Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
March 2010 roast comparison and tasting bean swap.
randytsuch
I counted 9 people participating, so we each send our roasts to the other 8.

How about 15 grams per? That would give two cuppings worth, with a little extra to spare. In case somebody wants to cup one or more of the roasts a 2nd time, they would be able to.

Everyone would be sending out 120 g total of coffee. I normally roast 140-150g per batch in my popper, and I have a feeling I am on the low end of batch size here, so I think that would work.

BTW, my palate is not very well educated, so don't expect many comments, but it will be interesting to taste something, and see what everyone else thinks about the same coffee.

Randy

camper
I like Randy's idea of sending 15 grams to everyone.
I have never been to a cupping, (didn't even know that cupping was done until about 2 months ago), but it sounds like fun. My descriptions of what I taste will be limited but I will be able to say whether I like the taste personally or not.
Any dates are good for me. Retired & with no plans right now.
camper (too wet to go camping)

seedlings
I just roasted and cupped this coffee! (Should I keep my comments to myself?) The hardest part would be measuring out 7 grams if you don't have a digital scale. However, it happened to be 70 beans for my roast, including some of the teensy beans.

I like the 15g idea.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

John Despres
Hey, it's about 10 beans per gram at my house, too. Huh. Who'd a thunk it?

Grin
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

endlesscycles
Looks like John has the list posted well.

10g is enough. Personally, I like 20g for statistical relevance sake, and 40g even more especially blind so I can either contradict myself or be certain of the comments in my cupping notes. Though, any amount of sharing here is good for me.

Those dates look good. Of course there should be flex space for both individual roast and cupping dates, but to be fair to the others we should hold tight on ship dates.

I don't want to make suggestions on y'alls roast, but I do want to let y'all know this is very much a ripe dry process bean and to expect that it not follow a tight program. I feel it only fair to share that little heads up.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

John Despres
I find Ethiopias roast better with a little loser, watch, smell & listen approach, less clock and more observation...

I agree, if the dates don't work for each of us, I think there's room for adjustments on each participant's part. There's a little latitude so we can all have our samples in time for a common cupping date.

Oh, and please do not rank the roasts as a favorite or least favorite.

John
Edited by John Despres on 03/02/2010 9:16 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

John Despres

camper wrote:
I like Randy's idea of sending 15 grams to everyone.
I have never been to a cupping, (didn't even know that cupping was done until about 2 months ago), but it sounds like fun. My descriptions of what I taste will be limited but I will be able to say whether I like the taste personally or not.
Any dates are good for me. Retired & with no plans right now.
camper (too wet to go camping)

Camper,

I'm hoping the follow up discussions will help build my vocabulary. We all talk about dried fruit, honey dew, tobacco, earthy funk and chocolate, with or without cherry and even Tootsie Rolls, but now we'll be discussing it on a similar plane as we'll all be tasting the same coffee and that's very exciting!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

bvwelch
Hey Chad, thanks for the link to Jim and Bob's cupping info -- I see now where the 7g comes from.

My travel plans aren't firmed up yet, but approx 26th-30th I'd be away from the mailbox and the roaster. Thanks!

bvwelch
Hey all you guys and gals out there! Come on and join us!

It will be fun, and we will all learn something. My roasting is a disaster, you should see my notebook. :-)

Last time, I went thru nearly the whole two pounds I had, and then just picked the batch that was least nasty-looking, and sent it in. :-)

Hamilton
I will probably have about 4 ounces of roasted beans to send out. If that works with however many grams we are sending per person, I'd like to be in on this too

randytsuch

Hamilton wrote:
I will probably have about 4 ounces of roasted beans to send out. If that works with however many grams we are sending per person, I'd like to be in on this too

at 15 grams per, 9 total people (so you are shipping to 8), it works out to 120grams, which converts to 4.2 ounces, a little tight.

If you need more coffee, I have 5 lbs of green, and don't need that much, so I can send some your way.

BTW, I was also thinkgin 15 grams doesn't allow very much for grinder waste. My grinder is pretty efficient, so it would work for me, not sure about everybody else.

And, 15 grams is a little over 1/2 an ounce. Adding a envelope, and a ziplock, should still be under 2 ounces. If we just ship first class mail, around 60 cents per.

Randy
Edited by randytsuch on 03/03/2010 10:00 AM

John Despres

bvwelch wrote:

Last time, I went thru nearly the whole two pounds I had, and then just picked the batch that was least nasty-looking, and sent it in. :-)

Well, given your third place finish, I'd say you have a darn good eye...
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
I'll be cupping 8-10 gram cups. 15 grams is too much, I think. For the smaller batch roasters, 10 grams will leave a little for them to keep at home and cup alongside the others.

Let's just send 10 grams each.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres

bvwelch wrote:
My travel plans aren't firmed up yet, but approx 26th-30th I'd be away from the mailbox and the roaster. Thanks!

I think you can make the roast dates and mailing date, Bill - Cup and post when you can.

And Happy Birthday to Mom!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

bvwelch
Sounds like a plan to me.

John Despres
Coffee arrived yesterday. Thanks, Marshall.

It's all vac sealed in 227 gram lots and I'm about to run two extreme test roasts - the high road and the low road, as it were; the shortcut and the scenic route.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

seedlings

John Despres wrote:
I'm about to run two extreme test roasts - the high road and the low road, as it were; the shortcut and the scenic route.

Yep. I'm sipping some right now.

CHAD

milknmycoffee
Seedlings - Are you sure that's coffee you are sipping...looks kinda like beer....oh wait..that's not you!!!!

On a more serious note: Marshal thanks for organizing this. It is very interesting even for those of us who are merely watching from the sidelines smile

camper
To make sure I understand what is going on:
1 Roast on March 20 or 21
2 Roast light to medium
3 Do a cupping of all samples
4 Send at least 7 grams = 1/4 oz
5 Mail on March 22
6 Cup on March 27 or 28 after receiving all 8 samples
7 Post results & comments after cupping
8 Have thick skin about comments

Is that about it?

Is Marshall going to email us the address of everyone participating?

seedlings

camper wrote:
To make sure I understand what is going on:
1 Roast on March 20 or 21
2 Roast light to medium
3 Do a cupping of all samples
4 Send at least 7 grams = 1/4 oz
5 Mail on March 22
6 Cup on March 27 or 28 after receiving all 8 samples
7 Post results & comments after cupping
8 Have thick skin about comments

Is that about it?

Is Marshall going to email us the address of everyone participating?

I believe that's as clear as we have it so far, except addresses.

CHAD

milknmycoffee

milknmycoffee wrote:
Seedlings - Are you sure that's coffee you are sipping...looks kinda like beer....oh wait..that's not you!!!!

On a more serious note: Marshal thanks for organizing this. It is very interesting even for those of us who are merely watching from the sidelines smile

Having a supreme duh moment here....I mistakenly credited Marshal with organizing this.

I wanted to thank everyone involved in organizing this, especially John D. who started this thread!

John Despres
Thanks! Marshall's input has been most valuable. His offer of the beans at cost is most generous as well. Next time I'd like to see him make a couple $$ on it, though.

Marshall, are you able to send the addresses to a group in the PM section here? I don't remember...

Got two test batches of the Sidamo roasted and I'll do a couple more today. This is a tougher bean than I may have thought earlier... I'm trying very gentle roasts today.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Hamilton
I ran my first test roast today. I'm glad to hear you call it challenging because that was my exact thought. I've got enough to roast twice more, we'll see how they go.

gene
After only two days rest did my first cup of Marshall's Maduro . Hmmmmm.....needs work on my part!

"This post is really for coffee consumers who want to develop their palates, which leads to coffee becoming more enjoyable" as quoted from the blog referenced below.

I'm a worrier. Never cupped. Has led me to investigate. Some of you may be interested in discovering your palate. Here is one interesting site that may help:

http://www.jimsev...ee-palate/

I'm going to such extremes as asking my two-just graduated -from-college VISTA's to join me this week in a sit down at our office. I'm supplying several fresh roasted coffees including two Ethiopia Organic Guji Sidamo Maduro samples.

Maybe we can unravel some of the mysteries of the cupping process and get an education in the process.

Also this is the week we begin experimenting with Bill Welch's espresso machine since I just ground some espresso at Krogers.....prior to trying it in a Zass....Hey this is fun!

Suggestions welcome!
gene
Edited by seedlings on 03/08/2010 9:48 AM

endlesscycles
cupping in five easy steps:

1. sniff the dry grounds, take notes
2. pour on water, wait 3min
3. sniff the crust, take notes
4. stir in the crust while sniffing, take notes
5. take sips from spoon, take notes

That's all there is. No mystery, no skills needed, it's just getting familiar with the roasted bean.

I just got back in town. I'll re-mail the mailing list asap.
Thank you camper for consolidating the timeline into list format.

fyi, y'all: first crack starts early and goes directly into second no matter what. Roast by temperature and things should go fine.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

Jump to Forum: