Who is here? 2 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New Members - May Start Here !
JETROASTER
Hello "over the top nut-job" (Ralph/ oldgrumpus)

You have found the right place. Welcome aboard! -Scott

John Despres
Welcome, Ralph!

I can't wait to see a video of your roaster!

I design and build scenery as well as museum displays/exhibits. Where do you ply your trade? I'm in West Michigan.

JD
Edited by John Despres on 07/30/2012 2:54 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

oldgrumpus
Thanks for the warm welcome John! I work in Seattle.

Scott, Thanks for the new moniker! Love it.
Clever Coffee Dripper
Grinder: Macap M4
Roaster: Completed drum roaster project photos shown here:
Photos https://goo.gl/ph...Da6K4wfqw5
Videos https://www.youtu...Bd1NrdpSUH
Build thread https://homeroast...post_38189

kohi_kudasai
Hello. I am Jim and I am a coffee addict. It started innocently enough in the Navy. Then it was on to instant coffee, ground coffee, roasted beans, and now I have ordered green coffee beans. I'm getting in deeper and deeper. My wife caught me opening and smelling the coffee beans this afternoon. I felt so dirty. She thought I had quit. I didn't tell her about the green coffee beans on order. The mailman must think I am getting fresh since I walk out to the road each day to intercept the mail. My plan right now is a long extension cord, electric skillet, infrared thermometer, and the old hiding place in the woods. I hope the smoke doesn't cause her to call the rural fire department. That and the dog. If he gives me away this time, I swear it will be curtains for his squeaky hedge hog. I'll let you know any lessons learned. Fortunately, the WiFi works in the dog house.

John Despres
Welcome, Jim!

Yes, it's a terrible burden, this addiction we suffer from.

Don't set the woods on fire and since you've asked so politely, I hope that cuppa is delivered soon!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

greenzbeanz
Hi, I am a coffee enthusiast from Perth, Western Australia, I have joined your forum to learn and share my passion for roasting and all things coffee!!
I have been roasting for about eight years starting out on a popcorn maker which only lasted a couple of months before I killed it doing too many consecutive roasts, I then progressed on a 'corretto' breadmaker/heatgun/dmm datalogger set-up with roast monitor software, I happily used this set-up for around 500 roasts before the temptation of a bigger roaster took hold and I purchased my Torrefattore 2kg drum roaster.
Looking forward to sharing and learning roasting experiences with you
cheers
trevorThumbsUp
Life is too short to drink bad coffee!!
My toys--Isomac Tea/Maria HX, Mazzer SJ Electronic, Baratza Preciso for pourover, Bellina Syphon, Clever Dripper, ceramic pourover, Coffeetech 2kg Torrafattore manual drum roaster..................

ginny
trevor:

nice roaster, if you discover you hate it, send it to me for a check...

welcome,
ginny

14K, cheaper where you are?

allenb
Glad to have you on board Trevor!

Love to hear your experiences with your 2kg drum when you get a chance to put a thread together. We've got more than a few drummers here (including myself) who would enjoy discussing what's worked best for you with this roaster and how it might relate to our home-builts.

Post often!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

dalemon
Hey All -

Just a quick intro here. My passion for better coffee started when I became Type 1 diabetic. Gave up all the stuff I used to put in the coffee to wanting to enjoy really great coffee. Started buying from local roasters and using a french press. I've always loved good espresso also and last year finally bought a very used gaggia machine for 60 bucks. Cleaned it up a bit and restored to good working order and getting decent shots.

Started roasting after visiting a friend who had a Nesco - and I couldn't believe the freshness could affect the taste so dramatically. Soon, I went the cheap route and started roasting in WareEver popper that I found at a garage sale for a buck. That was two years ago. Now we've moved to a higher elevation (Utah from Missouri) and immediately I've struggled with my roasts progressing WAY too fast. So that sent me on a search to finally mod the popper. Only thing is I started browsing through the different forums seeing all the other DIY roasters and I've got this bug to do something more.

So that is why I am here - to learn from those who have been on this journey. Can't wait to build my next roaster and share my experiences.

Daran
Gaggia Coffee (FOWC), Pour Over, French Press, Hario Mini Mill Grinder, WearEver Popper/Roaster w slight mods

John Despres
Welcome Daran!

Thanks for joining and keep us posted as you progress.

And have fun!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

BainDramage
Hi all -

I started roasting in 2005. Popcorn poppers (went through 2 of them), heat gun, and finally to a few homebuilt drums for use on a BBQ.

I now use a Hottop programmable, which I love, and am thinking of getting a Behmor as well. I have been roasting for friends and family long enough that I fear that a 3-kilo shop roaster is in my future.

I don't recall why I got into home roasting, but after reading Kenneth David's book I realized the potential. My family has long since refused to drink commercial coffee - including coffees from the big-chains that sell "specialty" coffees.

I do like espresso (I like the results my Gaggia produces), but my first love is regular coffee (pour-over or press, depending).

I confess that I frequently use a Keurig Platinum with the "My K-Cup" for single cups - and it works great. I hope the purists will forgive me for this lapse. pouring

On a recent trip to Hawaii I met with a couple (parents of a friend) who own a coffee farm. I'm going to try to get some good pricing on 100lb lots to sell here or on GCBC when the crop comes in (45-60 days from now, depending).

This trip got me thinking about sourcing larger lots of specialty coffees - seasonally - buying them by the bag(s), and selling them in 5lb increments. I have talked to a couple of coffee importers in my area, and I will be visiting them this week. Still, I'm not sure that I want to turn a fantastic hobby into a part-time business. It's not like I need more stuff to do in life, but the allure of recent arrivals at great pricing is tempting...

Ah well.

At any rate, I love the site (I should have joined and posted sooner) and look forward to exchanging tips and ideas about the great world of home roasted coffee.

-Mike

JETROASTER
Thanks for posting Mike! Looking forward to a couple pics of your set-up. Welcome aboard! -Scott

ginny
Hi:

It would be great if you would post these in the roaster section so that all can see. Many members don't look here for roasters and I would hate them to miss these great pictures.

thanks,

ginny

rockon

crlssctt
Hello, I am absolutely new to roasting but have decided to embrace this new obsession of mine, trying to digest as much as possible, counting down until today when my Behmor arrives.
I've loved coffee since an early age, watching my grandfather make his instant coffee. Slowly, through experimentation and a slight deviation into crackbucks, I've taken a more direct approach, slowly becoming the coffee geek in my group of friends, pouring my obsession into their obscured ears.
Where I live there are few and far between specialty coffee stops. The ones that do pop up last only a few months before succumbing to the big coffee houses, so my new hobby has been merely virtual, and thus overwhelming. So little by little I've trimmed it into digestible pieces to suit my needs.
Currently, I swear by my chemex, absolutely the best cup of coffee I've ever made, especially now that I've taken the time to weigh stuff, trying to ignore the weird looks I get from my family.
I ocassionaly bring out the french press, but overall, the chemex gives me the most satisfying results.
I grind my beans using a hario skerton, though I see an electric grinder in my near future.
As for convenience, when I have company over I still use a grind and brew drip coffee maker, though with less frequency as i've become more efficient at measuring and preparing the chemed.
As I stated, I am stalking the FedEx truck waiting for my Behmor 1600, which I think will suit my needs just fine, at least until I keep reading these forums and decide to "upgrade".
Overall, I am just excited to tinker with something else, as well as trying out all the varietals of coffee that have largely passed undetected due to my obscured knowledge.

John Despres
Welcome crissctt!

Shall we call you Criss? Thanks for joining and I look forward to progress reports on your roasting adventure. We're here to help with whatever you need.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

crlssctt
Thank you very much! I appreciate the welcome, this site is definitely on my list of dailies. I can't wait to start!!!

ginny
Thanks for joining us, there is lots to see...

ginny

rockon

Ash
Hi Everyone

I've been roasting for about 4 years now. I started off with a Gene Cafe roaster before moving to a Behmor. That lasted for about 18 months before I moved to a Hottop KN8828B-2 which has served me faithfully ever since.

I was finally getting comfortable with that, until recently, when I've had a couple of problems with it, which will allow me to investigate the HCT mod. In the mean time I'll be roasting with a FZ-RR-700 'Baby Roaster' and relearning it. BBQ grill

Hopefully I'll be able to contribute here and learn things at the same time. Grin

John Despres
Welcome, Ash!

Thanks for joining. I look forward to hearing more about your continuing journey.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

crlssctt
Welcome, as a complete amateur myself, why did you go with the 'baby roasters' over the behmor?

Ash
I didn't really pick one over the other. I was lookng for an alternative to an electric roaster to give me an alternative method incase the Behmor broke. As it turns out, it was a good thought as I am currently awaiting a new control panel for my Hottop, so the Baby roaster is being used in the mean time. The Behmor got sold off a while ago to a happy roaster.

crlssctt
Very interesting. I just started watching a show on the discovery channel called Dangerous Grounds, which is about a roaster traveling around the world finding new beans, and his travel setup to evaluate beans consists of a "baby-roaster" I imagine for your reasons (non electric) and a skerton. Fun little show

thoumian
Hey guys,

My name is Ian and I live in Plymouth, MI. Coffee roasting is pretty new to me. I found homeroasters while doing some research for a friend who recently acquired an Ambex roaster and is interested in swapping out the Watlow for an Arduino/TC4/RoastLogger setup. After lurking for a few days, I'm convinced that this is the place to be for this project. I'm amazed at the amount of knowledge that you guys have here and I really look forward to contributing.

Thanks for all the time and work that you guys put into this.

-Ian

John Despres
Hi, Ian. Thanks for joining us! I'm sure you'll find the help you need here. Keep us posted as to your progress.

Welcome from the other side of the Mitten in GR.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

jlhuge
Hi all,
My name is Justin and I'm a Midwestern boy currently residing in Indiana.

I've been home roasting for 2 years come this February and just surpassed my 100th pound of green coffee ordered.
I currently use a West Bend Poppery I modified only slightly so that the temp will actually get hot enough and to make the switch control the heat only (instead of both). A shop-vac and old food strainer are my only other companions in the lonely garage to which I'm banished. Of course now that I'm roasting for friends at work, and with no control of smoke, I can't really blame the wife smile.

So now I'm on the hunt for a new roaster. Not because I dislike the Poppery, but more because of the limited batch size. Roasting 4 lbs of coffee (like I did yesterday) took 16 batches and several hours of time. Sadly the home roasters I've found that have even close to a reasonable cost in relation to my budget, don't seem to like the back to back marathon sessions that I end up doing for friends at work. In addition the roasters that seem to be fine with back to back roasting also cost more than both of my cars.

So I'm seeking alternatives, and those here seem to be of the same mindset as me.

Oh and my current favorite bean is a dry-processed from the Sidamo region of Ethiopia.

Jump to Forum: