Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Just an idea for Northwest MT.
lowmanpt
I am not certain how many individuals on this forum are located in a rural area that is not well established in the world of coffee and it's numerous tastes it can produce like I am. So here is a little teaser I thought I would throw out with no strings attached, just something to throw around.

We are located in Northwest Montana and I believe in need of another really good coffee house. In this entire valley, there is one. One coffee house that I would rank as the best place to get an awesome drink. There are others around but they are either a drive thru, or a espresso place attached to a luncheon cafe. My idea (day dream) has been to introduce a very very simple coffee and tea house, making good quality coffee and mixed tea drinks. That is something that is no where to be found in a city of 50,000+ people. If a guy was smart with his money, kept costs minimum (no fancy extra comfortable furniture, no big screen TV's followed by high priced drinks) but offered thoughtful, quality and creative drinks with a comfortable and quiet atmosphere, is it somewhat simple to start something like that? Do people go for that? I know when I am out looking for a coffee or tea place, that's what I look for. Anyways, just an on going thought I've been having. Feel free to state some opinions.

Kaffee Bitte
I am in Missoula and I have thought the same thing myself. Really the number one thing to consider when opening a coffee shop is LOCATION! If you are in an out of the way spot in smallish cities you are done for. It won't matter how good you are or how good the word of mouth is (which is the best advertising in small towns) people aren't going to go out of their way for their coffee. Convenience will reign supreme.

Other than that it is more a matter of being willing to out in long hours getting it up and keeping it running. There is also the financial aspect too. There are a good number of costs getting a business up and running that are unexpected. If you know someone in your area that has a business of their own I suggest talking to them about their experience of start up and what the first year was like. Any knowledge you can garner from them will go a long way to getting you a start.

ETA: By the way welcome to Homeroasters.org! Nice to see another Montanan on here!
Edited by Kaffee Bitte on 01/06/2009 2:07 AM
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."

lowmanpt
Thank for the reply! I believe I remember you, you sent my father an ibrik for him to borrow awhile back...?

Thank you for the points. I am reassured that I am some what on the same page with others as how to go about this. Like I said, for now it's all in my day dreams. It certainly would be nice, but we can't all just snap our fingers. Lately my father and I have been throwing a ton of ideas around that would seem to be pretty practical. Who knows what can happen. Your from MT, you know as well as I that location is everything smile. If you don't have that, your bored and lonely. Thanks again, we will keep in touch.

Jump to Forum: