Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hello from eastern PA
KnittyBrew
Just a quick introduction. I’ve just entered into the home roasting gig. I have a Fresh Roast SR800 that I’ve modified to take a thermocouple hooked to a Mastech and using Artisan to record roast profiles. I’m a retired chemist so this isn’t different from some of the reactions I’ve run. I’ve only been through a dozen roasts so don’t have a wide enough experience to have a favorite but the Mocabe HG I’ve been playing with (Chiapas, Mexico) is fairly tasty.

I’m just absorbing as much information as I can for now.
Knitty Brew
New Home Roaster
Fresh Roast SR800

allenb
Hi Knitty Brew and welcome to HRO! Good to hear you're getting good results with your SR800 and the Mocabe. Once you've gotten down the various rabbit holes, would love to hear your thoughts on the development stage of the roast. There's been gobs of coffee professionals talk for ever on the reactions happening from the onset of first crack till end of roast but has been woefully lacking in applying all of it to how we control the roast through that phase to get the best outcomes. There's been lots of generalizations about optimum % this phase should occupy out of the total roast time but all seems to be voodoo guesses. With your chemistry background, maybe you can take the discussion to a more practical level where we can improve our roasts.

Good to have you on board! smile
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Jump to Forum: