Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Christmas bean swap 2008!!!
John Despres
I can't start this without a huge THANK YOU to Dennis for organizing this last year!!!
s:2s:1s:2s:1s:2s:1
Great job, Dennis!

I began lurking here for about a month at the tail end of the '07 Swap and was terrified of all you swappers! There was no chance I would send away anything I roasted. At least not then, anyway.

That said, I'm pleased to be doing this!

One note - I've called this the "Bean Swap" since I'm not a blender, but I may give myself a crash course and try, otherwise it'll be a couple single origins from me. So, if you're a single origin or a blend roaster, feel free to join in.

It's pretty simple, actually, and goes something like this:

Let me know through this thread if you'd like to participate in the Christmas Bean Swap 2008.

I'll keep a list and on December 10 will pair up participants to swap with each other.

Then each participant roasts a pound of coffee and sends it to me.

After that, each participant roasts another pound and sends it to their swap partner.

OK, I'm kidding about each participant sending me a pound of roasted coffee.

I'm suggesting a pound as a start. If anyone would like to send more, that's fine and up to the individual!

Who's in?

First name on the list:
John Despres
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

bvwelch
Please count me in! And I'll send you a PM with my postal mailing address. Thank you!

I'm still terrified to send any of my homeroast, but here goes!

Bill Welch

John Despres
How about once I get the pairings, everyone exchange addresses with their partner? It'll keep me from screwing it all up!
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

EddieDove
I'm down. Count me in.
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/

seedlings
John, I, too, am glad it isn't a blend swap! I may even get some >$4/pound beans before then! Grin

One ticket to ride, please,
CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

hebrews
Count me in, as well. Nothing like jumping in with both feet!

All the best,
Tom

BoldJava
I am in. I will roast two half pounds of Bolivian National Jury winners (Invalsa's beans). The Cafe Kantati and the Nakhaki Aymara, two of my absolute favorites, in a Yama vacpot, top everything.

B|Java
Edited by BoldJava on 11/10/2008 10:29 AM
http://sidewalkmy...
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

mehhistory
John,

I'm in as well. Thanks for taking up the slack.

Mike H.
"In the vault, no one can hear you scream"

John Despres
The list so far: Pardon me if I don't know everybody's real or full name
John Despres
Bill Welch
Eddie Dove
Chad (Seedlings)
Tom (Hebrews)
BoldJava - been a member or two days and playing hard!
Mike H. (mehhistory)
Respect the bean.
John Despres

west
John...count me in for a pound of the finest coffee grown in Atlanta.
west (wes tyler)

opus
Count me in, I'll come up with some sort of bean. [looks out the window at 30+ goats]

Pete Milne is the name...........

seedlings
For all the identity thief/homeroasters, I'm Chad Beauford. "Beau" like "beautiful" and "ford" like the truck.

And, Pete, if you're throwing in some smoked goat and cabbage, I'm politicing to be your pardner! ;)

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 11/10/2008 9:15 PM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

opus
Oh man, have you ever had smoked cabbage????? WOW!!!

David
Count me in, too, John.

John Despres

seedlings wrote: I'm Chad Beauford. "Beau" like "beautiful" and "ford" like the truck.

A Ford is a beautiful truck.

s:8 s:8 s:8 s:8 s:8 s:8 s:8 s:8
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
The list so far: This is looking good!
John Despres
Bill Welch
Eddie Dove
Chad Beauford(Seedlings)
Tom (Hebrews)
BoldJava - been a member for three days and playing hard!
Mike H. (mehhistory)
Wes Tyler (West)
Pete Milne (Opus)
David (David)
Respect the bean.
John Despres

RockinJava9
I am in.
Iowa's Best Roast starts here...
Brett
Brett Mason
balancing faith and family
over a cup of homeroast glory!

John Despres
Keeping this on the front page! We now have:
John Despres (John Despres)
Bill Welch (bvwelch
Eddie Dove (Eddie Dove)
Chad Beauford(Seedlings)
Tom (Hebrews)
Dave (BoldJava)
Mike H. (mehhistory)
Wes Tyler (West)
Pete Milne (Opus)
David (David)
Brett (mebebrett)
Edited by John Despres on 11/15/2008 5:29 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres

shadowdancer
Count me in. I have a nice blend I'll contribute. I call it Chocolate Lover's Blend. It's pretty mild but an awesome cup.

Shadowdancer AKA Darliene
Darliene

Kaffee Bitte
Count me in again this year too! Last years was fun.
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."

DarleneB
I want in! Is it too late? I'm a novice but I want a shot at running with the "big dogs". It builds character (so I'm told)!

DarleneB aka DarleneB

BoldJava

DarleneB wrote:
I want in! Is it too late? I'm a novice but I want a shot at running with the "big dogs". It builds character (so I'm told)!

DarleneB aka DarleneB

No big dawgs here...just a pack of mongrels that need some estrogen to balance the barking. Jump in there.

Note to group: Should we mix it up a bit and keep our country of origin a secret? Winner/s of the Guessathon are deemed "Cuppers of 2008," and get to coordinate Christmas 2009 cupping?

I will put up a pound of a El Salvador Los Alpes Cup of Excellence, #14 as part of a purse prize, includes shipping if a purse sweetens the participation. Don't want to make it complicated but I do sit up when something is on the line.

B|Java
www.vipdelivers.com/images/Dog%20Pack.jpg
Edited by BoldJava on 11/17/2008 5:51 PM
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

John Despres
No, you're not too late! Welcome, welcome, welcome! This is looking pretty good.

John Despres - John Despres
Bill Welch - bvwelch
Eddie Dove - Eddie Dove
Chad Beauford - Seedlings
Tom - Hebrews
Dave - BoldJava
Mike H. - mehhistory
Wes Tyler - West
Pete Milne - Opus
David - David
Brett - mebebrett
Darliene - Shadowdancer
Lynn - Kaffe Bitte
DarlenB - DarleneB
Edited by John Despres on 11/17/2008 7:06 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres

BoldJava wrote:
Note to group: Should we mix it up a bit and keep our country of origin a secret? Winner/s of the Guessathon are deemed "Cuppers of 2008," and get to coordinate Christmas 2009 cupping?

How would that work considering many of these will be blends? In fact, I hope I draw a blend partner!

It seems to me there was just such a swap some time ago.
Respect the bean.
John Despres

BoldJava

John Despres wrote:
How would that work considering many of these will be blends? In fact, I hope I draw a blend partner!

It seems to me there was just such a swap some time ago.

Wouldn't work with blends, just with single origins. Needn't do it with SO's, it was just an idea to juice it up a bit.

B|Java
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

Jump to Forum: