Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Mazzer Mini Single-Doser Conversion
Dan
I change coffees regularly, from single-origins for Americanos, to blends for espresso. The hopper and doser are just storage devices that get in the way of frequent changes and emptying them each time takes time and wastes coffee. So, I converted my multi-doser MM to a single-doser. Notice that I didn't say doserless, which is what many people do to solve this same problem. This result is better, I think.

www.claycritters.com/coffee/Mazzer%20Mini%20single%20doser.jpg

The photo is rather self-explanatory, I think. To covert, I just removed the hopper altogether. To keep the single-dose of beans from flying out I just put my tamper in the top. It's 58mm diameter is the perfect size.

I removed the doser unit entirely, and cut the back third off to bolt back on and cover the now exposed motor. From some plastic, I cut a triangular bracket to epoxy the funnel to the motor cover. I just happened to have that SS funnel.

The "lollipop" is a piece of 1/4" aluminum rod threaded on one end to accept a bakelite knob available at any good hardware store.

To grind a dose for a double-shot, put in two coffee measures of beans in the top of the machine and place the tamper on top. Drop the lollipop head first into the funnel so it acts as a stop valve. While it is grinding you are free to do other chores. You can be pulling a shot while grinding coffee for the next one.

To dispense, raise the lollipop slightly, and rattle it about to meter the ground coffee into the waiting PF. Use the small end to clean out the grinder chute, and rap the funnel with the lollipop to drop the remaining grounds into the PF.

John Despres
Thanks, Dan.

Is (was) there a specific purpose for the funnel prior to it's new and more glorious life?

In other words, what should I be looking for?

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Dan
That funnel was made by a machinist for some specific use, but I have no idea what it was. It was probably for some university experiment, or perhaps someone was just bored one day. I'd look for a SS restaurant funnel, or make your own.

John Despres
I'll have to shop this one; building it is beyond my skill set.

Thanks.
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

yamhill
I have a mazzer major with a doser, but I run single doses through it most of the time. That means I clean it out with a brush between doses which is a pain. This looks really nice. Without lid on the doser, my grinder flings a lot of coffee around. What's your experience in that regard? How much coffee misses the funnel?

John

ciel-007

yamhill wrote:

I have a mazzer major ... I run single doses through it most of the time. That means I clean it out with a brush between doses which is a pain.

Same here John - I like to grind different beans as well with my MM-E. However, when I switch beans I find myself spending time trying to brush out the contents of grinding chamber which still contains a full gram of grinds from the previous bean...
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

Dan
I just use my tamper as the whole bean cover. Click on the image above and you'll see my stubby tamper.

The top of my funnel is only about 3" in diameter, so a little bit miss the funnel but not much. A 4-4.5" funnel would work better. The top of the funnel is tilted towards the grinder, and I've ground off part of the a funnel so it meets the grinder with about a 2" lip. Again, see the image.

ciel-007
Dan, you've done a superb job modding the MM - congrats!

I don't see the anti-static screen in the photo... is it correct to assume that you removed it during modification?
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

Dan
Yes, I removed the little wires. I'm not sure they did anything except provide a sales feature. Anti-statics usually have LOTS of sharp, fine wire end points, each of which ionizes the air in order to collect the static.

ciel-007
The MM-E is the king of my coffee counter, and remains the workhorse used to fine grind my special espresso blend. However, when using my MM-E, I was switching beans often and was annoyed with all the time I was spending brushing out the coffee that was left inside the grinding chamber from the previous beans. So, for a while I made a number of modifications to my MM-E. Cleaning out the MM-E was made easier by removing the anti-static screen. However, after removing the screen I found that the ground coffee was emerging from the MM-E in clumps because of the static buildup... so I replaced the screen and the clumps are gone.

I now have a second grinder for multiple applications, the Baratza Vario. The BV allows me to change beans without spending time cleaning out the grinding chamber. The BV also allows me to switch from espresso grind? to filter grind? to French Press grind within seconds. With the BV hardly any coffee grinds remain inside the chamber after the beans have gone through, making switching beans very easy and pleasant.

Jump to Forum: