Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New Members - May Start Here !
allenb

xengineer wrote:
Hi HomeRoasters! My name is Charles Nemeth, retired electrical engineer, living in Toronto, Canada. I am relatively new to the entire coffee-universe as I only started regularly drinking coffee and espresso about 10 years ago. After spending some time in Costa Rica and tasting different local beans, I got hooked on good coffee. I quickly realized the difference freshly custom-roasted coffee can make, and after researching the possibilities and especially finding Homeroasters, I decided to make my own roaster. This is what lead me to sign up here now and share what I think is a new take on an old idea: after performing some electrical and thermal measurements, I modified a Stir-Crazy popper and make controllable and repeatable roasts without using the Turbo convection oven. I have done 5 batches, up to 200 g, of Costa Rican Tarrazu until now. My wife and I brew the espresso using a simple Bialetti, and we love the richness of the flavor.
If there is real interest, I will post the details of the Stir-Crazy modification, which is fairly simple and inexpensive. Just post a reply if interested, with the suggested forum where to post it.
Happy roasting!
Charles

Charles,

It's great to have you on board! Please post away under "All About Roasting" - "Popcorn Popper Roasting". I'm definitely interested and haven't seen much posted about this type of non-fluidbed popper so it should get some extra attention.

If possible please post photos as well!

Allen
Edited by allenb on 02/20/2012 7:03 PM
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

gmtman
Hi Charles....my name is Greg and I am a new member myself. I would love to hear about the Stir Crazy modifications you made so please feel free to email me directly as I was looking at the Stir Crazy Turbo Roaster to get me started in the world of coffee roasting.

mikepetro
Hi, my name is Mike and I like coffee!

Actually I like really GOOD coffee AND really good tea.

My primary brewing method is an 11 year old Miss Silvia. After pulling about 25,000 shots on her I just recently sent her to Finishing School where she became a true Lady, much smarter and more refined. PID control, precise pre-infusion, semi-automatic, fully plumbed in, etc..... I also use a French press for travel, and a vacuum pot for showing off to dinner guests. I dont own any sort of drip machine, nor do I wish to.

I love all sorts of coffee, but various Africans seem to really grab me. While my Lady Silvia is an awesome espresso machine, I tend to stay away from espresso blends and concentrate on single origins. Primarily I have been obtaining my roasted beans, mostly micro-lots, from Counter Culture Coffee in Durham NC. They are an awesome roastery in my opinion, but now I want to control the roasting variables myself.

I came here to learn how to roast. Never done it before but I am certain I will take to it like a fish to water. After a lot of research I just ordered a Gene Cafe which I plan to modify so that I can do repeatable multi-step profiles and automated batch logging. I engineer and maintain factory automation and process control instrumentation for a living so I am confident I will hit my goal. I also bought 5 pounds of a Costa Rican from SM to accommodate the initial learning curve of my new roaster.

What I need to learn from you folks is the "art" side of it. While I can control machinery very precisely, I know that there is an art to roasting that must be learned through experience and collaboration. I also need to learn the lingo and what to look for when sourcing green beans.

I have done a lot of co-op style buys of tea in the past, where I imported top grade tea from China and then split it up amongst a group of fellow enthusiasts. So once I learn what I am doing I will have no problem contributing to, and even hosting, the bulk buys that I see going on here. I have all the scales, packing materials, labels etc to easily jump in.

Anyway, thats a bit about me, I look forward to sharing this passion with you all.......

Mike Petro
Martinsville VA
Edited by ginny on 02/25/2012 1:49 PM

ginny
Welcome Mike:

Thanks for joining us here at HRO.

You have come to the right place, though we are one of many site on home roasting.

Please feel free to post any question about a particular bean in the roasting area and we do have a gene Cafe section I am sure you will enjoy.

ginnyGrin

Army Coffee
Mike;

Welcome to the World of Home Roasting and a Great Web Site. There are tons of notes on here that will help you achieve as much or as little as you want as far as automation and art.

I used this site and SMs as my primary resources when I was getting into roasting with a Popcorn Popper and when I figured out that this Home Roasting World was for me, I used this site as the primary resource in selecting my Gene Cafe. I have used my GC for 8 Pounds of Coffee so far and a few more going into it tomorrow. I LOVE MY GC!!!

Surf around and don't hesitate to ask questions. Glad to have you Roasting with us!
Drew
Edited by Army Coffee on 02/25/2012 7:07 PM
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

North TJ-072 2kg Roaster, Hottop 8828B, Gene Cafe Roaster, Baratza Vario Grinder, Breville SmartGrinder, Behmor Brazen, Cona "D", Bialetti Moka Express, Aero-Press, Quick Mill QM67

Bob J
Hi, my name is Bob and I am a complete noob..... Love coffee and am a certified tinkerer so am thinking this would be the perfect place to learn how to roast my own....

Like some of the other posters I brew beer as well as wine, mead and any one of a number of other alcoholic concoctions and have seen roasters advertised from some of my suppliers... Got me thinking this might be something fun to try.... Bought a poppery on Ebay yesterday after seeing the build/modify thread here so that will be project which will hopefully get me started....

Am not sure what beans to start with but from everything I've read the worst fresh roast is better than the best canned stuff so figure I can't go wrong.... My store bought preferences are the darker roasts (French and Italian) so will be reading up on the forums to get some ideas where I can start....

So much to learn....;- )

JETROASTER

Bob J wrote:
the worst fresh roast is better than the best canned stuff so figure I can't go wrong....

You are correct! I'd start with some less expensive stuff, learn your machine a bit, then move on.
Welcome to the world of tasters and tinkerers! -Scott

ocarolina
Hello from Chicago area. I have been roasting at home for almost 5 years. Started out with an Iroast2, and now have a Behmor. I will be receiving a Rancilio Silvia and Baratza Preciso on Tuesday, and cannot wait to try my roasts in the new grinder/machine. Hope I can learn much from this site. :smileycoffee:

Army Coffee

Bob J wrote:

My store bought preferences are the darker roasts (French and Italian) so will be reading up on the forums to get some ideas where I can start....

So much to learn....;- )

Bob:

Think the world of Starbucks has many convinced that Dark Roasts are better. Will tell you that you will learn that the Lighter Roasts bring out the unique origins of the coffee. Once we learned this and got into roasting, we began the experiments of the various roasts. We have pretty much written off the French Roast and spend all of our time between City and Full City +

The joy of Home Roasting!!!
Grin
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

North TJ-072 2kg Roaster, Hottop 8828B, Gene Cafe Roaster, Baratza Vario Grinder, Breville SmartGrinder, Behmor Brazen, Cona "D", Bialetti Moka Express, Aero-Press, Quick Mill QM67

allenb

ocarolina wrote:
Hello from Chicago area. I have been roasting at home for almost 5 years. Started out with an Iroast2, and now have a Behmor. I will be receiving a Rancilio Silvia and Baratza Preciso on Tuesday, and cannot wait to try my roasts in the new grinder/machine. Hope I can learn much from this site. :smileycoffee:

Hello ocarolina,

Welcome to HRO! We've got a few Behmor users here and would love to hear any tips/tricks you have or come up with in the future. Have you noticed a difference in the cup since moving to the Behmor?

Looking forward to hearing a report on the new Espresso machine and grinder once you've pulled a few.

Cheers,

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

J-ROD
Hello my name is Jarrett. I had never drank coffee except for the occasional truck stop cup until I met my lovely wife. Now I'm hooked on coffee.... I had no idea it could taste good.I have been using a whirley pop that my wife gave me as a gift for last few months. I am in the process of building my first roaster. I love to tinker and hope it turns out half as good as what i've seen on this site.

ginny
Jatrett,

I am sure you will find some interesting stuff here, just look around the forums.

go to the top left and click on Discussion Forum and you will see lots of items that may be of interest.

thanks for joining,

-g
Edited by ginny on 05/31/2012 3:24 PM

Barrie
Good evening,
I am a long-time coffee brewer, mostly espresso, and have been roasting with a Fresh Roast SR500 for the last two months, at the rate of 1lb or so every six days. I decided that I would like to upgrade and so have sold my SR500 and have a GC on the way. I think I understand the ABCs of roasting and now I need to get more experience under my belt, I was interested in Drew's comments (have seen his contributions on the SM forum) and look forward to hearing more from the GC experts. So far, the new idea from here has been to do an empty run to max temp and see how long it takes to get to each level. Our line voltage is bang on 120, but I must check it with the roaster running. I am hoping to avoid buying any variac or kill-a-watt, or whatever these things are called. smile
If any GC user can point to some MUST READ BEFORE YOU START USING A GC material I would love to read it.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

ginny
Hi Barrie:

Welcoe to the forums.

Let me suggest that you go over to the Gene Cafe Roaster thread, lokk at top left on this or any page and click on Discussion Forum, you will find the roaster threads.

There is a wealth of information there. Post a new thread with your question and the conversation can take place there so all will see the discussion.

thanks,

ginny

John Despres
Hi, Barrie, and welcome!

There's lots to read about the Gene Cafe. Start here:
http://forum.home...rum_id=116

There's lots to read and please post ant questions you may have.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Barrie

John Despres wrote:

Hi, Barrie, and welcome!

There's lots to read about the Gene Cafe. Start here:
http://forum.home...rum_id=116

There's lots to read and please post ant questions you may have.

John

Thanks, John. It is nice to see an active GC discussion here. It will be very helpful as I struggle through the early days. Is there a way that members can be notified automatically of new postings to threads in which they participate?
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

JETROASTER
Hi Barrie,
Yes, when you are signed in, go to the top of the thread that interests you and click on 'track this thread'. You will be notified via email.
Good Luck, Have fun! -Scott

RDL
Greetings to the Homeroasters,

This is my introductory post even though there were a few posts in the Fluidbed Roaster Discussion. Like many I started roasting on a modified Popcorn Popper but that was nearly 20 years ago. I think they were steam driven in those days. Those little Mabuchi motors tended to wear out so there were many replacements and some modifications such as double capacity units. About 15 years ago I made a 1 kg single pass roaster which was relatively "bare bones" but it was a start. About ten years ago we started the 3 kg line of roasters which is now at the fourth generation. For obvious reasons it is not considered a domestic unit.

Raymond

ciel-007
Hi Raymond and welcome aboard.
Might you have any ties to RDL Sweet Coffee pod machines?
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

sterolon
Hi!!! My name is Steve Rolon and I live in sunny, breeze & beautiful Puerto Rico. I simply LOVE coffee in any brewing form but mostly I drink espresso. I own an Expobar Office Control espresso machine and a Rancilio Rocky Doserless grinder. Thanks to all of you guys I added coffee roasting to the list of hobbies I passionately devote my time. I am now in the process of putting together a modified Stir Crazy that I've purchased on eBay (waiting for its arrival) and a Sharper Image's "Super Wave Oven" (another Turbo Oven) which I got at my local Costco store for $59.99. As soon as I roast my first batch of coffee I will post my results...I'm sure it will be good since I'm just following all the learnings and valuable information I had collected from you guys! Thanks!!!!

JETROASTER
Welcome Steve! Looking forward to your first roasts. -Scott

ciel-007
Welcome Steve, I'm sure that you will enjoy the company here at HRO. I see that you're brewing with an Expobar. How good are those pulls?
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

sterolon
Thanks Freshbeans and Ciel!!!

Ciel... I love my Expobar! I'm getting fantastic pulls from it. I'm looking to step up from my Office Control and I'm strongly considering the Brewtus II...how do you like it so far? Would you buy it again or would you consider something else? If something else, what machine? Thanks!!!

ciel-007

sterolon wrote:

... I'm strongly considering the Brewtus II...how do you like it so far...

I did a lot of legwork before finally deciding on the Brewtus II. I have had it for several years now, and I am still blown away (and so are my frequent guests) by the excellence of its pulls. It is my favorite appliance in the house (? well perhaps with the potential exception of my recent acquisition? a HotTop roaster). As far as I can tell, the current model is the Brewtus IV.
http://www.wholel...brew_4.cfm

oldgrumpus
Hey All!

Instead of having a hand where my right hand SHOULD be, I have a mug. I drink coffee all day long most every day. Only roasted about 30lbs total to this point, but soon that will change as I build my own roaster.

My day job is building museum exhibits. Those who do this sort of work are typically "type A" fussy perfectionists.... over-the-top nut-jobs. I'm proud to say I'm the worst. But wait! There's an outlet for me! Espresso, roasting coffee, the search for the perfect cup, etc. It's all good.

Thanks for the forum. It's pure therapy for folks like me!

Ralph
Clever Coffee Dripper
Grinder: Macap M4
Roaster: Completed drum roaster project photos shown here:
Photos https://goo.gl/ph...Da6K4wfqw5
Videos https://www.youtu...Bd1NrdpSUH
Build thread https://homeroast...post_38189

Jump to Forum: