Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
are my coffee beans' colour weird?
relacker
hi,

i am noob from singapore.
been follwoing this forum for a while. i just recently own a gencafe roaster and been doing some some raosting.

i bot some madheling beans and toraja beans from a supplier who seemed to charge a lower price/kg, but the appearance seemed odd with darker shade that i used to have.

i contacted the supplier and he told me the beans been aged for 2+yrs. they roasted the beans themselves and are of gd quality(what do i expect them to say)

toraja beans dark coloured
img694.imageshack.us/img694/3248/toraja.jpg

madheling dark coloured
img52.imageshack.us/img52/7143/madheling.jpg

i request for a change to fresher beans and he is ok with it, i will be changing this saturday.

are the above beans' colour weird??

the beans i roasted before were of lighter shade either in the light yellow or greenish but not like the above. comments and advice are welcome.

Koffee Kosmo
Hi and welcome relacker
It is very common to have varied been colours
This is due in part to differences in processing methods used and the region they are grown in
Some beans can also appear blue or yellow
Indian Monsooned Malabar can appear translucent

As a general rule green beans are still OK after 3 years of good storage conditions

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

endlesscycles
Aged = past crop... I'm not into it. However, I have taken receipt of some dark, like decaf looking dark Sumatra that cupped a little fruity (like ferment defect fruity), but not in an unpleasant way. I kept it.

As a "noob", you can't trust your own results to tell you if the coffee is good/bad. I would say that if you were not informed this was past crop prior to purchase, then that could constitute grounds for return if you are not confident in the product.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

seedlings
Those look like decaf. I haven't seen non-decaf beans that dark before, but I don't know every bean.

Do they taste good to you?

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

ginny
hey relacker:

the beans look fine. Bet those madheling smell really grassy.

I have used a huge variety of beans in all colors.

enjoy!

ginny

relacker
thank u everyone for your comments.

yeah ginny, the madheling do smell grassy and had a stronger 'bread baking' smell when it reach the dark yellow beige stage of roasting.

but the strange stuff is i cannot really hear the 1st crack and 2nd crack for this beans

relacker
the coffee taste kinda flat....

Koffee Kosmo
Just so we are on the same wavelength
I am a great believer of letting beans degas for several days for best taste

Can you post a photo of your roast
Can you post the brew method you used

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

seedlings

relacker wrote:
but the strange stuff is i cannot really hear the 1st crack and 2nd crack for this beans

Often this does mean the beans are older (doesn't make them bad), and have possibly lost moisture content. Proper moisture content gives chemical reactions all the resources they need to complete properly. I suggest you try a roast as rapid as possible to first crack, thoroughly preheating the roaster. If you notice scorching on the beans, back off just a little bit on the following roast.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

relacker

seedlings wrote:

relacker wrote:

Often this does mean the beans are older (doesn't make them bad), and have possibly lost moisture content. Proper moisture content gives chemical reactions all the resources they need to complete properly. I suggest you try a roast as rapid as possible to first crack, thoroughly preheating the roaster. If you notice scorching on the beans, back off just a little bit on the following roast.

CHAD

thk u, will try this and then post a pic. argh...the supplier refused my phone call when i called to confirm the exchange.

sorry i cannot give a pic of my roasted beans now bcos i cup some of the madheling and toraja beans just now and they taste horrid, so i mix them into a plastic bag for the garbage, taking pic of these mixed beans will not give a true picture.

anyway, gd news is the kenya AA the supplier sold me looks fine and when i roast, i can catch the 1st crack and 2nd crack and it taste pretty gd.

ginny
your roaster sucks or you really do have BAD beans.

buy some good beans, ask your friends or buy from a local cafe that roasts.

you are having way too much trouble with this batch.

forget this provider...

I would go back to him if he is a local yokel and toss them in his face!!

no, I am not kidding. this person knows you are a new roaster and he can get rid of his crappy beans.

ginnyShock

relacker

ginny wrote:
your roaster sucks or you really do have BAD beans.

buy some good beans, ask your friends or buy from a local cafe that roasts.

you are having way too much trouble with this batch.

forget this provider...

I would go back to him if he is a local yokel and toss them in his face!!

no, I am not kidding. this person knows you are a new roaster and he can get rid of his crappy beans.

ginnyShock

;) tink the roaster is alright, probably my lack of experience in roasting beans is aged. its not too bad, he did return my call and said that he was overseas. will exchange the beans tomorrow. i will exchange the toraja for ethiopian sidamo , for the madheling, i still will like to try it and so ask for fresher batch.

let's c how it goes...
Edited by relacker on 09/09/2011 5:04 AM

John Despres
Keep trying other beans. If you still have the same issues from this vendor, change vendors.

The Gene Cafe is a good roaster and will do very well for you.

Next batch you roast, keep track of the numbers and times and post them here on HRO. Maybe there will be a clue there for us to help you better.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

relacker
here's my antigua beans:
img199.imageshack.us/img199/4605/antigua0.jpg

taken with no flash
img819.imageshack.us/img819/7739/antiguanoflash.jpg

started with 185degC for 5 min then switch to 237 for another 5min and then 242degC for another 6 min and then i switch to autocooling.

did not get to hear the 2nd crack as i was away.

1st crack around 11.8min.

normally i do not use the autocool but listen for the crackling start of 2C and do manual fan blow with corlander. so 2C seemed to be around 17.5min when i load it with 200gm of beans

any comments and advice are welcome.

btw, i went down to the supplier and his roaster was really friendly, showed me his air roaster and told me his temp settings are 125degC all the way til 20 min! was a bit surprised. but hey they are the pros and probably has to do with his machine. i was curious about the taste of a good cup of madheling and since they sell ready reoasted pack i told him wana pack, he say no need to buy c'mon in and he gave me a cup. ask me to drink with no sugar, telling me the that the madheling they sold actually aged from 2yrs to all of 30yrs most expensive. they meant for Japan export.

the taste of true madheling is fragrant and has a bit of that bitter end to it. anyway i drank it and he say will like to explore my roaster genecafe to further advise me on the profile. when i told him oil droplets appear on my beans few days after roast, he told me probably i over roasted as the aroma is in the oil, and oil appearance is as gd as leaking of the aroma.
Edited by relacker on 09/10/2011 8:22 AM

coffeebeanss
I guess that you get what you pay for! Did you get the refresh beans, replacing the old ones. Does this makes any difference in cost? My first unroasted coffee beans are pale green, and I could just about swear they are smaller than a typical roasted bean. They have a faint aroma, a bit like dried peas. I have tried different color coffee beans that they smell different and taste different.

Jump to Forum: