Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Weird Gene Cafe temp readings
Javaslinger
So I see a lot of people running profiles like the following...

5 min at 300
4 min at 435
2 min at 460
482 until first crack
drop to 460 until desired roast is achieved...

Do you actually reach those temps by the end of the time?

For example, I'm getting to 300 by 5 min, but only to about 405 at 9 min, and 430 ish by 11 min.. and I'm at 447 when I start getting first crack...

I don't know if my thermometer is off or is my heater is off....

I have had this unit for years but it has never seemed to be reliable temperature wise in a long long time. I replaced the heater, send it to Tim and he replaced the control board, power board, and I think he cleaned the temp sensors.. still having issues.. Oh, and yes, the chaff screen has been disassembled and is clean.

Suggestions? I'm still roasting but I feel like I have no control over the roasts now (for years) and it's much more hit or miss...

Thanks!

Ken

John Despres
No. You probably reach 300F for your warming/drying phase, but the others aren't reached. You'd know if you reached 482F; you'd have a fire.

Do this.
5:00 at 300F
bump to 465F Or 482F if you like) until first crack
Drop to 440F 1:00 into first crack.

The settings are a bit nebulous on the Gene. Essentially, they mean the temps are rising. You'll know if a temp has been reached once the heater begins cycling on and off.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Javaslinger
Hmmm, I do recall when I first used my Gene Cafe (years and years ago) it would reach 482. I just couldn't recall if/when it hit the intervening temps...

Barrie
I have just gone back to the Roastmaster curve of my first GC roast when it was new "out of the box." The bean was Mexican Terruno Nayarita Washed Reserve (273gm), and this was a run through "to the end" from a cold start to note the new machines performance characteristics, with the temperature set to 482 all through. It reached 482 (container exit) temperature in 15.5 min, and 2C occurred at that time. On that machine 1C usually was reached at about 460, and so as this usually happens at a bean temp of about 400, I always factored in a 60 degree differential for my particular roasting circumstances.

After a few months, the machine ended up back with Tim, when it would not reach 482. To cut a long story short, in sequence he checked the outlet temerature sensor, replaced the heater, and then the CPU chip on the circuit board and, finally, the circuit board. None of that worked and he decided that there was an incompatibility between the chips he was receiving from Korea and the older boards. He waited for a new supply of both to arrive, replaced mine, and the machine is working like a charm once again.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

Jump to Forum: