Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Monsooned Malabar
Tony_C
Okay, I roasted a pound of India Monsooned Malabar last night, and am giving it a day or so to degas. Without ever tasting it, what is everyone's take on this bean? Anyone enjoy it by itself, or is it a must blend bean?
Behmor 1600+, SC/TO, KKTO (Building), Baratza Encore, Chemex, Bodum Chambord French Press, Turkish Cezve

ginny
It's a great bean, you will most likely love it.

I do and the monsooned beans are always great, at least I love them...

may I ask Tony where you got the beans? thanks and enjoy a wonderful cup.

ginny

woohoo

Tony_C
Thanks Ginny, I just brewed my first cup of it this morning and I am liking it very much.

My Behmor roast settings were:

Preheat 1:45 (Finding this makes a big difference in most all my roasts)
P3 - C (14:00 minutes)
FC 12:20 (Talk about some intense snaps!)
Cool: 14:00

I had read some of the other Behmor roasters experiences saying that with this bean, that you will actually see a fair amount of smoke at the very end of the roast coming out of the machine, and it is normal for the bean. True to form, right around 13:50 I had smoke just as predicted. Once cooled, you would think that with that amount of smoke the beans would be dark, Shock or charred, but it came out at a nice City+ color. Much lighter than I would have thought.

It's a very simplistic bean in my opinion. Very low acidity, no brightness, and in my opinion, at least on my roast, a very earthy, full bodied flavor, with chocolate notes coming through. It also has a pleasant aftertaste. The more I'm drinking this, the more I am liking it. I read so many horror stories about bad flavors from drinking it on its own, that it has to be a blend, etc. Ginny, I'm with you on this bean. The more I drink it, the more I like it.

I bought them from GenX Coffee out of Washington state. I've bought from them before and always have been pleased with the cost, shipping and customer service. Even though they are a west coast supplier, and I'm over on the far reaches of the east coast, I want my orders fast as I get excited awaiting the bean deliveries ThumbsUp They ship fast, and are one of the suppliers I always will use, and deserve a shout out for other roasters to try.

Ginny, I've moved from "liking" to "loving" this bean!
Behmor 1600+, SC/TO, KKTO (Building), Baratza Encore, Chemex, Bodum Chambord French Press, Turkish Cezve

Tony_C
My results of my second "experimental" roast of Malabar are in this morning, and are very informative.

I decided to try:
Preheat 1:45
P4 - D (15:00 minutes)
FC 12:10 (Again, talk about some intense snaps!)
SC 14:00 (Came on like gangbusters all at once, ended roast immediately!)
Cool: 14:00

Again, there was a fair amount of smoke at the very end of the roast coming out of the machine. After cooling, the color of the beans was only a slight bit darker than my previous roast, and after a couple days degassing, no oils or changes to the color.

And the aroma of the grind and brew is just of a dark roasted coffee. Also the flavor is nothing but of a dark roast, with no real characteristics. No earthiness, no chocolate, just plain ole dark roasted coffee. I can see espresso drinkers liking this as a part of a blend to add a real roasted flavor, but alone as a single, this is not the right roast.

Ah the joys of experimenting...

Jump to Forum: