Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
March 2010 roast comparison and tasting bean swap.
Hamilton
Unfortunately, the automated machinery did not like one of the letters I sent out. It was returned to me this morning all smashed up and torn. I re-packaged the beans and sent it again @ $1.22 with some padding inside. I hope it makes it to VA by this weekend.

John Despres
Randy's arrived today in fine form.

ThumbsUp

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

seedlings
And I rc'd from John D. and Gene C. And, since you both included profiles, Here's the loose notes I took:

Time BeanTemp
6:41__300F Yellow
7:58__325F
8:55__350F
10:08_375F
11:55_400F First crack started 406F, infrequent snaps, not very many
15:25_426F Pull, cooled, City+

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 03/24/2010 7:41 PM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

camper
I received envelopes from Randy, Chad, John & bvwelch today. All are in excellent condition. Getting excited about the cupping in a few days.

randytsuch

camper wrote:
I received envelopes from Randy, Chad, John & bvwelch today. All are in excellent condition. Getting excited about the cupping in a few days.

I thought it would take longer, but I'm not sure where you're at.

Wayne was the only other person in Cal, everyone else was pretty far away.

Wonder what's in my mail? I'm still at work.

Randy

endlesscycles
Profile:

Yellow @ 310F @ 5min (yellow = no more green hues)
1st @ 375F @ 7:30 (very first few crackles)
Finish @ 420F @10:15 (still cracklin a little, but C+ IMO)
Room temp within two minutes

Slowed way down around 400F, not stalling, before moving on to finish.

I paid for the "non-machinable" stamp and service.
I hope beans arrive well as a result.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

John Despres
Marshall, what is your roaster? I've forgotten...

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

seedlings
My roast will not be a "clean cup". I wasn't even shooting for one.

:smileycoffee:

CHAD

John Despres
Received 3 1/2 more today.

In perfect condition were CHAD's, Gene's and Bill's.

Unfortunately, after the postal machines were finished with Tim's, all that is left me are three beans and nice smelling torn envelope and torn baggie...
:@

Gene's inside packaging was torn open, but none of the beans escaped the envelope.

Maybe we need to rethink the mailing options.

John
Edited by John Despres on 03/25/2010 6:08 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres

seedlings
Rcv'd Bill's, Wayne's, and Randy's without incident... We're finding out who has the least brilliant postal workers.

I'd like to see the security videos of Tim's envelope explosion!

CHAD

endlesscycles
Was Tim's the one with the dolphin stamp? That stamp, an address to me, and machine marks are all that I got. Gene's appear to have been machined despite requesting special handling.

John: I roast with a 5lb RoasterRob design.
My beans went out on Tues due to a hectic Monday.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

Hamilton
What the h@#$ is going on at my post office? I really did not anticipate this much trouble. I told the lady at the window what I was sending and she said it would not be a problem with the machinery.

Oh well, I guess the post office smells nice now. I will be happy to send a sample of something to anyone who feels jilted, but it would obviously not arrive until next week.
Tim

John Despres
Don't sweat it, Tim! I'm going to do a 3 bean munch test with each batch so you're still in!

Dunno what to expect, but I'll enjoy it, nonetheless.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

seedlings
Tim's and Randy's roasts are here safe and sound. Tim, yours has a rubber stamp notification that it was damaged, but the envelope is just wrinkled, the coffee is OK.

I have all 7.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 03/26/2010 7:09 PM

randytsuch
I have them all but Wayne's. He is the closest one to me, so go figure.

Marshall's and Tim's got a little smashed in transit, but there are still plenty of good beans in both, I don't expect any problems, just will need to do a little picking to get the 7 grams I need from both.

BTW, did anyone else have a flashback when they unwrapped Chad's beans, back to the days when baggies contained something illegal?

Randy

randytsuch
OK, all my samples have been stuck in the same ziplock, and everyone has a "random" number, although I must admit I remember some of the names of the numbers, but maybe I'll forget by tomorrow, my memories not good.

I seperated out the whole beans from the pieces when I transferred the beans, and discarded the bits that did not survive USPS very well.

Chad's package was the only one where every bean was intact, so there is something to his "flashback" packaging style.

I plan to do the cupping tomorrow morning.

Are you guys plannning to rank the beans, from 1 to 8 (1 - 7 in my case)?
I'm not sure what, if any, different flavors I will be able to pick out, but I could subjectively rank them.

I'll already been a little toughened to rankings, since I was in the HB competition, and was at the lower end of the ratings there.

On a side note, some roasts were a little darker then I expected.

Randy

John Despres

randytsuch wrote:

...Chad's package was the only one where every bean was intact, so there is something to his "flashback" packaging style...

Ahahahaha!!!! I had the same thought...

I think lesson one this time around will be evaluating the shipping method to deliver safe beans and getting correct postage on them - I received one with 37 cents postage due.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

endlesscycles
I'll be blind cupping, cups labeled on their bottoms.
I like this form the best of many I've used:
http://www.sweetm...g_Form.pdf
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

camper
I received beans from Marshall today. Have not received beans from Tim & Gene. Hopefully they will arrive tomorrow. I will wait until after mail delivery to do the cupping.

randytsuch
Are we supposed to post the results here when we're done?

I just finished, but I need to type up my notes.

Randy

seedlings
I'm finished too. Working on a video if I can convert from .mov to some file that windows movie maker recognizes. Maybe we should wait to hear that everyone is finished before we post our tastings?

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 03/27/2010 2:35 PM

randytsuch
As I have converted my random numbers back into names, I starting to worry about offending people.

Randy

seedlings

randytsuch wrote:
As I have converted my random numbers back into names, I starting to worry about offending people.

Randy

I know how my coffee compared, so I know what's coming! We had an understanding from the beginning about having a tough skin. You won't offend me for sure - the proof is in the tasting... now I have to figure out why my coffee tastes like it does.

CHAD

John Despres
About to cup mine now. Marshall's didn't arrive today, but I need to press on.

Let's wait until everyone is confirmed finished before posting results.

Remember, thick skins, everyone! This may not be easy...

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
Okay, I'm finished, and boy what a surprise...

I'm ready to take my licks if I got 'em coming...:|

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Jump to Forum: