Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Green coffee reviews
DiyDan
Hi,

How do you all decide whether to buy a specific green coffee you haven’t tried before? Do you go by reviews on the green coffee sites? I didn’t see any place on this forum that has reviews of recent purchases. I started roasting a few months ago and have only ordered from Sweet Marias since I liked what I got, but my last purchase was not as successful and I think reviews might have helped. I know people are roasting differently and tastes are subjective so reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt. I guess if I saw a lot of good reviews and profile details for a coffee using the same roaster I use then I’d be much more inclined to buy it.

Thoughts?

oldgrumpus
I would start by searching "coffee characteristics by country" in a search engine. You will find that regions have some general characteristics that you may favor, and start there. You might also lurk in the Sweet Maria's website for some descriptions of their individual coffees from the regions you choose. Keep in mind that just because the descriptions sound good, it doesn't always turn out as you expect. Marketing lingo, roasting skills, etc, come into play. It's an adventure. If you don't like one, try another until you land somewhere in the ballpark and then drill down. Try other coffees from the same region.

This is just my way. There really isn't any right or wrong. Just enjoy the journey. For me, I like earthy, deep and savory. Some like fruity, etc. My path has led mostly to Ethiopian and other African coffees as well as Sumatran and other areas in that region. Similar, but different.

Good Luck!
Clever Coffee Dripper
Grinder: Macap M4
Roaster: Completed drum roaster project photos shown here:
Photos https://goo.gl/ph...Da6K4wfqw5
Videos https://www.youtu...Bd1NrdpSUH
Build thread https://homeroast...post_38189

I buy from CoffeeBeanCorral. Very happy with their selection and the service is fantastic. They offer half-pound quantities as well so you can try before you buy larger amounts. They offer user reviews as well which I read carefully, plus have descriptions of the profiles. Anything mentioning certain keywords, citrus or 'fruity' I stay away from. Personal preference for me.
It's bad luck to be superstitious

DiyDan
Thanks for the replies,

Sorry for the delayed response, I foolishly linked my account to an email I don't regularly check.

oldgrumpus, my wife and I also like the earthy flavors so I'd be interested to hear recent coffees you've liked.
I think my engineering mind and recent experiences are telling me to take a more methodical approach to selecting and roasting. Recently I got 2 lbs of Yemen that I really loved, then it was out of stock and I ordered 5 lbs of a different Yemen with a nearly identical profile, but I struggled the whole time to even come close to the first one. I'm also hearing (and I believe experiencing) that some coffee flavors develop weeks later, so I'd like to get as much info on roasting and resting when I buy a coffee.

Thanks 8675309, I will give them a try. I like that they have user reviews, and they're all on one page so I can search them for specific words.

oldgrumpus

DiyDan wrote:
oldgrumpus, my wife and I also like the earthy flavors so I'd be interested to hear recent coffees you've liked.
I think my engineering mind and recent experiences are telling me to take a more methodical approach to selecting and roasting. Recently I got 2 lbs of Yemen that I really loved, then it was out of stock and I ordered 5 lbs of a different Yemen with a nearly identical profile, but I struggled the whole time to even come close to the first one. I'm also hearing (and I believe experiencing) that some coffee flavors develop weeks later, so I'd like to get as much info on roasting and resting when I buy a coffee.

DiyDan,
I think you've just hit on something most of us probably struggle with. It's finding and roasting something that get's "it" just right, but then becomes a fleeting memory. I think much of it is due to the fact that coffee is an agricultural crop. Think of the produce section at your grocery store. You get some pears or apples or whatever and most of the time they're pretty good. But once in a while, you get an amazing surprise, the thing you've been buying all along and been relatively satisfied with, somehow magically is almost beyond words. The variables are numerous.

Regarding the earthy flavors: I've had a lot of frustration trying to roast them light (light is all the rage), but I think for some of us, including me, it has been an over-reaction to the S-Bucks reputation of burnt and too dark. Darker roasts can be good, if not too dark. I'm playing with the development range in the 25-30% area past the beginning of first crack with more satisfaction. Still learning...

A few years ago, I bought some Ethiopia Sidama natural processed, from Bodhi Leaf Coffee Roasters and it was the best coffee ever. Ordered more for the span of several orders, but NONE were as good as that one batch.

I hope that helps.....

Piotrkurak
Got 20 lbs el salvador cerro los ranas honey processed from Burman. Darker roasts in 1minute more roasts every batch in the behmore. Havent hit my personal sweet spot, but so far for stopping midway through 1st crack the vendor description of what to expect have been spot on. Finance officer said to buy another 20#

DiyDan

oldgrumpus wrote:

DiyDan wrote:

DiyDan,
I think you've just hit on something most of us probably struggle with. It's finding and roasting something that get's "it" just right, but then becomes a fleeting memory. I think much of it is due to the fact that coffee is an agricultural crop. Think of the produce section at your grocery store. You get some pears or apples or whatever and most of the time they're pretty good. But once in a while, you get an amazing surprise, the thing you've been buying all along and been relatively satisfied with, somehow magically is almost beyond words. The variables are numerous.

Regarding the earthy flavors: I've had a lot of frustration trying to roast them light (light is all the rage), but I think for some of us, including me, it has been an over-reaction to the S-Bucks reputation of burnt and too dark. Darker roasts can be good, if not too dark. I'm playing with the development range in the 25-30% area past the beginning of first crack with more satisfaction. Still learning...

A few years ago, I bought some Ethiopia Sidama natural processed, from Bodhi Leaf Coffee Roasters and it was the best coffee ever. Ordered more for the span of several orders, but NONE were as good as that one batch.

I hope that helps.....

Thanks for sharing your technique with earthy flavors, and your experience with flavor unrepeatability. My peak flavor experience was followed by many mediocre roasts of other coffees as well, and I was starting to question things. It sounds like I need to temper my expectations. Being new (~70 roasts) I'm still figuring out what to expect. I recently had some roasts that I think came out very good so I'm happy about that.

DiyDan

Piotrkurak wrote:

Got 20 lbs el salvador cerro los ranas honey processed from Burman. Darker roasts in 1minute more roasts every batch in the behmore. Havent hit my personal sweet spot, but so far for stopping midway through 1st crack the vendor description of what to expect have been spot on. Finance officer said to buy another 20#

Thanks for sharing your experience with this coffee from Burman, I'll check it out.

Mike_Mathis

DiyDan wrote:

Recently I got 2 lbs of Yemen that I really loved, then it was out of stock and I ordered 5 lbs of a different Yemen with a nearly identical profile, but I struggled the whole time to even come close to the first one. I'm also hearing (and I believe experiencing) that some coffee flavors develop weeks later, so I'd like to get as much info on roasting and resting when I buy a coffee.

Hmm. I recently purchased 5 lbs of Yemen Sharqui Haraz from SM. I have roasted it twice at one lb each. This stuff is delicious. However, being the adventurous sort, I opted to purchase 5 more lbs, but this time I chose Yemen Al Qafr Hawari. It arrived today. I hope my Yemen experience is different from yours. The Sharqui Haraz is one of the best coffees I have ever had. The Al Qafr Hawari cost more so it must be better.........Right? lol cross fingers
*Kaffelogic Nano 7
*Skywalker V1
*2023 BC-2

renatoa
As in 80-20 rule, revisited... 80% more money for 20% better Grin

Mike_Mathis

renatoa wrote:

As in 80-20 rule, revisited... 80% more money for 20% better Grin

Well at US $0.15 more, I guess I shouldn't expect much.Shock
*Kaffelogic Nano 7
*Skywalker V1
*2023 BC-2