Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
TC4, Artisan, Kona...
allenb
All,

I believe we have cutting edge breakthroughs for home roasters taking place here with all of these controls and software apps but we're unfortunately lacking a way for anyone not already familiar with the technology to be properly introduced to what you guys have developed. For example, I've built the TC4 for rate of rise display and have been following much of the different threads but frankly, I couldn't tell you what Artisan is versus Kona.

What would be extremely helpful would be a thread dedicated to introducing what each of these tools do with practical examples of application.

For example, the TC4 can be used as a rate of rise meter but, with some tweaking can be turned into a profile controller.

Trying to glean this by reading all of the posts is a formidable task and many might give up before the light goes on.

The introductions and descriptions don't need to be overly complicated but just enough to let someone know if one or the other is something that would be of value to them.

Thanks for all the effort you've all put into these! I think it will ultimately revolutionize home roasting.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

bvwelch
Allen,

Thanks for your insights, and we'll try and meet your challenge to provide better high-level descriptions and come up with some better organization of threads here at HRO -- some way to allow continued brainstorming and innovation, but perhaps separate threads for announcing useful results.

I would like very much for folks to be able to use the TC4 in home roasters, whether they are expert in software or not. And I agree they shouldn't have to invest a huge amount of effort into evaluating what's available, even though we developers are spending hundreds of man-hours behind the scenes making open-source hardware and software possible.

By the way, where are the high-level threads explaining welding, milling, insulation, gear motors, bearings, propane, fans, etc? :-)

allenb

bvwelch wrote:
Allen,

Thanks for your insights, and we'll try and meet your challenge to provide better high-level descriptions and come up with some better organization of threads here at HRO -- some way to allow continued brainstorming and innovation, but perhaps separate threads for announcing useful results.
For a starting point a list of names with descriptions, for example, TC4 sheild = ..., Kona = ... With each of these maybe give a link address to the first thread/post covering the item. This would let someone know if it is something they will want to dive into and dissect the thread to get fully up to speed.

I would like very much for folks to be able to use the TC4 in home roasters, whether they are expert in software or not. And I agree they shouldn't have to invest a huge amount of effort into evaluating what's available, even though we developers are spending hundreds of man-hours behind the scenes making open-source hardware and software possible.
After looking at what I posted I feel like I was sending a complaint letter to a manufacturer's rep for including vague product documentation. You guys have poured your souls into these software apps/controls and shouldn't feel you have any obligation to now package user manuals for them. The fact that we have access to them without charge is more than enough!

By the way, where are the high-level threads explaining welding, milling, insulation, gear motors, bearings, propane, fans, etc? :-)
Good point. Some of those are here somewhere in the myriad of threads here at HRO but to put your hands on them quickly could be a challenge and to try and add that would be beyond the scope of a forum. Having said that I want to clarify that you don't need to go any further than just a simple introduction of the items you guys have come up with and a brief description... and of course anything else you think would be of valueThumbsUp

1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

JimG
As a relative newcomer to HRO, I have to first ask "Does the HRO community wish for HRO to continue to be the primary forum for the TC4 system?"

If yes, then my thoughts would be to initiate a few new threads, generally along these lines:

1. TC4 - Overview and announcements
2. TC4 - Hardware discussions
3. TC4 - Bourbon application software
4. TC4 - Catuai application software
5. TC4 - Artisan application software
6. TC4 - Gesha application software

Randy has already started a thread for the Kona application, so I think that application is covered already.

If the consensus here is that those new threads would be appropriate, and welcome, then I will volunteer to get them started.

Jim

randytsuch
I think it would be great to have threads for each application, with a summary and some description of each app.

A sticky would also be good, which contained links to all of the apps.

Randy

allenb

randytsuch wrote:
I think it would be great to have threads for each application, with a summary and some description of each app.

A sticky would also be good, which contained links to all of the apps.

Randy

Jim and Randy,

Yes to all of your suggestions. I know for a fact that the TC4 and apps are a huge value to HRO and it couldn't be happening at a more appropriate site!

Other admins thoughts/suggestions?

Allen

greencardigan
There needs to be a section for discussing possible features and coding issues without clogging up the general info thread.

allenb
Jim, Bill, Randy, Brad, Bhante and the rest of the TC4 team...

Great progress already in organizing and easier navigation!

FYI, you should know that this endeavor is being watched with intense curiosity around the globe. This is probably going to be the first one-stop location where a home roaster will be able to build from the ground up the state of the art roaster controller/data logger that will surpass most of what's been done to date.

I hope I don't give you guys to big an ego but this is huge!

Keep up the excellent work,

Allen

JimG

JimG wrote:
1. TC4 - Overview and announcements
2. TC4 - Hardware discussions
3. TC4 - Bourbon application software
4. TC4 - Catuai application software
5. TC4 - Artisan application software
6. TC4 - Gesha application software

Based on input from Bhante, greencardigan, et. al., I propose adding a 7th thread:

7. TC4 - Coding and tech issues

I hope to get the overview thread started in the next couple of days....

Jim
Edited by JimG on 04/08/2011 11:06 AM

bvwelch

allenb wrote:
Allen

Would it make sense for some of these new threads to be sticky?

allenb

bvwelch wrote:

allenb wrote:
Allen

Would it make sense for some of these new threads to be sticky?

Definitely. Let us know what threads need to be sticky or locked + sticky. I've made "TC4 - Artisan application software" sticky.

Allen

Jump to Forum: