Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
My U.A.F. hot air roaster (Dedicated to renatoa)
progen
This is a sneak preview of a loft test in Mk. 2 of my hot air roaster. I know for sure that the prototype worked fine at low 1kg batch weight and I was actually offered an award winning bean once my machine was stable but I wanted a larger and more robust roaster that's capable of being automated. Have thrown in a lot more time and money on Mk. 2. It's not ready yet but if your blower can lift the beans and you've already upped your heating element's capability, you know you're in business.

I've been bugging renatoa God knows how many times for help mainly on the TC4+ and Arduino side. It's just me. I'm a lazy shit who's too lazy to go figure out that part by himself so renatoa, thank you so much for the months and months that you'd been so patient. Everything's working fine now but the project still needs a few more pieces from the metal workshop before I can start roasting again.

The first part of the video of the roaster was actually taken a few days before the segment of the beans bouncing about in the hopper. Last part was to show viewers how much beans I was testing with. The heating chamber will be encased in a thick layer of rockwool and placed into a mild steel compartment. In Mk. 1, the surface temperature of the compartment was only a little above ambient which surprised me lots. After back to back roasting of 9 batches, it was barely 40+ degrees Celsius.

And below was the first time roasting a drinking batch in the prototype aka Mk. 1. I was happy as f**k and a little surprised nothing exploded Roflmao when I turned the entire machine on for the first time.

Edited by progen on 07/21/2022 9:16 AM

progen
This is Mk. 2's control panel and laptop stand. There'll be another USB monitor somewhere too. I used a 3 switch combo because of the limited space on what was previously the mousepad. No worries about the high power to the heater because there's a 40A contactor handling that. Ignore the purple strap holding down the control panel. The horizontal tube has been welded now and the whole thing is very stable although I might add another vertical tube below the laptop section for greater peace of mind.

i.ibb.co/RN3xGFt/1.jpg

This was a trial layout with Mk. 1.. Obviously the monitor wouldn't like to be near anything hot but the rockwool encased heating chamber ensured that the heater chamber's secondary chamber was only slightly above ambient temperature. I could rest my hand on it for the entire roast. No worries there because in Mk. 2, the secondary monitor will be positioned somewhere else. Was just a Because I can moment.

i.ibb.co/R371tsG/277301471-1186277648850176-3532054105712424383-n.jpg
Edited by progen on 07/21/2022 9:20 AM

allenb
Hey progen, looks like lots of good forward momentum on your fluidbed build! Shoot photos and cupping Q notes when you've got it all finished and dialed in. Nice to see larger fluidbed builds in action.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

progen

allenb wrote:

Hey progen, looks like lots of good forward momentum on your fluidbed build! Shoot photos and cupping Q notes when you've got it all finished and dialed in. Nice to see larger fluidbed builds in action.

I had to be really careful with the knob but luckily the VFD provides a fairly linear change instead of like when using a voltage regulator in single phase mode.

Need to fabricate an extension of maybe 4 - 5" because it's no use having a blower and heater combo that can handle 3kg only to have beans flying out mid roast. And that's something I definitely can't afford because I'm planning to go into higher end stuff like say USD30 - 50 / lb kind of thing.

progen
i.ibb.co/Smw66Kz/IMG-20220908-190357.jpg
i.ibb.co/YTNZbz8/IMG-20220908-190409.jpg

She's not ready yet but here's a sneak preview of U.A.F. Mk. 2.

I'm taking things very slowly because I wake up close to noon usually and half the day's gone. I have no plans drawn out and it's all in my head. Even I find I'm short of bolts and nuts, the shops are already closed although I live just across the road from industrial supplies shops.

Her electricals and electronics are all connected and tested fine so it's a matter of installing the two thermocouples (one top and one bottom) in her heating chamber, bolt down the heating element, connect their wires to the SSR, close and lock up the heating chamber, stuff it into the secondary chamber / holder and fill it up with rockwool before bolting the secondary chamber shut.

Will run a few test batches with stale beans and then perhaps a batch or two for drinking before dismantling again to send for powdercoating. If finances allow, I might even send the hopper and its platform for ceramic powder coating. Only on the outside though.

progen
i.ibb.co/r0PG9vN/IMG-20220909-142419.jpg

This will most likely be the configuration of the displays in the beginning.

Rincewind
Hi @progen are those 10 turn pots useful, essential, PITA to adjust quickly or just something you had lying around (better eye-candy than standard pots) and just put them to good use ?

I love them but at times i found them to be a hindrance if one needed to be at the opposite end (10 full turns etc.) quickly.
Tree Hugging Biker
Trees have feelings too, so show them some love...it'll make you feel better and it'll brighten up the trees day no doubt

renatoa
Roasting is anything but not fast brutal changes.
Reproducible is more important than speed.
The best would be a "digital pot", something like a two digit decimal pushwheel switch, controlling a resistor array.
~~~
renatoa attached the following image:
image_2022-09-13_091411210.png

progen

Rincewind wrote:

Hi @progen are those 10 turn pots useful, essential, PITA to adjust quickly or just something you had lying around (better eye-candy than standard pots) and just put them to good use ?

I love them but at times i found them to be a hindrance if one needed to be at the opposite end (10 full turns etc.) quickly.

Not sure which one you're looking at because none of them are those high precision pots although I used a slightly better quality Japanese made one for heater control.

progen

Still have some minor tweaks and modifications to make but she's coming about nicely and a lot easier to use and more stable than Mk. 1.

ps. Only the very chaffy Liberica were of drinking batches. The first four videos were of testing on different days with stale Arabica.

Rincewind

progen wrote:
Not sure which one you're looking at because none of them are those high precision pots although I used a slightly better quality Japanese made one for heater control.

My apologies, they looked like the 10-turn-variants...i'll assume yours just have bezel/surrounds with numbers printed on them.
Tree Hugging Biker
Trees have feelings too, so show them some love...it'll make you feel better and it'll brighten up the trees day no doubt

progen

Rincewind wrote:

progen wrote:

My apologies, they looked like the 10-turn-variants...i'll assume yours just have bezel/surrounds with numbers printed on them.

Oh, those. I got those because they're convenient with screw terminals behind.

progen

progen

Tested out the stainless steel ball bean deflector today and was happier than happy with it. With this deflector, it allowed me to roast larger batches (faster if needed) and yet utilize lower than usual loft power. At the end just before I removed it, I was only using 50% power for a 2.5kg batch and my regenerative blower isn't a large one. Rated at 750W only although I did turn up the frequency a few months ago but any comparisons noted was at the same frequency.

Please read the video's description for further details.

allenb
Hey Progen, this is a fantastic solution to the typical fluidbed issue of loft height variation. I remember the Hearthware precision used an inverted cone which was fairly effective but your’s allows control when varying the green charge weight which is a very nice enhancement.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Jump to Forum: