Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Selling coffee?
seedlings
:Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap:
:Clap: :Clap: :Clap:

Bravo, Clifford! Keep us informed of your progress, or should I say, your Success.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

ginny
Clifford:

CONGRATULATIONS on your hobby gone WILD...

way cool, please keep in touch, send pictures and if you want any
beta coffee testers we will all be here on deck to help you out!!

ginny

Grin

love your avatar!!
Edited by ginny on 01/29/2009 12:56 PM

Koffee Kosmo
I have just made my first sale to an acquaintance
It was unexpected and out of the blue. A $10 sale

The sale came about from them looking at this site at the roaster project and a view of the roasts

A quote from a song!
From little things big things grow

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

seedlings

Koffee Kosmo wrote:
I have just made my first sale to an acquaintance
It was unexpected and out of the blue. A $10 sale

The sale came about from them looking at this site at the roaster project and a view of the roasts

A quote from a song!
From little things big things grow

KK

It won't be long before we'll have to switch over to "ProRoasters.org".

Well done. I'm sure it's the first pound of many, KK.

CHAD

EddieDove
Clifford,

Much success is coming your way! ThumbsUp

Perhaps you could "diary" here the steps you take for the benefit of the rest of us. I would certainly be interested!

Congratulations! :Clap:
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/

seedlings
I've called the local Health Department. The "person" I need to talk to is always out of the office doing inspections, and hasn't returned calls yet.

CHAD

qajariaq
Same here! They tell me that they keep office hours from 8 to 9 am before they go out in the field for the day, but no one answers until after 9.... :|

seedlings
Once again this morning, the Health Inspectors are not in the office during their office hours.

I spoke with a nice lady at the Customer Assistance Center at City Hall, and she did not think the inspectors would let me roast coffee at home to sell. She did offer a suggestion, perhaps, roasting at the kitchen of a local church. I asked her about selling at a farmer's market, and she said, still, that I couldn't roast at home and bring it. She said they review the health inspections from anyone who brings products into a farmers market, and they do not prepare food at their homes...? Hmm. The other thing I asked about was a separate cart, like when one tows a BBQ setup behind their truck. That cart is liscensed and inspected separately. I asked if I had a separate cart, if I could roast in my driveway. She said probably no, but maybe I could pull it in my garage and use it. Interesting. Maybe an actual Inspector will call me back sometime.

CHAD

Clifford
Chad Try going to the county Department of Economic Development. One of the Counties in Mid Ohio is sponsoring a business start up facility that can be used part time (rented by hour or day) and is already inspected. They are hoping to get some businesses going that will provide jobs in the area after the business develops. I am going to make a trip there (to the one in Ohio) after the snow subsides and I get my car repaired. I will continue to post updates to this thread as I pursue my path to business. Cliff
Edited by Clifford on 02/02/2009 1:39 PM
May the Force be with your cup

Clifford
Chad

A further bit of advice. The person at the desk is not familiar with the intricacies of the health Department Code. You should have said I want to start a business. Please direct me to the office where I can get help and information about regulations. I worked for the City of Cleveland for 15 years and learned how to go around in government circles. Try my method, you may find that it works

seedlings
Clifford, in my phone book, there is neither county economic development nor anything related to health.

http://www.co.buc...

CHAD

Clifford
Chad, try again at city hall as ask for information on starting a business and to whom you should speak about requirements.

Clifford
Chad, I went on the internet, try

Planning and Community Development
Rm 107 1100 Frederick Ave
816-271-4827

Their Web site indicates they cooperate with the Chamber of Commece, which is also a good starting point to begin to gather the information that you need
Edited by Clifford on 02/02/2009 8:59 PM

Clifford
GOING INTO BUSINESS DIARY

I am still in the information gathering stage.

I sent and received e-mails about the roaster and

did more research on a business location.. The neatest Agricultural food business incubator is 3-5 hours driving time from my house, but if my business is accepted, I will b able to rent kitchen and processing facilities, as well as a loading dock usage for a reasonable amount I will go there rather than call and be rejected by phone so I can see what the facility offers myself.

My next step will be to make an appointment to have needed repairs on my car so i can drive around the area when the road conditions improve.

I am continuing to do research on the internet and have ordered another 15# of coffee on friday. I received an email that the importer in Wisconsin shipped today. More yummy coffee on the way. OH BOY !!!

That is my progress report. I have another convert to great coffee
Edited by Clifford on 02/02/2009 9:00 PM

Dan
Clifford, If you are opening a retail operation, check with your local zoning board and get a copy of their traffic count map. It will have the number of vehicles that travel on major streets within the city. This can be useful for determining a location.

seedlings
Finally got a response by email:

"The state and city health codes do not allow your to sell any foods produced from your home,the production area must be totally separate from your residence. But first you need to check zoning to see if you can be zoned for a business in your area. If you can then you would have to meet the other requirement for a separate place to produce and the requirements for a commercial food business. So please check with zoning first and then if that is ok, we can meet and discuss the other requirements."

CHAD

Dan
Chad, That is a very common requirement in many jurisdictions. Bread & Breakfasts have the same problem. They need two kitchens. One for the residents, and one for the patrons. Some counties are lax on this, but they tend to be rural locales.

What I've found is that the smallest commercial kitchen (sometimes called a catering kitchen) requirements apply to roasting:

Separate roasting area
Nearby handwash sink and restroom
3-hole sink large enough to submerge the largest item
Smooth, washable walls and floor
All items that come into contact with the food is SS, glass, or NSF plastic
Proper labels
Certified weigh scale

I had forgotten about zoning requirements. The question was moot for me since my locale was already zoned Industrial. I believe you need Industrial, Agricultural, or General Business to comply.
Edited by Dan on 02/03/2009 10:00 AM

John Despres
To add a recent occurrence here in Grand Rapids, there has been a crackdown by the FDA on small artisinal commercial roasters.

Five small roasters, most with cafes attached have been shut down for lack of sinks by the FDA.

I've spoken with one of the roasters (without a cafe) and the FDA targeted all of them at once. They have been told to cease operations until the proper sinks and hand washing facilities have been installed.

A single lavatory for washing up must be in the same room with the roaster(s) and no doors between the lavatory and the roaster itself. Then there must be a double sink as well, but I'm not sure whare...

He also has to install covers on all his light bulbs so glass would not get into the coffee if a bulb blows up.

He passed all the local ordinances and was cleared by the county health inspector to open up and roast. However, the FDA, has other ideas and being the greater of the two government organizations, can set additional guidelines.

Be sure to check with all the governing bodies if you want to go commercial.
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

seedlings
The crackdown raids will continue until entreprenuership revives our economy!

On the one hand, my left, very small, shriveled hand I understand the need for regulation, but on the other hand, my right, very large, strong, tea-party tattooed, freedom hand, I am very upset.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 02/28/2009 10:35 AM

cfsheridan
I hear ya, CHAD. What the FEDERAL folks have to do with this is beyond me. There are days where I'm embarrassed to be employed by the Gov't.

Clifford
PROGRESS REPORT

February has drawn to a close. My car was repaired under budget, so I was able to purchase 15# of the Peru from Bold Java, 100 2 oz plastic sample bags from Ginny and an inkjet printer to print appropriate labels.

More people are lining up and are eagerly anticipating some free samples. Grin
Edited by Clifford on 02/28/2009 3:54 PM

John Despres
Sounds like you're on your way, Clifford! Keep it up and keep us posted.

:Clap:
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Jump to Forum: