commercial way, as you intend to progress.
So would the air roaster be a better option to learn from?

renatoa
Indeed, the control capabilities are there, especially for SR800, and also do you have temperature display.
So you have a lot of variables to play, and learn their effect.
And a lot to read... preferable before acquiring anything Grin

Rito89892

renatoa wrote:

Indeed, the control capabilities are there, especially for SR800, and also do you have temperature display.
So you have a lot of variables to play, and learn their effect.
And a lot to read... preferable before acquiring anything Grin

Thank you Grin

My SR500 has gotten to the point where I can barely hit 425. If anyone has one lying around that can get up to 500 degrees and you want to part with it let me know. Thanks.
It's bad luck to be superstitious

renatoa
What about investigating the reasons to behave this way ? confused
The heaters don't degrade, they simply burn at all.
Maybe the fan control is stuck on maximum airflow? This could happen if the control triac is gone.
Or maybe the measurement system was hit by a power surge... the TC input circuits are very sensitive to such shocks.

Is the roast progress and results proving this temperature drop is real?

Jump to Forum: