Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
March 2010 roast comparison and tasting bean swap.
bvwelch

endlesscycles wrote:
fyi, y'all: first crack starts early and goes directly into second no matter what. Roast by temperature and things should go fine.

Hmmm, this sound interesting. Time to open the box and start roasting! I wasn't planning to roast into 2nd crack at all.

seedlings

endlesscycles wrote:
fyi, y'all: first crack starts early and goes directly into second no matter what. Roast by temperature and things should go fine.

I stopped City+ after the end of first crack and didn't see, hear or smell hide-nor-hair of 2nd crack.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Hamilton
I didn't think I hit second crack either, but I will have to pay attention on roast #2. With such a small bean I had a hard time controlling temps at the end of the roast.

I did a trial 'cupping' today just to see. Basically as Marshall described. Sounds much more intimidating than it actually is. Either way, I'm wishing I'd gotten some more of these beans. This is a really interesting and delicious coffee.

endlesscycles

seedlings wrote:

endlesscycles wrote:

I stopped City+ after the end of first crack and didn't see, hear or smell hide-nor-hair of 2nd crack.

CHAD

It is very possible that I am working off assumptions made during a time that I know for certain my thermocouple was acting up. I'm pretty sure I was hearing both pops and crackles simultaneously, though... will revisit closer to shipping due date.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

John Despres
Hey, Marshall!

Can you get the addresses out to us in the next couple days?

Thanks! This is gonna be F-U-N, FUN!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

endlesscycles
Will Tim Sullivan please raise his hand so I can send a PM with the address info? Charter rejected the email.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

seedlings
Got the info, thanks Marshall! Really appreciate your work.

CHAD

bvwelch
What's a practical, inexpensive way to ship out our samples?

The foodsaver material pretty tough, maybe just put that in an envelope?

Other ideas?

randytsuch

bvwelch wrote:
What's a practical, inexpensive way to ship out our samples?

The foodsaver material pretty tough, maybe just put that in an envelope?

Other ideas?

I was just going to put the beans in a ziplock, put that in an envelope, and ship with USPS. I just need to weigh one, and figure out if it needs one, or two stamps.

Randy

seedlings
^ What Randy said.

CHAD

John Despres
That's pretty much my plan to mail.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

endlesscycles
ditto. glad we are on the same page there. wouldn't want to disappoint!
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

bvwelch
Sounds good, may be interesting to see how many beans accidentally go missing along the route. :-)

seedlings

bvwelch wrote:
Sounds good, may be interesting to see how many beans accidentally go missing along the route. :-)

By the mighty beak and powerful claws of the USPS Eagle.

CHAD

bvwelch
I was actually thinking that its aroma might present an irresistible temptation to our mail carriers. :-)

camper
My wife & I did a practice cupping today of the Ethiopian for comparison & 2 other Ethiopian beans I had on hand. It was very interesting as our first cupping & especially because my wife is not a coffee drinker. Trying to come up with words to describe the smells & tastes was fun. Thanks to John & Chad for links to cupping sites.
camper

Hamilton

endlesscycles wrote:
Will Tim Sullivan please raise his hand so I can send a PM with the address info? Charter rejected the email.

PM with my correct email address sent. Or you can PM me through here.

gene
Just went to the PO to have 15 grams worth of beans assessed in an envelope. Instead of $.44 cents it will be .64. Not bad.

Postmaster said weight no prob. It will automatically be in non-sortable category because slight bulk won't go thru USPS automated equipment.
Can still use regular envelope.

Getting exciting!
Great weekend for roasting outside. I had planned on roasting Sun nite after trip to SC but that has been cancelled. Now plans are for Sat. Bring it on!

gene

John Despres
Cool! I can handle $4.48 to seven players.

Gene, did you just put them in a baggie or vac seal them?

I thought we were sending 10 grams... Did I misunderstand?

John

Respect the bean.
John Despres

seedlings
Adjusted dry times to get better flavors... I'm ready to roast!

I use Heatgun/Breadmaker. What does everyone else use? I wonder if similar roasters will yield similar flavors????

CHAD

gene
John:

Don't matter what we decided. I'm sending approx 15-17 little beans(after weighing of course to aro 15 grams)
Folks can weigh out 10 grams and throw rest in trash to make all tasting same.

I went out yesterday and got some Saran ClingPlus. Wraps up airtight and weighs less!
gene

bvwelch
Hi, I'm with Gene. In fact I wonder if so few beans will flush out of my Zass hand-grinder, or will I be blending each sample with the previous? :-)

Hamilton

bvwelch wrote:
Hi, I'm with Gene. In fact I wonder if so few beans will flush out of my Zass hand-grinder, or will I be blending each sample with the previous? :-)

That's a good point. A few extra beans to clean out the grinder is probably kind of important to get the full impact of each different sample.

Also, should we include any info with our samples? I think a folded up piece of paper with roaster type, and basic roast profile to be reviewed AFTER tasting would be nice for comparisons.

randytsuch

Hamilton wrote:

bvwelch wrote:

That's a good point. A few extra beans to clean out the grinder is probably kind of important to get the full impact of each different sample.

Also, should we include any info with our samples? I think a folded up piece of paper with roaster type, and basic roast profile to be reviewed AFTER tasting would be nice for comparisons.

I think a few extra beans to flush out the grinder is a good idea. I'm not sure a Zass needs much to flush it out though, I just have a few "crumbs" left in my Zass after grinder. I'll be using my Vario for this, which only wastes a little, but I will need a little extra for it.

BTW, I'm using a PIDed popcorn pumper for my roasting. I have tried four roasts so far, hope I can have it optimized by this weekend.'

Randy

gene
Bill: Had me wondering exact same thing-How to run thru a clean sample thru Zass each grind scientifically in order to taste the nuances of each. So few beans.....Oh well, we're blazing new ground in the HR arenas of America!

I talked to my son in Texas this AM: Kevin, two of the guys that will be tasting my roast came in 3rd and 4th in America last month in a blind tasting competition.
"What"? "Well, ones name is Bill and the other one John". "No no, those are not aliases".

I'll be at the PO Monday at 10AM-YEAH!

Jump to Forum: