Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Glass Chimney for PI?
dkoch
Anyone recommend a glass chimney for a PI? Where to buy, dimensions, what type to ask for, anything to avoid, etc.??

Then, I'll need to remove the black plastic "fin" from the top of the chamber, and secure the chimney with a clamp, right?

Thanks!!

bvwelch
Hi Dave, seems like I got my chimney at the local Ace hardware store. I don't bother clamping mine, since I remove it ( with $5 welder's gloves from Harbor Freight ) every time I roast, and I don't try to tilt my popper. I choose to roast small batches - 150 grams in my P1. If I need to roast a large batch I use a bread machine instead.

I also made a crude 'chaff catcher' that sits on top of the chimney. It's a little rickety but it works. I also have my entire setup sitting in a thrift store oven roast pan/drip catcher which is a big help with spills.

Plan ahead exactly where you will put the hot chimney and chaff catcher at the end of each roast. Do the same procedure every time and you're less likely to have spills or burns or broken chimney.
Edited by bvwelch on 06/27/2010 2:06 PM

dkoch
Thanks Bill,

For chaf, I bought aluminum venting/tubing whose sections I twisted into an upside-down "U" for chaf. I set one side on top of soup can/aluminum chimney and vent the chaf into a big Cheerios box.

I'll check Ace for the chimney. I should probably get a scale, too? Right now I just dump in 1/2 cup of green....

I thought it might be good to watch the bean color develp with a glass chimney, as I mainly use sight and smell as my roast indicators. I have to shine a light down the soup can right now; kinda of a hassle. I wired down hot-pad to the base of the soup can chimney and another to middle of the chaf venting so I can see the beans.

I'm just looking to "plan ahead" like you mentioned. That's really a good point, because when I pull the roast, things can get hectic. Once, I forgot to flip the switch off before I dumped the beans; not good.

Routine, routine, routine.....like you said "plan ahead"!!

Thanks again.

Dave
Edited by dkoch on 06/28/2010 6:54 PM

dkoch
I'm looking for a glass cylinder, not the curved hurricane lamp chimney. Anyone?

seedlings

davekoch wrote:
I'm looking for a glass cylinder, not the curved hurricane lamp chimney. Anyone?

Go to Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Somewhere between Candles and Vases you'll find glass cylinders. They probably won't be tempered, BUT, if it is a loose fit, and nothing limits the expansion of the glass during heating, you'll be OK.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

bvwelch
Hi Dave, let me know what you find, but just to clarify - I do indeed use the hurricane lamp style of chimney. Works great for me.

The 'bake-a-round' cylinders are nice but I've yet to find the small one that fits - I've got a larger one but haven't made an adapter yet.
Edited by bvwelch on 06/30/2010 6:06 PM

dkoch
A glass chimney to provide a better view of bean progress is my main reasoning.

But I need a digital scale, too -- suggestions?

So many decisions.... smile

Thanks guys!!

p.s. I'm becoming obsessive....Yikes!
Edited by dkoch on 06/30/2010 7:56 PM

seedlings

davekoch wrote:
A glass chimney to provide a better view of bean progress is my main reasoning.

But I need a digital scale, too -- suggestions?

So many decisions.... smile

Thanks guys!!

p.s. I'm becoming obsessive....Yikes!

Any digital scale should work, make sure it's rated for as many pounds as you'd like to weigh, plus it should be able to convert to metric.

CHAD

dja
I bought mine at Academy Sports here in OKC. it was one of those cheap red cowboy lanterns I kept the glass globe and trashed the rest. It fit the top of the popper that I was using with not modifications to the popper.

I made a chaff collector out of a strainer that had a plastic handle on it which I cut off which left me with a sifter that was about 5" in diameter. I cut a peice of aluminum to fit the sifter with a hole in it that would let it sit on top of the chimmey with lots of slack ( not a tight fit).

This traps the chaff so if I have to I can roast a batch in the house without chaff going everywhere.

I tried the regular kerosene lantern globes but they always seemed to crack on me.

If needed i can post a pic.

my Scale I picked up at ace hardware in the housewares deptment, it weighs in both Ounce and Grams so you can use either one that you please. Oh yea it weighs up to 5 pounds.

DavidGrin
Edited by dja on 07/03/2010 3:04 PM
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette

dkoch
Bill, I ordered a digital scale: My Weigh KD-8000. It will double as a food scale.

I scored my first Popcorn Pumper (1250 watts) for $5 last night. Is there a big difference between the 1400 watt version? Is there a Pumper thread here on the forum?

Have a safe and happy July 4th!!

Dave

Paul
I am afraid of just any chimney, and I HAVE to roast more beans! I got the Pop Lite which is 1440 watts, will this be enough power is the real question.

dja
no reason to be scared of the globes or chimneys as they are called, they are all made of heat treated glass and beleive me they will get a lot hotter on a lamp or lantern then from roasting coffee in them.
what you have to watch out for is that you don't drop or bang them into things (broke a few in my younger days, and not from roasting coffee). otherwise if you take care of it and are carefull not to drop it in the sink when washing it one should last you a very long time. yes you will have to was it, the oils in the smoke will accumalate on the glass and make it hard to see thru. Simple shot of Dawn and a sponge will take care of this problem.

Go buy yourself a globe so you can watch the wonders of roasting coffee, it will make a world of differance in the way that you roast with your popper.

Oh yea almost forgot these globes are designed to have a flame burning inside them for hours on end without cracking.

You might also check out the small single mantle coleman lantern globes I thing they may also fit the popper, and they are a bit thicker then the others.

David, Roast beans have some fun, and drink the good stuff!ThumbsUp

dkoch

dja wrote:
...those cheap red cowboy lanterns I kept the glass globe and trashed the rest. It fit the top of the popper that I was using with not modifications to the popper.
I made a chaff collector out of a strainer that had a plastic handle on it which I cut off which left me with a sifter that was about 5" in diameter. I cut a peice of aluminum to fit the sifter with a hole in it that would let it sit on top of the chimmey with lots of slack ( not a tight fit).
If needed i can post a pic.
DavidGrin

David, if you have pics of the chaff collector, I'd love to see them.

Thanks!!
Dave

bvwelch
Hi Dave, just like there are different models of Poppery (P1, P2), there are different models of Pumpers. All are usable, but the innards differ. I hope you've got one of the early WearEver Pumpers with the big metal butter-tray on the side - I have a few they are great and nearly identical inside to the P1. Here's a photo of the innards - the preferred one is on the right:
http://bvwelch.co...pumper.jpg

dkoch
Bill, thanks so much for the pics. My Pumper is the 1250 watts version on the left; oh well, only $5. I did not realize that the 1400w Pumper was soooo much more substantial than the 1250w Pumper. Batch sizes per roast on the Pumper 1400w vs. Pumper 1250w? Twice as much? For example, my West Bend P1 can roast about 1 cup; the P2 about 1/2 cup.

I opened the slots on it, per Gary's post (thankyouverymuch).

smile But, last week I scored a 1400 watt Pumper version on the Evil Bay - to be delivered Tuesday. It comes with a glass chimney, which I can use for both Pumper types, I presume.

I got another Pumper 1250 version on the Evil Bay $11 shipped (not too bad)....so I'm a roasting fool.
Edited by dkoch on 07/04/2010 10:59 PM

Paul
Well Folks, I got the lantern chimney alright, but I guess I need to open up the holes in the bottom, I got some burnt ends from a lack of mobility in the beginning. But I am ready to tinker to get it right! I also bought a classinc Popcorn Pumper and will toy with that when it arrives. Maybe I started with too many beans--no scale handy but I tried 1/2 cup. I think there is just too little airflow...

bvwelch
Various kinds of green coffee will have different volumes, so weighing the greens may be a more reliable approach.

Although you can probably do more, for Poppery and Pumpers I've adopted 150 grams which may not sound like much but allows me a lot of control over the roast. Besides, when I have a disaster, I don't waste so many greens.

If your goal is to turn lots of beans brown in a hurry, then a bread machine and heat gun may be more to your liking for an easy one pound of greens per roast.

One more thing about Poppery and Pumpers -- the early models have a beefy 120 VAC or DC universal motor. The newer models have a small low-voltage DC motor (see photos above). while I prefer the early models,both styles can be modified such that they are good sample roasters.
Edited by bvwelch on 07/05/2010 11:22 PM

Paul
Thanks-the Pumper coming is the old school yellow one. Will weigh the beans. These were Sumatra beans, rather large and heavy--didn't want to use my best Kenyan peaberries for the first try. But I did grind and drip the first batch--drinkable. I think I'm hooked.

Paul

dkoch

bvwelch wrote:
Various kinds of green coffee will have different volumes, so weighing the greens may be a more reliable approach.

....adopted 150 grams which may not sound like much but allows me a lot of control over the roast.

One more thing about Poppery and Pumpers -- the early models have a beefy 120 VAC or DC universal motor. ......

Hi Bill,
Thanks so much. These points make a TON of sense; this helps a LOT.

I know it's mass vs. weight, but generally, 150 grams is how much of a cup?

Dave
Edited by dkoch on 07/06/2010 5:41 PM

dja
will post pictures of my old popper set up when I get home, in texas at the moment. should be home in a day or two.

David

dkoch

davekoch wrote:
But, last week I scored a 1400 watt Pumper version on the Evil Bay from a guy in the Boston area - to be delivered Tuesday.

Weak fan? The 1400 watt Pumper doesn't even loft 1/2 cup of green. The seller said "excellent condition".
Could I be using it incorrectly? I kept the metal butter tray inserted in the side, ~30 degree angle, stirring the beans.

I tried again, and it seemed to work better when NOT tilted. Any Pumper experts out there to give me a quick How-To?
Edited by dkoch on 07/07/2010 11:34 AM

bvwelch
Dave, just relax until you have a means of weighing the greens. I suspect you will need to reduce the amount you are trying to work with. I recommend 150g.

But also, what do you mean by 'lofting'? So long as the greens are moving and not getting scorched, don't worry about lofting them at the start of the roast -- once they begin to dry out they will be lighter and start 'lofting'.

I've got some old, and really poor quality videos here that may somehow be of help, or maybe just provide some comic relief. Note that these units have split heat and fan circuits, and the fan is 'boosted' for higher output.

http://www.youtub...r/wdmytube

Here's my secret Dave: for 'sippin' coffee -- morning drip, etc, I use the $3 bread machine with the $10 heat gun. Handles a full pound of greens with ease.

For light roasts, experimenting with profiling, etc, I use the P1 or Pumper. 150g is only 1/3 a pound, but that is OK since I have good control.
Edited by bvwelch on 07/07/2010 12:48 PM

dkoch

bvwelch wrote:
Dave, just relax ......

......and the fan is 'boosted' for higher output.

Boy, that hot-rodded fan reeeeeeeeeeeally moves the beans (mine doesn't even come close to that much movement. It looks like more than 150 grams, no?

I should maybe look into the Heat Gun / Bread Machine.

Get a 2-lbs. machine right? Harbor Freight for a gun?
Edited by seedlings on 07/08/2010 10:08 PM

bvwelch
I wish I were closer and could help you get going in person.

About the bread machine, there are many threads here for getting those going. I usually modify them for continuous stirring but if the machine has a dough cycle you might get by without modification. I also usually replace the paddle/stirrer since some are plastic and can melt with the heat gun.

seedlings
Dave, just visit you local thrift store and use whatever machine you find there (I regularly see clean, unused machines with instructions still inside for under $10). And, yes, Harbor Freight usually has the cheapest heat guns.

Blessings,
CHAD

Jump to Forum: