Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Takin' It To The Street
JETROASTER
I think I'm looking for something to slice through the milk,
rather than a traditional Italian style. As Sean pointed out, this is not all about pride. Sometimes it's just about what they want.
I've never roasted a pre-blend, how does that work out?
-Scott

Dan
Roasting preblends can be a challenge. The reason is that each bean in the mix is going to go through first and second crack at its own pace. I've had preblends that begin cracking and never stop. What this means is that going by cracks is not your best temperature guideline. For preblends, what I do is go by smell.

Chad's suggestion is a good one. Buy some roasted beans you know are good and then begin there. This reminds me, what I did when I taught myself how to pull shots was buy roasted/ground coffee from Illy. That way, the roast and grind factors had been dealt with and I could focus on tamping and timing the shot.

JETROASTER
That makes good sense. I'll grab some Illy. The Miele unit has a chute to bypass the hopper and grinder. I'll drop in some Illy, create a base-line, and work off that.
I'm hoping to get some tech info from the folks at Miele.
I'm curious what the pump can handle.
I could potentially add some tamp pressure by adding some schim below 3 springs. They seem to control the down pressure. That would be nice, but only if the pump can handle it. We'll see.
As always, thanks for the insights. -Scott

JETROASTER
Concerning pumps;
These P1 pumps are something I see frequently in my biz. I was also familiar with the cp7.

http://www.invensyscontrolseurope.com/applianceproduct.aspx?id=3064

The cp7 is listed for small coffee machines. The P1 is not. The P1 actually seems like the better pump.

Is there some reason why it should NOT be used for a coffee maker ? Thanks, Scott

Dan
The CP7 is a diaphram pump, commonly called a vibe pump, and is used in most home and prosumer espresso machines, but never commercial machines. I am not familiar with the P1 style.

Most commercial machines use a carbonator, rotary vane type pump like the Procon.

I put a Shur-Flor triple-diaphram pump on my prosumer machine. I believe there are available in 12VDC, too.

JETROASTER
The P1 pumps on both strokes. On the Shur-Flo pumps;
How does psi translate to bars?
-Scott

JETROASTER

freshbeans wrote:
The P1 pumps on both strokes. On the Shur-Flo pumps;
How does psi translate to bars?
-Scott

Found it 1 millibar = 0.014 503 773 801 pound/square inch

Dan
What I meant to say was that I understand how the P1 works, but don't know if it is a good solution for an espresso machine.

What you want is a minimum of 8 bars, but anything over 10 is overkill. My Shur-Flo came with a pump bypass valve. I set it at 130psi.

JETROASTER
What are the wrinkles in upsizing a pump on this type of unit (Miele CVA) ? -Scott

Dan
I took a look at the 4000 series. It looks like a good system for your cart. It is integrated and the right size. At that price, I have to figure that the pump they supply is good as it is. I couldn't find what pump they used. I suppose you could call them.

JETROASTER
Thanks, I think it's well enough to get started. I'll work on getting my best brew figured out, and move onto some of the larger issues with this project.
As always, Thanks,-Scott

JETROASTER
Seems like forever since this got put on hold.
The original idea was to have a mobile coffee service vehicle. The three wheeler really is fun, but a tad small to operate on its own.
......enter the ambulance. A 1989 Ford E-350 diesel. Previously an advanced life support vehicle with a focus on transport. It's not quite as tall as some others ,but very comfortable to sit in. It has been parked in the warehouse for well over a year, waiting to get outfitted. It has (limited) AC and DC. Shore power, and air compressor.

The revised plan is for the ambulance to initially become my new roasting room, with a longer range plan of using it, in conjunction with the three-wheeler for some retail applications. It will at first function inside the warehouse strictly for roasting and packaging .

So, first things first. How does one incorporate a 5-7 lb roaster into an ambulance...while retaining the option of removing it when needed?

I'll get some interior shots posted soon.

Ok HRO...let's hear it. -Scott
JETROASTER attached the following images:
ambl.jpg trailer.jpg

John Despres
Does the roaster weight 5-7 pounds or is that the drum capacity?

A trailer with a fork lift?

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

John Despres
Wait! What about one of those ambulance gurneys with the collapsing/folding leg sets? You could take it in and out all day.
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

jkoll42

John Despres wrote:

Wait! What about one of those ambulance gurneys with the collapsing/folding leg sets? You could take it in and out all day.

Winner!
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

allenb
Here's an idea for roaster location. Make a roaster mounting shelf and attach to the inside of one of the side doors. When you pull into a state fair or such, all you have to do is open the side door and the roaster is out for public viewing while roasting, Smoke is outside the vehicle.

Keept he EM lights operational so you can cut through the line at an event! :smiley-837.gif:
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Dan
Paint it fire engine red emblazoned wiht ECT (emergency coffee technician).

Frankly, I think it would be easier and cheaper to build a second roaster than to try and rmake it removable.

tamarian
Is the three wheeler really done with? If not, here's a nice setup"

http://www.burnie...ver-beans/
tamarian attached the following image:
11576locatie_06_1.jpg

Wa'il. 1 Kg PID'ed gas-fired fluid bed roaster, GS/3MPS, K10F

Dan
That's a GREAT setup. I like the butterfly hatches that act as sun-rain-windscreen and create space. They badly need rubber mats all around the thing. Not only as cushion for the operators, but to occupy space and make it seem larger.

JETROASTER
Totally love the white-walls!! No, the three-wheeler still lives. It needs a head gasket and a general spruce up.

I think John has caught my concept. Something that can roll in and latch down, then be removed to install some other purpose.
I plan to install and oversized gas leaf blower to push my current roaster, (5-7lb capacity) using the excess airflow to dilute and eliminate exhaust.
That blower and exhaust system can remain installed in the side compartment, while the burner, RC and chaff system can be removed as a module.

Allen, New York requires all the flashing lights etc to be removed for registration. (Homeland Security...bla...bla...)

Any ideas on a well built gas leafblower?
-Scott

ginny
gotta ask, what dd ya pop for the bus scott?

-g

JETROASTER
The truckster; 2900.00$ The ambulance 2000.00$
The ambulance is a freakin' monster! -Scott

ginny
tamarian, great setup, WOW, is that yours?

ginny

was not sure
cool

tamarian

ginny wrote:

tamarian, great setup, WOW, is that yours?

No, but I wouldn't mind having it, or just the speedster, or even a single group speedster smile
Wa'il. 1 Kg PID'ed gas-fired fluid bed roaster, GS/3MPS, K10F

ginny
I want that ambulance, it looks huge, gotta love it.

-g

rockon

Jump to Forum: