Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Testing out my ronco showtime roaster
msav
My first roast was 8oz and took about 11 min to full city roast.

my second roast was 1 lb and it took about 22 min to full city roast

I documented the 1 lb roast temps each min however I left that at home and I am at work now.

Seemed to jump in temp quickly at first and then started to slow down to about 10 degrees per min after hitting about 350 degrees. (my temps are currently oven temps not bean temps since I still have not found a way to get a probe into the drum first crack at 425 and 2nd crack at 470 -22min

I was wondering if that time frame is on par with correctly roasting but not baking the beans.

I will post back the actual temps per time if that will help you guys help me.

Mark
Edited by msav on 06/24/2010 9:59 AM

seedlings
Welcome to the forums, Mark! What kind of roaster are you using?

From the info you gave us here, the 8oz looks like a fine roast, but the 22 minute 1# roast is at least 5 minutes long. If this were 100#, I'd say 22 minutes is OK.

However.. the truth is in the tasting. How does it taste?

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 06/24/2010 10:18 AM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

msav
hmm I wasn't sure if doubling the amount of beans doubling the amount of roast time is typical.

Ok. I will stick to roasting 1/2 pound at a time.

The roaster is a drum fitted inside a ronco rotisserie.

I will post the entire roast profile for the 1lb roast when I get home today.

I just roasted this last night and it is still degassing.

The beans were Tanzanian peaberry

Mark

John Despres
Welcome, Mark!

Sounds like fun, to be sure. I'm with CHAD; the 1 pound seems a bit long.

Are you profiling your roasts or just pouring on the heat? If you're profiling, we may be able to reduce the 1 pound time once you post your log.

Have FUN!
John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

msav
I did not document the 8 oz roast. Here is the 1lb roast

3min - 200
4min - 240
5min - 259
6min - 280
7min - 298
8min - 315
9min - 328
10min - 342
11min - 353
12min - 367
13min - 378
14min - 388
15min - 399
16min - 409
17min - 418
18min - 428
19min - 436
20min - 447
20:30 - 454 1st crack
21min - 456
22min - 467

these are oven temps not drum or bean temps I estimate that these temps are +40 degrees over bean temp.

I was not holding any heat back or throttling it. I was just seeing if it was capable of producing enough heat to roast 1 lb in a acceptable amount of time. 22 mins is too long so I guess that answers my question.

I will document the next 8 oz roast and see what you guys suggest I do to get the profile correct. I will probably have to experiment to see what i can do for adjusting the profile once I document what it is doing on its own.

The rotisserie only has a 3 position switch. rotation with heat, rotation with no heat and heat without rotation. I can also leave the front door open a bit to slow the roast at the beginning. you guys have any suggestion for target number I should be shooting for with a drum roaster. I saw some profile examples in the downloads section But I think they were for hot air roasters.

Thanks again for any help you guys can offer.

Mark

seedlings
Probably the closest comparison would be to the Behmor roaster, which roastes a pound in about 16 minutes as I recall.

It sounds like you gave this pound all the heat the roaster had, is this correct? Might try preheating to 450 before loading the beans..?

Did you pick up this drum/setup from Len (Coffee Roasters Club)? If so, he would probably be your best bet for tips and tricks. If not... I think you may have to settle for a half-pound roaster unless you can add some more heat - a 500W halogen lamp, maybe?

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 06/25/2010 11:17 AM

msav
Yea I got the drum from Len. The instructions he sent were basic. No info about covering the glass with Foil (Makes a huge difference) It was obvious but did not even tell to put the drum in the far back position on the rotisserie. I messaged him before I bought the drum from him ans asked about the lack of heat that it had, And he had already told me that it would probably only do 8 oz without help. I thought maybe the foil would help so I tried it.

I am happy with it being able to do 8oz. It is twice as much as my hot air poppers can do. I only go through at the most 1 lb a week.

I will roast an 8oz batch tonight when i get home and post the time and temps and we can go from there to figure out how to tweak it.

I tasted the 1lb roast today and it was not very bright, kinda Flat. Generally to make flat coffee drinkable I use an aeropress and make it concentrated add a little milk. not need for sugar since it is never bitter when using the aeropress.

Mark

msav
8oz roast Tanzania Peaberry
started in a cold rotisserie

3min - 234
4min - 272
5min - 300
6min - 350
7min - 370
8min - 392
9min - 415
10min - 440
11min - 454
12min - 470 1st Crack
13min - 475
14min - 485
I cut the power to the heating element at 13 min and it coasted up to 485 I pulled the beans at 485 and had them cool to touch within 35 secs

Keep in mind I am estimating that my oven temp is 40 hotter than my bean temp

Gotta get to working on that drum probe.

Mark

seedlings

msav wrote:
I messaged him before I bought the drum from him ans asked about the lack of heat that it had, And he had already told me that it would probably only do 8 oz without help.

Drat... But, make the most of what you have!

CHAD

John Despres
Try 8 ounces with a 300F preheat. See if you can get first crack at about 10 minutes.

Then preheat to 450F and try again.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

msav
Hmm. Something weird happening

I did what you said and have preheated the roaster to 300. For some reason when I do this I cannot, detect 1st crack. The first batch I did seemed to skip 1st crack and go right to 2nd crack. And me Mistaking 2nd crack for first crack just let it go. I ended up with some Really oily Black Beans. Not sure if it is drinkable or not.

I then did another batch. Sames thing This time I opened it up and looked at the beans, They looked done so I pulled them. Never heard a Crack But they were a good full city roast.

Could giving them a 300 degree boost be making my beans skip 1st crack?

Mark

seedlings
That's called 'sacrificing a roast' to see what happens. Any machine will need some experimenting to see it's limits and find the sweet spot. You're doing it.

CHAD

msav
No biggie. I am currently paying $3.00 a pound for my beans. Just gotta got to my local bean supplier to pick some up when I run out. It is just a bummer they are only open Monday Through Friday.

I can sacrifice 1.50 worth of beans for an experiment here and there, More times than not It ends up being a quite tasty experiment.

mark

Jump to Forum: